Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What sort of socks are best?

Banned
    Blog Entries

I always grab the socks that have the least number of holes. Real men don't wear socks.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    I always grab the socks that have the least number of holes. Real men don't wear socks.
    Wait a sec... You grab socks... but real men don't wear them?

So either you carry socks around for fun, or you're not a real man???
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdraino View Post
    Wait a sec... You grab socks... but real men don't wear them?

So either you carry socks around for fun, or you're not a real man???
    Congratulations you solved the riddle: I am not a real man.

Quote Originally Posted by tacmedic View Post
    sgtdraino- what if you wear a liner sock under the wool socks so it doesn't come in contact with your skin? Like a polypro liner sock? They are super thin and you can barely tell that they are there. I too favor smartwool socks for general hiking/wear and I have several pair of wigwam 40 below and Thorlos Expedition socks that I wear for serious cold.
    Thorlos make the best socks hands down in my opinion, as far as durability and warmth, an awesome sock.
    Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.
    Aldo Leopold

I also wear smartwool. They are a great all year sock. They make different ones for different seasons. I have gotten them at REI on sale for around $5 but are worth the $16 price tag.

Smartwool here. I don't own anything else and haven't, for about 12 or 14 years.

My winter sock selection is similar to others here, but I will tell you my favorite summer time socks...

Nylon dress socks. Some people will say they suck in boots. They are right. I don't wear them in boots. But, May to September, I hike in trailrunners. And trailrunners with nylon dress socks are awesome. If they get wet, they dry very fast. They also weigh half of what a normal hiking sock weighs. Goldtoe is my preferred brand. I bring three pair. One I wear, and carry two. At the end of the day, if I am hiking for more than three days, I wash one pair and they are dry by morning, or after a short trip on my pack in the sun.

In the winter I wear them with wool or synthetic socks over top, like a liner sock.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I tend to wear cotton socks or woolen aircrew socks

What type of environment? What type of climate? Those are really the important questions to answer when trying to determine what type of socks to wear.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The ones that don't stick real bad. Socks huh, that's the topic. Well, let me see. I wear white cotton socks for the most part. When I was a kid I wore them white tube socks with the red and blue stripes, they came up to my knees. When I was a logger in the winter I wore a single pair of wool socks. While deer hunting I would wear a pair of cotton socks to my tree stands then change into a pair of wool socks and a new (dry) pair of cotton ones.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...