Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Forging a knife

Nope I don't even have a cell phone. But I kind of like it that way, because then I don't get all the prank crap that all my friends send around to everyone they know who has a cell phone.
    "When we get people who are more concerned about reading the rights to an Al Qaeda terrorist than they are with protecting the United States against people who are absolutely committed to do anything they can to kill Americans, then I worry"-Dick Cheney

Use one of your friends phones to take the pic and then just email it to yourself.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'd like to do that...but I'd have to take the knife into school, because I nevre see them anywhere else. Oh and the knife has been delayed, justthe guard got made this saturday, and I can' go back to working on it until next week. Don't worry, I'm going to find some way to get pictures of that thing up!
    "When we get people who are more concerned about reading the rights to an Al Qaeda terrorist than they are with protecting the United States against people who are absolutely committed to do anything they can to kill Americans, then I worry"-Dick Cheney

YES!!! I just became a senior member!

Well I used a hacksaw to cut out teh guard, then I used the beld grinder to get the edges nice and straight and then used silver sodder to secure the guard to my knife, although it was on there pretty right just from friction. So the guard needs to be filed and stuff, to make it look right then all I need are the handle scales, rivits and to shine and sharpn the blade. Then It'll be done. I haven't een able to visit the blacksmith more than once a week because he's really busy. But he says that next visit it'll be done. I'm thinking 2 more at the least though.

Well the knife's finished!!!! I just got done polishing and sharpening it today. It's nice and sharp, and everything. Now all I need is a disposable digital camera or soemthing to get pictures up. There's be here eventually, so anyone who wants to see it can.

Looking forward to seeing it BG.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm glad you're still interrested Crash.

Well it's all done, I just have to make the sheath. And find a way to get pictures on the internet of course. My dad is going to borrow a digital camera sometime and then I'll put the pictures up. It's really nice though, and very very sharp.

That's great BG, you must be proud, can't wait to see the pic's!

What kind of edge did you put on it? Flat? Convex?
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Still looking forward to seeing the pics. I'm getting older though, you may have to hurry.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well there's a digital camera at my dad's work so it could be up tomorrow. But I don't really know how to put pictures on this site. I hope that I could figure it out. Stay alive dang it!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
    That's great BG, you must be proud, can't wait to see the pic's!

What kind of edge did you put on it? Flat? Convex?
    Well just kind of done by eye, but it's supposed to be a flat grind, but looking at it, I'd say it's a cross between flat and convex. I kind of like a convex edge though becuase it retains it's edge better than a hollow ground blade, but of course it can't get quite as sharp as a hollowground blade. Still it's very sharp. It shaves hair off my arm adn sheers right through computer paper, and cuts through paracord easily. Those are basically the three ways I test if my knives are sharp enough or not. my new Cold Steel Recon Tanto is the sharpest thing I've ever had. I can just pull it effortlessly through paracord. It's seriously like cutting butter. I want you guys to get to see the knife I made so bad though, I hope I get teh pictures up tomorrow.

OK here's a picture of the knife finally. The dents in it are a ball-peen finish in case you're wondering. The piece of metal is what it originally started out as, and I put a quarter in one of the pictures just for perspective. I hope you enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great work Blood Groove. Looks like an apprenticeship well spent.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Nice work blood Groove!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Survival Instructor S.E.R.E Guy's Avatar

Cool knife, but the question I have is are you going to have it as a show knife or actual opperational field knife?
    I've made a few knives before with antler and micarta handles and if your going for a show knife pins look good but if your going opperational I recomend screws because pins and rivets tend to get worked out after a while of putting your knife the the motions

Hey S.E.R.E. Guy,how about heading over to the introductions thread and telling us a little about yourself!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

BG that is one honking big knife! And really cool! Nice work. Have you made a sheath for it yet? if so i would like to see it. Thanks for sharing the pics before crash died.
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

Quote Originally Posted by S.E.R.E Guy View Post
    Cool knife, but the question I have is are you going to have it as a show knife or actual opperational field knife?
    I've made a few knives before with antler and micarta handles and if your going for a show knife pins look good but if your going opperational I recomend screws because pins and rivets tend to get worked out after a while of putting your knife the the motions
    I definitely want this one to be a working knife. I really wouldn't want to make a show knife, I mean it's like making a really nice looking car that can't drive or gun that can't shoot. I'd like to be able to use this one a lot, but you're right the rivets, I don't know if they'd hold tight forever, even thought they are poored pewter. Actually the middle one didn't quite secure the handle to the tang so I had to use some superglue. I like the idea of using screws or something more dependable. The last thing I want on a knife is a loose handle that makes that annoying ratteling noise if you accidentally drop it. Of course this was my first knife, so the next ones will hopefully have improvements. Do you have any pictures up of the knives that you made? I'd love to see them.