Thread: Kayaking the Inside Passage

Default Kayaking the Inside Passage

Alright, so here is my latest adventure that I have been planning:

Me and a few friends should kayak down from Skagway (Alaska) and go all the way down to Vancouver Island.

We are a bit unsure as of the starting date.
    I was wondering... would you guys happen to know what would be good to gather/fish in between May and September along that part of the North-American West Coast?
    I know certain berries associated with that coast, though not all of them. I also have a pretty good knowledge on the edible mushrooms. However, I have nearly no knowledge when it comes to ocean-fishing.
    Any help/insight would be appreciated!

Can't help with any advice - just offer you good luck in your new adventure.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I would think a couple of really good requirements would be an excellent, well referenced and detailed map along with a GPS. There are SO many islands and inlets to get lost in. And you're talking about 900 or so miles. That would be an epic adventure.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

tons of salmon can be caught if you have the proper gear and fishing license. You will need a way to get fresh water, a weapon in bear country, expect a lot of cold rain and a lot of boat traffic.

Banned

Are you serious?? You would still eat Salmon after the reports coming in showing the contamination. Feel free to enjoy my share. That goes for Tuna as well.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 02-10-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    Are you serious?? You would still eat Salmon after the reports coming in showing the contamination. Feel free to enjoy my share. That goes for Tuna as well.
    contamination?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I would think a couple of really good requirements would be an excellent, well referenced and detailed map along with a GPS. There are SO many islands and inlets to get lost in. And you're talking about 900 or so miles. That would be an epic adventure.
    I have very detailed maps of the section from Skagway to Prince Rupert already. I still have to find the other half of the trip, though (but the route can mostly be "follow the ferries".

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz123 View Post
    tons of salmon can be caught if you have the proper gear and fishing license. You will need a way to get fresh water, a weapon in bear country, expect a lot of cold rain and a lot of boat traffic.
    How big would the salmons be? What would be a proper rod for that? And I would guess when fishing in ocean water, there is going to be a whole lot more to fish that'd be edible. You know about anything else?
    For bears, it seems like we're only going to have bear-spray. None of us have gun-carrying licenses.
    When you say "a lot of boat traffic", to what extent is that? How many boats (and which type) would I cross per day?

salmon range from 3 to over 50 pounds. You will be limited on your gear due to the size of your boats which means you are better off getting advice from someone with experience doing that kind of stuff.
    Try this site http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com for pretty much everything you ever wanted to know about Alaska