Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Camping or surviving?

i buy camo in case i need to front to rear disappear but the use bright orange or yellow tape to mark my equipment in more peaceful times to disappear simply remove tape.

Blog Entries

I prefer bdu's in the woods for a couple reasons. First they are light, second are pockets, third is that when wet, they dry fast, fourth they are baggy and that helps prevent heat rash's.

Most times when I'm in the woods, I don't want to be seen and they work out just fine.

I prefer the mil. camo rather than the ever so popular fashion driven Bass pro to K Mart sold camo.

As far as packs, I don't care as long as it's a nature color. Browns and greens are good. Boots are either green or black.

When I venture into the woods prim. style, then it's natural colors, lightweight. I have switched from buckskin leggins to a light cotton and muslin for shirts. I have both buckskin leggins and a shirt and they are very fashionable at the rendezvous but I just don't like wearing leather.

EXCEPT when it's really cold. I will put on wool leggins, covered by buckskin leggins, wool socks in double soled mocs with high wraps up to my knees. The breech clout is wool and the muslin shirt will be used under the wool overshirt. If it's really cold then I will switch to a wool shirt, buckskin overshirt, and canvas wrap.

i'm more modern my freind doesn't the wool itch like a bugger?

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    i'm more modern my freind doesn't the wool itch like a bugger?
    I love wool. i own a ton of it. I also own Browning hydro fleace. For eqipment i tend not to buy camo products. Because I don't want to search for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    There seems to be a problem here where the lines between survival and camping are getting blurred. It is my educated opinion that if you sit down, plan it out, then do it and everything goes according to plan, that's camping, not survival, even if you're duplicating survival skills and using you're survival gear. The type of camping is the question. For example, TBWN's are not going out to survive, they are going camping, minimalist camping to be sure, but camping. They've laid out their plan, made their equipment list, short as it is, and are going to leave soon. If &/or when it all goes "south" then they'll find themselves in a survival situation. People like myself & Marscroft who take everything they can into the woods are the other end of the "camping" spectrum. Oddly enough, those who plan properly and carry the right amount of equipment and knowledge into the field never really run into a survival situation. This is the 1st of several posts on this thread that I'm going to do to see what you folks think. Starting out here is "defining survival". Now you all know what I think, tell me what you think!

Yawn, this is rediculous. Camping " spectrum" ?? Whats the difference? I beleive in your confusion. Defining survival you say? You seem ill qualified to define that. Do you just write well, or do you have any practical knowledge of survival skills? just sayin...

P.S. The ad for Peak Oil after your first post concerns me.

Blog Entries

Camping becomes survival when the **** hits the fan. Injuries, sudden climate changes, along with a variety of other scenerios.

I think it was mid to late 60's, up on Lake Superior. Duck hunting season, hunters went out for a leisurly day of duck hunting. A storm blew in, temps dropped severely, hunters could not get out of the marsh's fast enough, birds were actually freezing. What started as a Sat. moring duck hunt turned into death for many.

Just never know when it's going to go wrong.

I tend to think that I'm surviving monday to friday 9 to 5 so that I can go camping on the weekends. I think that camo clothing for the most part is a huge marketing ploy. Are we all supposed to feel more Rambo-esque because we've cleverly disguised ourselves as trees? Don't be surprised if a dog walks up and cocks a leg...
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

Never got into the whole camo thing, I have a ghillie suit for stalking, but other than that I wear the same clothes in the woods that I'd wear anywhere.

I've never had an experience with a dog, but I HAVE had birds perch on me and leave their little white markers.
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the whole world know that today is the day of reckoning
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

Quote Originally Posted by BillHay View Post
    Yawn, this is rediculous. Camping " spectrum" ?? Whats the difference? I beleive in your confusion. Defining survival you say? You seem ill qualified to define that. Do you just write well, or do you have any practical knowledge of survival skills? just sayin...

a) a family of five parks their rv at a lakeshore and spends the weekend floating around in a little rubber raft, swimming, barbecueing hotdogs, watching dvds at night, all in a well maintained and monitored "campground" I take a bacpack with biscuits and jerky, my rifle and hunting knife, a tarp and a box of matches and take off 30 miles up the Bloodvein River where there is no one. We're both camping. They are different situations.

b) How do you know how qualified or "ill qualified" he is based on his posting?

c)I didn't see an ad, why does Peak Oil concern you?

d) If it's ridiculous, what does that make a person responding to it? We've had a few postings lately that have degenerated into personal attacks, please don't make this one of them.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Thanx Trax!

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    a) a family of five parks their rv at a lakeshore and spends the weekend floating around in a little rubber raft, swimming, barbecueing hotdogs, watching dvds at night, all in a well maintained and monitored "campground" I take a bacpack with biscuits and jerky, my rifle and hunting knife, a tarp and a box of matches and take off 30 miles up the Bloodvein River where there is no one. We're both camping. They are different situations.

b) How do you know how qualified or "ill qualified" he is based on his posting?

c)I didn't see an ad, why does Peak Oil concern you?

d) If it's ridiculous, what does that make a person responding to it? We've had a few postings lately that have degenerated into personal attacks, please don't make this one of them.
    I simply put this guy on my ignore list as soon as I read hi s post. Thank you for telling it like it is!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I simply put this guy on my ignore list as soon as I read hi s post. Thank you for telling it like it is!
    Hey man, team work means we got each other's backs right? I figured you can handle criticism, but...I suppose it's all in how we say it. I was thinking afterward that I might have said worse to volwest when we were arguing, but dang it, I've learned to shet the h### up! LOL

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Teamwork!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    Hey man, team work means we got each other's backs right? I figured you can handle criticism, but...I suppose it's all in how we say it. I was thinking afterward that I might have said worse to volwest when we were arguing, but dang it, I've learned to shet the h### up! LOL
    A lot of people don't realize what all that one word means. When Michael Jordan played for the Chicago Bulls Basketball Team, a lot of people thought he WAS the team!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Default teamwork

A wolf pack spots a moose laboring in the snow on top of a frozen lake. Do they all light out after it? Hardly.

Most of the pack circles past the wolf (oh yes, they're fast buggers) The two alpha wolves chase after the moose and start nipping at it's heels, trying to sever the rear tendons. The panicked moose's first response is to run away ...flight before fight, and runs into the rest of the pack. The other pack members lunge for the throat and the front leg tendons and the alpha male will take the final kill shot at the throat. There's now too many wolves for the moose to put up an effective fight. It's ugly to behold. The alphas will feed then drag mouthfuls of meat back to any pups too small to hunt while the rest of the pack feeds. It's actually really gross to see the way predators will start eating before the prey is finished dying, but it happens. It's ugly to behold, but it is awesome team work.

I think I've said this a few times before, so have a couple of others....Go Wolfpack!

A lot of people don't realize what all that one word means. When Michael Jordan played for the Chicago Bulls Basketball Team, a lot of people thought he WAS the team!
    Yeah, it seems that today's multi-media society has bred instant celebrities for everything. It really does take away from the fact that without the other folks in the team, there are no superstars.
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

wolfpack we are honored to have a true legend among us. welcome to our home bill hay

wolfpack we are honored to have a true legend among us. welcome to our home bill hay
    Do you know something about him we don't?

if this is the same bill hay that i know of then yes but i need to read more of his posts to be sure..

if this is the same bill hay that i know of then yes but i need to read more of his posts to be sure..
    Maybe you could tell us of the bill hay you know, like why is he a legend?

The Ads are automatic, there's one after every first post.
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

in my humble opinion if bill posts something it comes from vast experience, i do not know why i have not seen his posts here earlier or the friction between him and others, but bill is someone whose opinion and knowledge i do respect he is the real deal boys and girls..