Thread: bamboo bow

Default bamboo bow

Question for the self bow enthusists if you were to make a quick bush bow and you had to use bamboo what exactly would you do to the stave as far as carving , treating, sealing etc.

I would assume that they wouldn't do much to it other than shaping it with a knife of some sort. I say so, because you mentioned that it was a "quick bush bow." When I hear that, I hear something that not a lot of time is put into, just something that will work to get a quick meal. But I'm not a bow maker either...

Daniel
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

I think you would have to do a lot of sanding to remove the rim of the sections of the bamboo. I would start off with a 2-3 inch thick stave. You could probably get by with small thin bamboo saplings to construct a bundle bow, but I hate those types. I don't know iv'e never worked with bamboo, not familiar with it.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

Oh and try to get a bamboo stave that has thick outer part, like half inch or more, to accomodate the hollow parts.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

Blog Entries

I would cut many 1/4 to 3/8 inch saplings, then bundle them in groups of 6 or seven. Make one long bundle, then two bundles that are a 3/4 the length of the long bundle. Then one bundle that is half the length of the longest bundle.

Then I would lay the longest bundle down, then put one 3/4 length bundle at one end, the other at the other end then tie them tight at the ends and in the middle. Then take the last bundle and center it on the middle and tie both ends, then twice between the end and the middle on both sides. Then wrap a handle at the middle.

Ya have about a 35 / 40 lb bow. As it dries it will pick up a few pounds. If it takes a set, string it backwards.