Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How am I supposed to cook inside!?

Having just recently had to 'survive' almost totally unprepared, no power for nearly 2 weeks, in winter, with only a tiny generator keeping just the furnace running (and that at a very low heat setting), being 'stoveless' was part of a good reality check (read "Kick in the Pants" which is why I found this place).

We cooked outdoors. Mostly on the BBQ but also on a camp stove. The camp stove set off the garage fire alarm so outside it went.

A buddy of mine would have probably died during the same storm without battery-powered CO alarms. He had inadvertently put his genny upwind of his house with the prevailing wind pushing exhaust fumes into the eave vents. He was already feeling woozy when his alarms went off.

I've used sterno type stoves. They aren't exactly what you'd call high-heat and certainly not something I'd want to have to rely on for the long term.

A lot of today's gas stoves have safeties on them that require electricity to open the gas valve when lighting. Be very careful when selecting a modern gas stove. Ask if the stove can be lit with a match and no power.

Also, it makes a difference if your gas comes from a street line or a stand-alone tank. It would take a major disruption to stop a street line, but it could be shut off as a safety procedure in a heavily damaged neighborhood - then you are SOL. A tank has to be rationed. Especially if roads are impassible for a refill.
    Last edited by LowKey; 03-13-2009 at 11:24 PM.

Some years back a friend of mine had a camper that a tree had fell on and destroyed. I was helping him clean up the mess and noticed it had a small propane cook stove. 3 burners and an oven. I asked him what he was going to do with it. Said he didn't need it that I could have it.

I've only ever had to use it twice, last time was during the snow storm we had on 03/13/93 that knocked out the power for only 6 days. It still works perfectly and is ready to go if needed.

I always keep several propane bottles filled because we're total electric also, and have an infra-red gas heater as back-up heat. I also have a small generator but it isn't big enough for everything.

Ag.

Why not a cast iron wood stove?

My parents had one, and living out in the woods they were often the last people to get electricity restored after a storm. I remember growing up at times we'd make mac & cheese or even pizza on the wood stove.

There are two ways, you can keep it open and cook with a cast iron dutch over right in it (or hanging infront of it). Or close it up and if the top is wide enough, use it like a range top.

Plus, it is also a heating source. It was in our basement and it could heat the whole thing up. Cast iron just radiats heat like crazy.

Of course, you need a chimney, and the stove, it isn't cheap. Cheaper would be getting an outdoor model (outdoor brick oven really) made, no having to put a chimney in.

Honestly though, I cannot imagine building a house without a wood stove inside of it. Retrofiting might not be an option, but for new construction, definitely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by marylp View Post
    Hey Smoke, How do you know the propane tanks really last a long time. I currently have about 30 of them. I buy 2 or 3 three everytime I visit the sporting goods store or walmart. What is the oldest you have used? Thanks in advance. Mary
    I had a buddy at work give me his 20 lb propane tank (the big white ones used for outside gas grills). I then went to Bass Pro Shop and bought a 5 foot converter hose for my Coleman stove for about $20. Now I can use the big tank for propane for car camping, as well as if we need it for home cooking.

I have found that the little green tanks do not last all that long. I always bring 2 or 3 camping with me because I'm not sure how long one of them will last, especially if it is not brand new.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

I didn't know they made such an adapter. Can you post a picture or a link? I'm wondering if it will work with other "gas" stoves like an MSR or Brunton camping/backpacking stove. That would be a great deal for power outages, etc.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I didn't know they made such an adapter. Can you post a picture or a link? I'm wondering if it will work with other "gas" stoves like an MSR or Brunton camping/backpacking stove. That would be a great deal for power outages, etc.
    Rick - not sure if it fits other brands, but this is the hose I use for my 20 lb bottles to hook them up to my Coleman propane appliances (stove and lantern) http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...ategoryid=2036 I picked mine up at WalMart (several years ago).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel