Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shelf life on propane canisters?

Question Shelf life on propane canisters?

So I went to Academy this weekend and bought a camp stove and some little coleman propane tanks. We tested it out, it worked fine and put everything away. I am thinking everytime I go to Walmart or Academy I will buy a few and just leave them there to build up in case of emergency. Well lets say its been a few years .. say 5 years.. I have an emergency now I need my propane canisters, are they still good? Do they last that long? BTW does anyone know how long they burn? Am I wasting money just to let them build up then, they wont work when I need them. Any help would be great!!

Mary - The shelf life on propane is virtually indefinite as long as the tanks do not leak, or the valve become damaged. The length of time a canister will last will depend on the rate at which the fuel is used. In my coleman 2 burner stove, using both burners - maybe a couple of days. Using one burner and and lower settings maybe 4 or 5 days. You can also use the bigger bottles (the 20 lb lp bottles you normally see on gas grills). They may last you more than a month.

Edit: If you use the larger bottle, you will need an adapter hose.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 09-23-2008 at 06:22 AM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You can actually buy an adapter hose with multiple connections so you can run a camp stove and your lanterns and any other propane devices you want off one big tank if you're setting up something long term for a camp.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Thanks Crash! Thanks Trax! I am learning so much from you guys, I suppose I can find the adaptor hose at Academy also? I will take a look next time when I am in town. Also I thought propane was safe for indoor use but I was reading the warnings against carbon monoxcide (sp?) dangers.

I've used propane stoves inside wall tents, always good to have some ventilation I suppose. I heer that prolgoned expozhur to propain can affekt sum of yer fizicul and menatl capabililities, lik tpynig and speeling.

well and yeah, enough of it can kill you, there is that, ventilation's a good thing.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

have i been gone from the good ole us that long what is academy?
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Never heard of it. Just figured it was some kind of store that sold stoves.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

yeah but you breathe in bug spray all day long soooo i take your ramblings light sometimes or maybe you have heard of it but forgot you never know with these bug and pest guys

What the? Now wait just a minute there mister........What were we talking about? Oh Look! Rabbits!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

C'mon Crash from here that looked like rock,not a wabbit
    And I never heard of that store either
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Ha Ha. Now you know what I've been talking about. At least it was a fuzzy rock.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

oh dang it now i forgot what was the question again

Hey Guys, Academy is a huge sporting, fishing, camping, hunting store. It is all over the Texas Valley I just thought it would be upnorth also. They have a great website that you can shop from. Did I mention I also bought a stand to make Beer up the Butt Chicken? At 4 bucks and it holds 2 chickens with a can of beer up the butt!! What a bargain!! A hillybillies paradise!!

Quote Originally Posted by marylp View Post
    Hey Guys, Academy is a huge sporting, fishing, camping, hunting store. It is all over the Texas Valley I just thought it would be upnorth also. They have a great website that you can shop from. Did I mention I also bought a stand to make Beer up the Butt Chicken? At 4 bucks and it holds 2 chickens with a can of beer up the butt!! What a bargain!! A hillybillies paradise!!
    Don't you get feathers on your lips while you're drinking?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

So,when chicken take their beer up the wazoo,they require assistance standing?? hmmmm never knew that,butt then I've never seen chickens take their beer that way either

J/K
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    So,when chicken take their beer up the wazoo,they require assistance standing??
    I know that I would......ouch!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

C3H8. That's the chemical formula for propane, lol. I can't get the 3 and 8 to be in subscript. That's about all I know of propane other than it's a heavy gas, and Hank Hill has a peculiar affection for it. He's referred to it as "a family fuel" and "God's gas." lol

Gods gas.. wow weird, as long as it burns.. I suppose. Thanks Ranger!

Quote Originally Posted by marylp View Post
    Gods gas.. wow weird, as long as it burns.. I suppose. Thanks Ranger!

You'd have to see the show. King of the Hill actually delivers a moral message at the end if you're intuitive enough to grasp it. I think he calls it "God's gas" because it's efficient and clean burning.

Blog Entries

Cool Hi Mary...

I've had those little propane canisters for 10 years & every time I use one I have no problems. I actually think that it's a good idea to store them.. Or, like Trax was saying, get a larger tank, but read all the warnings. When I was a young-un we lived in a mobile home out in the country and had to use propane for both our furnace & cook stove. we never had any problems, at least I'm normal, at least I'm normal, at least I'm normal, at least I'm normal....Oh look, it's the little aliens again, and they brought Sasquatch with them....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin