Thread: Merrell

Question Merrell

I've been thinking about getting some Merrell shoes for everyday wear around school and for day hikes to waterfalls. I have a list of about 30 waterfalls that I want to visit so I would like for them to be waterproof since I'll probably be gowing through some small tributaries. Any suggestions or comments of pros vs cons? Or maybe a different brand? Any and all info will be much appreciated.

Daniel
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Blog Entries

If you're sure you are going to get your feet wet the go with a shoe that dries quickly. Any thing that keeps water out will also keep it in. The only way to keep your feet dry is not to step in water or have shoes taller then the water is deep. This is why allot of people up here ware knee boots. Uninsulated in the summer and heavily insulated in the winter. I am partial to Lacrosse Burly boots.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

I try to stay out of the water but rocks sure can be slippery when wet. That can leave you with wet feet that make the annoying squishy sound everytime you take a step and regretfully making you looking stupid in front of your date.

Just for comparison of waterproof shoes and regular shoes, let's say on a typical sunny day of 75* with no wind or humidity, about how fast will quick-dry shoes dry out while wearing them? (the quick-dry shoes have always confused me vs the normal par of shoes)
    ~Rocky Balboa

Blog Entries

Fast drying shoes in the conditions you just described should dry in less then 2 hours. Regular shoes will take quite a bit more time. If you get water in a pair of waterproof shoes it can take many hours for them to dry.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

RX - Here are some reviews that may help you with your decision. http://www.consumersearch.com/www/sp...ts/review.html
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have a pair of Merrell shoes that are half trail running shoe/ half river shoe and they are great- I can't remember the model. They have little 6 drain holes in them and water runs out of them quickly. Also, the foam of the footbed is rubberized and doesnt absorb water and squish around. The material is a real wide weave of nylon and it dries in seconds not hours. There is some mesh material that takes a little while to dry (maybe 30-45 minutes) but it never feels like your wearing wet shoes. I raft guide in these shoes all the time and love them. I think you'll be very happy if you can find a similar shoe. They are as convienent as wearing a river sandal, but afford the protection of a trail shoe
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

I had a pair of british army issue hot weather boots, Great for anything that involved walking through water, They where as waterproof as a teabag, But had dranage holes on the bottom of the sole, Them and a few pairs of warm spare socks was a great combo. I like to go for only lightly insulated footwear, preferibly all leather for support, and waterproofing. Gore-Tex and such will keep your feet dry, But will also keep any water in your boot, It also in my experiance takes a heck of a long time to dry out in the bush.

Hope that helps
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Jason, could these be the shoes that you were mentioning?

http://www.merrell.com/Product/NZSZZ...pro-Maipo.aspx
    ~Rocky Balboa

thats the shoe! I have been really happy with them
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Does the nylon hold up well as in not ripping and getting holes in it? If so, I might have just found what I was looking for then.
    ~Rocky Balboa

Mine have held up really well. However, I do minimum walking in them. Basically, just walking from the office to the van, then from the van to the raft, and then back. I have never hiked in them- they have been almost exclusively water shoes. But, I've owned several pair of Merrels in the past and they have always been durable

I'm planning on more of hiking with minimal water exposure so the thing I'm concerned about is them getting snagged on sticks and the like. They would also be worn every single day whether it's just walking to class or playing rough sports. I read one review saying that the didn't hold up for the hiking they did, so I'm on the search again.
    ~Rocky Balboa