Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 82

Thread: Alaskan Wilderness Adventure

  1. #1
    Member Hemingway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    41

    Default Alaskan Wilderness Adventure

    I am not sure where I post to look for backpacking / wilderness survival partners, so I thought here was fine.

    This upcoming summer I will be heading out to the Alaskan wilderness to survive off the land for a bit. The time frame can range from a few weeks to a couple months depending on who would come.

    I am looking for someone who might be interested in this kind of adventure and would be able to spend a portion of the upcoming summer backpacking, hunting, surviving in the Alaskan wild with me.

    I understand the risks and that is why I am taking the time to prepare ahead of time. Venturing out with a partner or a small group will make the trip both more successful and enjoyable.

    Some background information on myself:
    I am a 26 year old male from the Yorba Linda area of Orange County, California. Right now I'm finishing up my bachelor's degree at Cal State Long Beach. I have recently returned from my 2nd tour in Iraq and am now finished with the Marine Corps. I have some survival experience from time spent in British Columbia, Canada in winter.

    If this kind of trip sounds interesting to you, feel free to message me.
    Obviously, you want to meet get to know someone before heading out on a big survival trip.


  2. #2
    Senior Member nell67's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    7,577

    Default

    Let the games begin.......
    Soular powered by the son.

    Nell, MLT (ASCP)

  3. #3
    missing in action trax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    yonder
    Posts
    6,809

    Default

    Actually, that was a fairly well articulated post compared to most adventure offers we see come and go here. Good luck Hemingway.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

  4. #4
    Senior Member nell67's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    7,577

    Default

    Yea,but he should at least get to know us before he asks us out to the woods with him,muahahahaha!!!!!!
    Soular powered by the son.

    Nell, MLT (ASCP)

  5. #5
    missing in action trax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    yonder
    Posts
    6,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Yea,but he should at least get to know us before he asks us out to the woods with him,muahahahaha!!!!!!
    ---speaking of that, did I ever tell you guys about MDN's marvelous meatloaf? There's something in that recipe that I just can't place, but mmmmm, yummy!
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chugach National Forest
    Posts
    9,795
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default

    I think the problem is that people are using the wrong words. So Hemingway, describe what it will look like......We all get naked and just head into the wilderness, (That was done successfully 6 years ago).

    What would this adventure look like, that some food or no food...? Take a sleeping bag...?

    See I think what people call a survival adventure might look like a pack pack hike, eating berries, and salmon, trout, etc.

    But maybe Hemingway has a different picture in his head....?

  7. #7
    missing in action trax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    yonder
    Posts
    6,809

    Default

    I think young Hemingway explained himself quite well, he said summer time, he said living off the land, he indicated a few weeks to a few months, he said he's been preparing and described his own outdoor experience and military experience. I would think it's now upon anyone who thinks it's a good idea to join him to press him for further details, and that way we don't need to spend another thread ripping someone apart. Now, as to pictures in one's head, Hopeak you know I've been trying to stay away from those mushrooms, since I was lambasted as a hippy by the much lamented SamR. but hey....anytime anyone wants to compare the pictures in their heads, I'm up for it.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chugach National Forest
    Posts
    9,795
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default

    My point is that what he calls survival adventure, I would call a subsistance exercise.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    42,939
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I too thought that Hemingway did a good job with his request and explanation. Obviously to anybody interested there will be many more questions. Welcome to the forum Hemingway and good look with your adventure. Thank you for your service.
    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not your house
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Hemingway, We need more information........location, mode of travel. Are you taking any food? Alaska has strict hunting regs. will ya fish for supper or gather berries? more info please.

  11. #11
    missing in action trax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    yonder
    Posts
    6,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    My point is that what he calls survival adventure, I would call a subsistance exercise.
    you say tomayto, I say tomahto, you say....aw heck you know. I just thought he did better than a lot of other new folks, but see ol Fletcher there is looking for more info...c'mon Hemingway, get up and bark at us...attaboy.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

  12. #12
    Member Hemingway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    41

    Default Clarification

    Wow, interesting responses to my post. Of course I expect to get to know anyone who might be interested, that is why I am posting so far in advance. By doing this, I am hopeful that I can begin a dialog with those of similar interest.

    In the meantime prior to actually setting out to Alaska, I will be purchasing better supplies and equipment and practicing survival skills further. Right now I am in the pre-planning stage so not every detail is worked out yet, such as exact location, date of departure, etc. I am hoping those things can be developed with the partner or small group, but regardless, I will be planning as time goes by, even if I cannot find someone.

    So, regarding the specifics: Yes to sleeping bags, iso mats, initial food and staples (salt, rice, etc). Hunting and fishing would of course occur.

    I apologize if my original post was unclear. I did not mean it to sound hyper minimalist. I fully intend to venture into the wilderness well supplied, i.e. warming layers, poncho, waterproof boots, firearm and enough ammunition, collapsible fishing pole, snare wire, parachute cord, finger saw, machete, several alternate sources to create fire, etc. etc.

    As far as time frame is concerned, I am flexible for the summer depending on the needs of who would join me, but ideally I am thinking May/June and the trip could range from 2-3 weeks to 2-3 months or so. I know that sounds like a broad spectrum, which it is, but I understand that people have lives, jobs, school (as I do) and I am not setting the time line in concrete. For myself, I'd like to be out there for a month at least, assuming everything is going well, but I am totally flexible depending on people's circumstances.

    If anything I wrote is unclear, please let me know and I will try to explain more. Also, I don't expect this to result in "yeah, sign me up". This is more of an invitation for me and people of similar interest to start discussing if it would be something worthy of undertaking together. I definitely want to talk and meet with whoever would be interested and hopefully be able to do mini trips or at least some practical application exercises before setting out, so we will be comfortable with each other and have a level of confidence in each other's outdoor competence.

  13. #13
    missing in action trax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    yonder
    Posts
    6,809

    Default

    How very refreshing, thought, pre-planning. This young man could set a dangerous precedent for some of our adventurous types.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chugach National Forest
    Posts
    9,795
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hemingway View Post
    Wow, interesting responses to my post. Of course I expect to get to know anyone who might be interested, that is why I am posting so far in advance. By doing this, I am hopeful that I can begin a dialog with those of similar interest.

    In the meantime prior to actually setting out to Alaska, I will be purchasing better supplies and equipment and practicing survival skills further. Right now I am in the pre-planning stage so not every detail is worked out yet, such as exact location, date of departure, etc. I am hoping those things can be developed with the partner or small group, but regardless, I will be planning as time goes by, even if I cannot find someone.

    So, regarding the specifics: Yes to sleeping bags, iso mats, initial food and staples (salt, rice, etc). Hunting and fishing would of course occur.

    I apologize if my original post was unclear. I did not mean it to sound hyper minimalist. I fully intend to venture into the wilderness well supplied, i.e. warming layers, poncho, waterproof boots, firearm and enough ammunition, collapsible fishing pole, snare wire, parachute cord, finger saw, machete, several alternate sources to create fire, etc. etc.

    As far as time frame is concerned, I am flexible for the summer depending on the needs of who would join me, but ideally I am thinking May/June and the trip could range from 2-3 weeks to 2-3 months or so. I know that sounds like a broad spectrum, which it is, but I understand that people have lives, jobs, school (as I do) and I am not setting the time line in concrete. For myself, I'd like to be out there for a month at least, assuming everything is going well, but I am totally flexible depending on people's circumstances.

    If anything I wrote is unclear, please let me know and I will try to explain more. Also, I don't expect this to result in "yeah, sign me up". This is more of an invitation for me and people of similar interest to start discussing if it would be something worthy of undertaking together. I definitely want to talk and meet with whoever would be interested and hopefully be able to do mini trips or at least some practical application exercises before setting out, so we will be comfortable with each other and have a level of confidence in each other's outdoor competence.
    Sounds reasonable, if I can help just ask. I have been doing that for 39 years in Alaska. I would suggest you dial in a location first as that will determine what gear you will want. For example: Everyone on the planet loathes hip boots, but many professionals only hike in hip boots, not of choice. Have fun, go for it.

  15. #15
    Member Hemingway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    41

    Default

    hopeak, thanks. I will be seeking your wisdom on what gear you suggest as well as other information that will be of use regarding Alaska.
    Due you have e-mail?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not your house
    Posts
    304

    Default

    What no knife? Sounds like a plan. You will probably have fun. Like hopeAk said you will need hip boots. In Ak if its not up hill its WET. Tundra in the summertime is HARD WALKING
    you will also need a head net or extra blood handy. Head nets are cheaper though! Have fun man. Be carefull not carefree and watch your six. you'll do fine.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chugach National Forest
    Posts
    9,795
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hemingway View Post
    hopeak, thanks. I will be seeking your wisdom on what gear you suggest as well as other information that will be of use regarding Alaska.
    Due you have e-mail?
    Yes, But others would enjoy the dialog. You can PM me if it is personal. Maybe we should have the conversation in the blog section or on this thread. A lot of people will have the same questions. This is what I joined the forum to do. "Those that are to old to do, teach".

  18. #18

    Default

    and those that are to young to do learn.

  19. #19
    Member Hemingway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Fletcher, yes, I will be bringing a knife. I was not listing every single piece of gear I am taking, just was trying to explain that this is not some venture in minimalism, and that I will head out well equiped.

    Any and all insight into gear will be greatly appreciated though. If people want to post gear lists I will be happy to see the different perspectives.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not your house
    Posts
    304

    Default

    well I'm 61 and still under the impression of a doer until I'ma doing!!!!!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •