Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Best locations / Survival stories

Talking

Well obviously the reg members don’t have access to the ip tracking like you do. So if he has had other accounts that have been banned that use the same ip then I understand you wanting him gone. I guess the only thing I could say is then call him on that right away, as in, tell him you know his ip and you know he just made another account to cause trouble, etc, etc, etc. That way the reg members that don’t know his ip, will read you post and know he is just a troll and will just ignore him.

Also I didn’t flame anyone. I might have been a bit critical of you insulting him, but I didn’t say anything that wasn’t true, also if this is the "The Wolf Pack" then your hide should be thick enough to take someone being a bit critical towards you right

I guess the only reason I posted my original response was because this new member seemed like he was actually willing to listen to some of the advice given, he was going to keep the back up food and supplies off in the car and then changed that to keeping it close by when other members cautioned him. It just seemed like a member that had a lot of potential to learn got driven away, but again didn’t know his ip was of a known trouble maker. It’s all good the Trolls gone and harmony is restored.

Oh and Crash I was going to respond back to a few of your points but I guess there isn’t much point anymore, if the guy was just full of BS.

I second all the previous posts by Dbldrew. I am confident in my bona fides, but it seems like every time someone new asks a question, the "wolf pack" circles for the kill. For this reason I don't post here much at all, just read the responses and move on.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Geez...

Quote Originally Posted by go2ndAmend View Post
    I second all the previous posts by Dbldrew. I am confident in my bona fides, but it seems like every time someone new asks a question, the "wolf pack" circles for the kill. For this reason I don't post here much at all, just read the responses and move on.
    Oh for cryin' out loud! Who's the "drama queen"? Somebody get me my violin!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Again, D.D.

Quote Originally Posted by dbldrew View Post
    Well obviously the reg members don’t have access to the ip tracking like you do. So if he has had other accounts that have been banned that use the same ip then I understand you wanting him gone. I guess the only thing I could say is then call him on that right away, as in, tell him you know his ip and you know he just made another account to cause trouble, etc, etc, etc. That way the reg members that don’t know his ip, will read you post and know he is just a troll and will just ignore him.

Also I didn’t flame anyone. I might have been a bit critical of you insulting him, but I didn’t say anything that wasn’t true, also if this is the "The Wolf Pack" then your hide should be thick enough to take someone being a bit critical towards you right

I guess the only reason I posted my original response was because this new member seemed like he was actually willing to listen to some of the advice given, he was going to keep the back up food and supplies off in the car and then changed that to keeping it close by when other members cautioned him. It just seemed like a member that had a lot of potential to learn got driven away, but again didn’t know his ip was of a known trouble maker. It’s all good the Trolls gone and harmony is restored.
    We don't "ignore" trolls, we ban them! However this guy split before we found out. Rick is the guy who often finds this stuff out but he's not around near as much as he used to be. Also I didn't mean to infer that YOU were flaming, I was refering to the other Trolls who've been on here. We do what we do here, a lot of the members are out-spoken independent types, but then that goes with the territory. Not too many "warm & runny" members here I guess. Here's the 1st clue about these type of people like the fellow who started this thread: They jump on here without introducing themselves & post something just like this fellow did, asking for advice. At this point we've been taking them at face value. Then, when they don't get all "sweet, gooey, pat-on-the-back" answers they'd hoped for they go off on the ones that responded. (flaming) That's when we usually check the Ip addresses, only I'm doing it sooner now. You are in no danger of any sanctions as stating your opinion is not an infraction, but more what is expected. Shoot, if we sanctioned every one on here for stating there opinions it'd be pretty lonely.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My $0.02... I visit this forum on a regular basis, contribute when I can, and have found it a good resource of information. I have tried to stay away from the hot topics such as; pushing new members to the intro. page and harsh responses to new members questions. I try to welcome new members aboard. All this has served me well.

This is the only forum I contribute to so I don't have any real experience in the management of such a forum. If I read a thread I don't like I just go on to another one. If I post a comment and receive a negative response from a person, I just ignore them if I feel it is unjustified. (This is the World Wide Web)

The "Wolf Pack" of regular members and moderators can be harsh and sometimes unreasonable, but these are also some of the best informed and good people I've communicated with.

In my "opinion" I believe that it can be hard to tell the difference between a new member that is just so new to survival training that they ask poor questions or have misconstrued ideas, and someone that is just looking to stir things up.

I have made it clear that I feel some members react too harshly to new members and this has led to many people leaving the forum prematurely.

For new members I've asked them to get to know the regular members, learn their personalities before jumping ship. I've found that a member may totally disagree with you on one subject and back you up on another one.

