Thread: Premaculter what type of trees would you recomend?

Default Premaculter what type of trees would you recomend?

Hi I am moving to some land with my parents and I want to plant some trees that I could use for food, shade, ETC when camping on the land. The type of soil is sand down to about 75 feet but we do have some clay near a creek we have on the land. also it has to be resistant to goats, rabbits, antelope, and high wind. your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

What grows there now?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

only 2 Chinese elms and a few coyote trees. we tried to grow some pine but they were eaten by goats and antelope.

Apples are pretty wind resistant due to their short stature and hardy once they reach maturity. I would certainly put some wire caging around whatever you decide on. No need to let the critters beat you to it.

How much water is in the creek?......
    Things to consider:
    Location of land, elevation and zone, frost dates......
    Learn common local trees
    Annual rain fall
    Trees that produce food, apples nuts, etc, need to be protected (cages) and will take several years to mature....
    Need enough in your plantation or area to pollinate.
    All trees are kinda slow growing, for shelter or shade.....fruit trees generally are small an low to the ground.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    How much water is in the creek?......
    Things to consider:
    Location of land, elevation and zone, frost dates......
    Learn common local trees
    Annual rain fall
    Trees that produce food, apples nuts, etc, need to be protected (cages) and will take several years to mature....
    Need enough in your plantation or area to pollinate.
    All trees are kinda slow growing, for shelter or shade.....fruit trees generally are small an low to the ground.
    well we get about 12-24 inches a year average around here and the creek is dry by fall and has water in spring to summer and it has cattails to. I am thinking of honey locust, pinon pine, and white oak which both grow around here. as for elevation I don't really know. My dad is growing fruit trees for all of us but it will not be where I would want to camp.

Talk to your county extension service. They will be able to suggest which species are best adapted to your area and which will do best for what you want. You can probably get them either free or for much less through them as well.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I don't know if there is anything a goat won't eat.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant