Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: flooding; what would you do?

non-senior senior member Assassin Pilot's Avatar

MY area hasn't gotten heavy rain, just a bit of a drizzle. We never get any flooding here, and even if we would it would head downhill to the nearby river. I'm over 150 feet away from the river, and the whole area basically slanted towards the river so I'm pretty darn safe.
    "He who throws dirt is losing ground"

Regarding Katrina and New Orleans...

The thing is:
    1. Don't live in a flood zone
    2. below sea level
    3. at the edge of a large lake above sea level
    4. in hurricane country.

If I've told ya once, I've told ya a thousand times.

Rocket science... live on high ground, lock the gates below and let the world float by way down below. Or live in the low lands, drown or get over whelmed by the masses fleeing the rising waters...again.

The thing is:
    1. Don't live in a flood zone
    2. below sea level
    3. at the edge of a large lake above sea level
    4. in hurricane country.

If I've told ya once, I've told ya a thousand times.

Well, I'm good for three outta four! I live in north Florida - but Tallahassee hasn't been smacked in a long time - a particular quirk of topography diverts storms either west (sorry P-cola!) or east (sorry J-ville!), so we are blessed.
    However, the '93-'94 flooding did cause us problems due to rivers bringing it down. Again around 2001 it hit us again. My sister had her property in what was basically a dry riverbed - WRONG!! She got flooded five times in ten years and finally moved.
    When I bought my property in 2001, I was smarter. Looked at the heights and slopes - bought on a high spot. Close to the National Forest, so can BO by MC into the boonies, bypassing the bumper-to-bumper Storm-Evac traffic.
    I've plotted many routes northward, bypassing paved roads. I've ridden them, and know the low spots that could (and would!) flood.
    My neighborhood won't flood - the wind is our bigger enemy!
    I'm about fifteen miles from the coast too, so no storm surge for us!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Step 1, don't live in a flood zone.

Throughout history highground has always been the best places for human settlements, why has this changed?

It is also worth it to stay away from active volcanos and fault lines.

So ya, buy or build a house on a hill. But atleast owning a boat like FVR said would be practical.
    Urban sprawl.... as to the reason for change.. and then, dikes all around to channel the potential flood water... or a lot of fill dirt piled up and then build on top of that... Just look at Chehalis/Centralia WA. last year.. nothing but a flood plain and it does that every year .. mostly to a lessor extent.

If I get flood waters. Well the river is a mile away. From the top of the clif it is only 125 foot down. So if water from a flood comes in my back door, it is too late to run.

I live on top of a mesa. It might be weeks geting out of here if the damn damn goes. But water washing over me would not happen.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!