The bottom line is that; if you can conduct yourself professional disputes are very rare.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Being nice is never going to educate a "numpty", shock therapy may.
    Personally have seen people (on their way to a camp out) going for a "nature call" 10yds off a highway and get turned around. Tired of having to go in after them and being nice and holding hand because...
    Have been on some European boards and a vast amount of them really have no concept of wilderness but they will get their backs up if you even suggest common sense acquisition of any pertinent skills that they have read about but never practised except in their deepest dreams.
    I have a friend who teaches wilderness living and "survival" each in its own context and the first few days are an extreme eye opener for these "ROMANTICS".
    Sarge may be harsh (the bush is harsher) but he ain't far from his reading the intent of these starstruck bushwackers.
    Keep on Sarge

Quote Originally Posted by tsitenha View Post
    Being nice is never going to educate a "numpty", shock therapy may.
    Personally have seen people (on their way to a camp out) going for a "nature call" 10yds off a highway and get turned around. Tired of having to go in after them and being nice and holding hand because...
    Have been on some European boards and a vast amount of them really have no concept of wilderness but they will get their backs up if you even suggest common sense acquisition of any pertinent skills that they have read about but never practised except in their deepest dreams.
    I have a friend who teaches wilderness living and "survival" each in its own context and the first few days are an extreme eye opener for these "ROMANTICS".
    Sarge may be harsh (the bush is harsher) but he ain't far from his reading the intent of these starstruck bushwackers.
    Keep on Sarge
    I disagree, if you drive someone off what exactly are they learning? Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying we should be all loving and group hugs for all kind of attitude. But the fact of the matter new members are going to join and have big plans to “rough it” in the wild. And while I agree this kind of behavior can be dangerous, calling them names and insulting them will not dissuade them from going out into the woods, it will only dissuade them form coming back to this site and that doesn’t help them or this site at all.

I’m also not saying we should patronize stupid ideas and behavior, there is nothing wrong with being blunt with them, just don’t let it resort to insults.

dbldrew, maybe not as far as name calling other than "numpty" but...

a numpty chooses not to learn, he/she has already some romantic idea that is almost impossible to dislodge and will argue ad infinitum their error or misinterpretation against the logic, experience and dare I say common sense of board members or disregard it completely.

Example: Owl girl:
    "I tried to show my friend the right way by pointing out that the sand on the trail she was going had no tracks in it that should have been there by the group that went befor us. She refused to even look. There was another friend with me who agreed with me but the other still wouldnt listen and she just kept going. We went with here till we were far away from where we shoulda been and she got scard realized we were going the wrong way and then let me lead and we got back just befor dark."

just an example, some people can not be reached because they cannot admit that they don't know or the new idea panics them or they just want to be a troll..

To many "survivor shows" that cater to the flash and mirrors instead of being truthful, then the newbie come here or other boards and argue TV flash against reality.

So far Sarge has an excellent track record.
    Last edited by tsitenha; 11-13-2008 at 05:55 PM.

starstruck bushwhackers? man, I like that, I hope I can find an excuse to call someone that sometime soon. Starstruck bushwhackers....just kind of has a ring to it. I bet my Dad even likes that one. But seriously folks, I think pgv has about the best attitude out there,(I know, I'm one of the nasty ones sometimes...heartfelt sigh) thanks for that man.

Still gonna call someone a starstruck bushwhacker, though
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Starstruck bushwhackers. Tsitenha, I gotta hand it to you that is a good one. Someday it might have its own "Sticky"
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Or the name of an outfitter chain........
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Talking

GEezz, I go away for a little while and look what happens.
    gun con·trol n. definition 1. The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker received that fatal bullet wound. 2. The ability to hit what you are aiming at. 3. The first key step of a corrupt political agenda where good citizens are disarmed so that a dictatorship may replace a democracy in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by CTracker View Post
    GEezz, I go away for a little while and look what happens.
    I know, it's been chaos here, bloody anarchy, rioting in the streets. I kept saying to myself, if only CTracker would come back, he'd settle everyone down. Thank goodness you're here, bunch of starstruck bushwhackers is what we've got to deal with! Welcome back
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Welcome back CT!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Remy, maybe I don't express myself well enough: I don't have your education in prose.

If were me, in Owl girl place (she's to nice) I would have left the other lady go on her merry way after the first attempt to "educate". I no longer care what happens to "numpties" that make their own twisted errors as long as it does not affect me.
    Maybe with a parting word (can I have your car when they don't find you in the morning? )

CHB

If I am with a group I will stay with the group out of politeness and being social but when decisions of the group or certain individuals recklessly (read unreasonable) endanger my family, my friends or me and if they (the group) can't see the forest for the trees,, well I 'm off and if I do fall then I fall that just a part of being out in the wild.
    And as far as they might save my life, I may save their lives, that point is not relevant; I'm not a seer so I can't predict the future.
    Do you react to people just because they may do some good or bad to you in the future?
    CHB

Remy, I think you think to much...

Now you got me thinking...and that's always bad.

Too many times I have seen some fool go off on a delusional tangent and good people get hurt trying to "help", "guide", "protect" him/her.

I have a limit to being social, if they go their way even after being advised and it ends wrong.. well it a "SHOCK TO THE GENE POOL"

CHB

Now, its your turn to answer, I am trying
    we can keep this going till the mooze come home

CHB

I never was accused of being a "human" quite the opposite I am a BREED.

click away

Thank you, Thank you kindly