Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite lunch food when on the trail

Default Favorite lunch food when on the trail

I don't mind taking the time to make a proper dinner for myself at the end of the day (gingham table cloth, candles, crystal wine glasses, gypsy violinist etc) and for breakfast I'm quite happy to chow down on a bowl or two of granola or something. However when I'm out on the trail, I always struggle to come up with something practical and/or tasty for lunch.

Trail mix just doesn't do it for me (raisins are the devil's dangleberries) and I can't be doing with the M&Ms and peanuts, salt and sugar thing. I suppose I could chop down a couple of trees with my swiss army knife, fashion them into a trebuchet and take down an elk, field dress it and carve out some steaks. But then I'd have to carry a 5 gallon can of kerosene to get my fire lit and that would be heavy.

More to the point, even with my stove, I plain ol' can't be bothered to take the time to cook a meal in the middle of a day's hike. I'd much rather just pull something out of my pack, munch on it while resting my tootsies for half an hour, then be on my way refreshed and revitalized.

Last time out I took some summer sausage and a block of cheese, but the weather was unseasonably warm and by day 2, the cheese was soft, sweaty and decidedly unappetizing. And the summer sausage was kinda greasy and left my mouth feeling as though I'd smeared it with lard. (Did I mention the weather was unseasonably warm?)

So my question for you, experienced ones...what do you normally eat during the day while trekking?
    Life is too short to hurry through.
    ~ Kenny Salwey

summer sausage/dry salami and a sharp cheese is always a good one, with some brown mustard and maybe crackers.

both are compact foods and keep you on your feet for a while.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Catfish, why are you in a hurry? That's one of the reasons I really like the Esbit stove. I can cook something light and (a must) make myself a cup of Joe, and enjoy the view.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

I like a can of smoked oysters and some crackers.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

oh yeah; let's not forget kippered herring. just be careful if in bear country.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
    Catfish, why are you in a hurry? That's one of the reasons I really like the Esbit stove. I can cook something light and (a must) make myself a cup of Joe, and enjoy the view.
    Type A personality, I suppose. It takes me a few days to get out of the "Ohmigosh look at the time and there's still so many miles to do" worker-bee mentality.

I just really don't like taking a heap of time out of the middle of the day, no matter what I'm doing - working, exploring a new city with my camera, hiking - I'd rather just grab a sandwich and keep going.
    ~ Kenny Salwey

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Montana View Post
    I like a can of smoked oysters and some crackers.
    I'm liking this idea. Thanks
    ~ Kenny Salwey

sausage n cheese is a favorite , like jerky , crackers an cheese , ramon noodles I could go on and on gorp is awesome too

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    summer sausage/dry salami and a sharp cheese is always a good one, with some brown mustard and maybe crackers.

both are compact foods and keep you on your feet for a while.
    Is there a particular brand of summer sausage that you use Canid? (And if you're going to tell me to make my own, forget it - I don't know how and I don't have time to learn)
    ~ Kenny Salwey

Fruit.
    Apples, oranges, pears.. what ever you fancy..
    and hard boiled eggs.
    Surviving in Los Angeles-

Jerky, summer sausage, slim jims, crackers, pouch of tuna, granola bars, fruit roll-ups. I've recently tried my hand at hard tac (Rick's recipe) with a little honey or molasses.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

jerky(really good if your out after hunting seasoon and you got some deer jerky mmmm 3 more months!), bannock try adding saskatoons, kippers, sardines, pb and js, that's all i can come up with now

Usally just bring a hiking buddy and call them lunch like a human luncheable >

Blog Entries

I usually take some beef or deer jerky, nuts, if I have the room a loaf of bread, many many tea bags, easy open sardines in La. hot sauce or mustard sauce, if I've made some up then trail mix, maybe hardtack but I don't like mine, chocolate bar or protein bar and a box of Altoids.

Why altoids you ask? because the only thing better than a hot cup of tea, is chewing up an Altoid, then downing a mouthful of water. Kind of refreshing. You can also get that refreshing taste from pine cambium if you want.

On a trek, not a hunt, I always take a box of those small sweet cigars, and I have been know to sit around the fire at night and open up a bottle of my homemade applepie.
    Last edited by FVR; 08-27-2008 at 09:00 PM.

Last hike I went on, I carried some McDonald's double cheeseburgers along with some chips and glazed pecans. But that was also just a day hike.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Blog Entries

Sometimes when I trekked up Stamp Creek, I would make a fire, settle in, stick a trout or two on a stick and just eat that.

Sometimes, I just have to eat what I bring............................................. .One evening, I'm sitting there making a small pot of rice to go with my buillon and another trekker walks up, goes to the creek, skins out his cat and we ate kitty kat for dinner. Amazingly, it was really gooddddddddddd..............

Oh, it was a bobcat. But really, is there a difference?

Did it taste like chicken?
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

some foods ive taken before on the trial have been pb&j, crackers, jerky, dried fruit, and canned fruit.

beef jerky, dried fruit, sardines, prepackaged peanut butter and crackers...that stuff is real easy to carry. sometimes i just mix up some instant cream of wheat in my tin cup and drink on the go... whatever i have on hand works for lunch. never was very picky.
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

although i don't know if I could have eaten bobcat...I have 3 cats at home, and they're like kids to me. psychotic sadistic little b#####ds... ha Love the kitties!
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous