Thread: canned foods

Default canned foods

sticking with my food theme here's another

going thru my cupboards today realizing there is some cans I've purchased but haven't used in at least two yrs, Ive called maple leaf foods and gotten some codes trying to get a hold of primo foods to find out theres, have to get rid of allot of cans what a waste, good news i bought them all on special.

Blog Entries

Wink Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    sticking with my food theme here's another

going thru my cupboards today realizing there is some cans I've purchased but haven't used in at least two yrs, Ive called maple leaf foods and gotten some codes trying to get a hold of primo foods to find out theres, have to get rid of allot of cans what a waste, good news i bought them all on special.
    My wife marks the date on top of canned goods and other stuff like bags of pasta, whatever, then, periodically, goes through the pantry throwing out "old" stuff!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

that's my new system if i bring something in today i mark it with an 87 eight month seventh yr to keep it simple.

wareagle69, how long have the cans expired? what is the limits?
    We have eaten from cans that are well stored and not rusty or bulged that are 3-4 years old, chili.
    To thyne self be true

most of them are two to three yrs old, now i am sure that you could probably double the time line that the manufacturer has labeled on their cans, just wondering who has eaten a four or five yr old can of tuna or corned beef, honestly the soups i am not concerned about just the flaky chicken, and turkey and wild salmon essentially the sandwich meats that you wouldn't cook like veg or mushroom soups

Cooking them hot enough for long enough and they should still be eddible
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

i agree w/ the soups but who's gonna do that w/ sandwich spread..

I would, then let it cool and it should be fine
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

There have been instances where food packers such as Del Monte or some such have stored cans for decades, openthen up, tested the contents and found them to be perfectly edible.

I have personally eaten "K" and "C" rations that were ten to fifteen years old.

But the trick is, when you decide on the amount to be stored, just rotate the foods, eat the oldest first, before it goes 'bad'. Thereby forcing you to buy foods that you eat anyway, and not keeping them too long.

The down side about storing any type of food, is that food losses some of its nutritional value after awhile (mostly vitamin content), but not enough for you to worry about.
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the whole world know that today is the day of reckoning
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

I have had one can of c-rats back in 72 that the applesause was black and use to fight forest fires in Calif. and they feed us old c-rats all were fine . The sniff test is best some thing old is proably going to have a bad oder or color and bulge. It has been sugest by storage types to try to rotate you stuff to the table. On a good note I have never heard of a bad can of spam, how about you? I beleive that dry or dydrated stuff stores so much better nitrogen packing these realy extends these.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.