Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shelf life on propane canisters?

I see them too Sarge! Sasquatch is wearing the skirt I gave him last Christmas! How cute!

There's little difference between CNG (natural gas) and LPG (propane). Folks cook on CNG stoves indoors everyday. CNG has a safety advantage because it's lighter than air while LPG can "pool" if there is a leak presenting a potential fire hazard. You should never store LPG tanks on their sides or indoors for that reason.

On the flip side, LPG is a bit more economical because you'll use less LPG to do the same work when compared to CNG.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

If you want to be sure, and especially if they're the smaller canisters, weigh them on a gram-accurate scale. Weigh them when new, weigh them after each use, baseline how much you use per meal. If you don't use them for a year, weigh them again to make sure none have outgassed. Make sure you know what kind of gas it is - if it's plain old propane, that's not very complicated, but there are a variety of mixes out there in the smaller hiking/camping size cartridges. It's good to know the performance characteristics of your gas at different temperatures - some deal better with cold temps than others. All in all, they seem to last at least a few years with no problem in my experience.

Thank you, Mattco, I have started a small collection already and weighing them is an excellent idea. Mary

Great. Uh, I forgot to mention it, but just in case it's not self-evident, use a permanent marker to record the date and weight on each canister as you go along. Once you know your baseline use (x grams/cup of coffee...x grams per meal when cold/windy...), you can also annotate that on the bottoms as a reminder. This way, when you're packing gear, you don't have to think too hard, waste time, or overpack. I hope I'm not being too wordy or too stunningly obvious. :-)

Good tips Mattco.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Great tips!! I would have never thought of it, I'am just learning this stuff.

You can get an adapter to refill the small canisters from the bigger tanks or bottles.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

Ive got propane bottles 15 years old. Just opened one up last week and it worked fine..................

Thanks for the update. It's always good to hear practical experience. When you get a chance, head on over to the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I always been partial to wood, since the woods are full of it and all you need is an axe. But I have to admit, those new Coleman Propane stoves are the way to go, with a 20 or 30 lb propane tank. Those little canisters are ok I guess, just seems to be an expensive way to buy propane. One of the things I like is that Coleman Calytic propane heater. Anybody have one?

I've used a catalytic heater when I lived in the Seattle area. I used to spend the weekends skiing in the Cascades. Couldn't aford a room, so I folded down the seats of my Pinto hatchback and slept in the back. Built a little platform for the heater......it's amazing that I didn't blow anything up.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Pinto hatchback. Ah, it was a good life wasn't it?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.