Thread: "Lifesaver" water bottle filter

Default "Lifesaver" water bottle filter

1.5 pounds, Filters 1500 gallons. 15 nanometer pore size.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354735,00.html

Notice the drinking end in one picture is in the "dirty" water, thus contaminating the person drinking the water.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I may try to get one of those,I bet it lives up to the claims.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

And just how are you supposed to fill this bottle w/o submerging the drinking end into the water source...

good call on that one...

Says "since the bottle uses a carbon filter, it makes water safe and sterile." For cleaning wounds they say.

Guess I have a different idea of what sterile is!

And I have a problem with trading off a pound and a half for only a pint and a half of water. I also wonder if the pound and a half weight included the water. I doubt it.
    Last edited by Gray Wolf; 09-08-2008 at 01:55 PM.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Just found this:

Fresh water is essential in keeping anyone alive, which is why the Life Saver bottle has already garnered plenty of attention as it is able to make foul-smelling water drinkable within seconds. Each bottle can distill between 4,000 to 6,000 liters without having to change the filter, making this the perfect solution in emergencies such as natural disasters and even war. Heck, it works so well, it can even clean up fecal matter without the help of chemicals. Each Live Saver-Filter enabled bottle retails for approximately $385, but when you think of the lives it can save, that is but chump change.

The first pic in the news article looks like it has a siphon tube attachment on the bottom. Yeah, pretty stupid to contaminate the mouth piece. I think we've discussed the life saver bottles before. I just don't know about the claims of how much water it can filter. In the pics I've seen, they were filtering from some pretty nasty looking water.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

For $385 each, I'll use my Sat phone and have the water delivered!

Oh, I agree. There's not much likelyhood that I'd spend that kind of $$ on a water filter....there are so many other options available. If it's the one that I'm thinking of, they were developed to supply to third world countries in order to provide safe drinking water and reduce sickness. You know the kind of program. We develope this $30 product, promote it as saving the world, sell it at a huge mark-up, get rich........
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by chazlawyer View Post
    And just how are you supposed to fill this bottle w/o submerging the drinking end into the water source...

good call on that one...
    It was designed by the military I believe.

With the pore size so small you would have to submerge the bottle for 30 minutes or more to fill it up. What a dumb product.

I've run into this so many times. I've watched folks take their dirty water and clean water tubes out of the same bag to hook up to their filter. Uh, cross contamination, I mention then get the deer in the headlights stare. Blink. Blink.

Good catch. Me thinks I'll pass.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You guys are spot on. These filters are over hyped and a dime a dozen in portraying themselves as saving the world. Pure market hype.

I would never trust my life to a water filter. Too many ways they can go wrong.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

But, but, but, I like my MSR filter. It does a good job. It gives me clean water (sniff) and a lot in a short time (chin trembles).

Mom! RR doesn't like my water filter. He says it's hypie.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Water filters have their place. I do like mine for providing clean water in a short period of time. Here are my water purification preferences.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

What the heck are you doing with split wood in Florida?

Good choice. That katadyn is a good filter, too.

I have the MSR Sweetwater kit and I carry Katadyn micropur water tablets as a backup. Boiling is a backup backup.

I've got a little clay chiminea on the deck next to the work shop. In the harsh winters I like a little ambiance.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

"Harsh winters". ROTFLMAO!

Hey.......it gets below 70 sometimes!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I was in Tampa once and it got down to like 28 overnight. It was a plumber's field day. All those water pipes that were exposed or inside the exterior walls were trashed. Just about everyone had a horror story to tell about broken pipes.

Yeah - they make a huge deal about it when we have a "hard freeze" coming. Especially hard hit are the older sections of town. Mostly off-grade homes with none of the pipes being insulated.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel