Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What animals are the best outdoor companions?

Default What animals are the best outdoor companions?

What is the best wilderness pet/companion to have for woods, wetlands and mountains? I have been thinking about a dog, but which kind? I like to stalk animals and generally disappear into the surroundings but would find a pet enjoyable. Any suggestions? I know of a guy who farms fox. Would a fox be OK or should I stick with domestic dogs?
    www.survivalnut.com

Why simply observe nature, when you can engage nature?

I would say dog,but get a big lazy one that wont scare away your game. Of course any that are trained hunters would certainly be good.

My son has a cat that follows me when I go to the woods,I have to sneak away to leave him behind ggrrrr.
    Last edited by nell67; 08-26-2008 at 05:07 PM.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by survivalnut View Post
    What is the best wilderness pet/companion to have for woods, wetlands and mountains? I have been thinking about a dog, but which kind? I like to stalk animals and generally disappear into the surroundings but would find a pet enjoyable. Any suggestions? I know of a guy who farms fox. Would a fox be OK or should I stick with domestic dogs?
    I have a soft spot for pound puppies. We have three dogs, all three I sprung from puppy prison. Actually all three were to be put down the next day. Two of them I couldn't even begin to list all the breeds I think they have in them, but one is clearly a predominate lab/German Shepard mix. All three got as puppies, which I think is important, and all fiercely loyal. The big dog (lab/shep mix) is extremely protective of my little boy and wife. Any stranger comes in the yard and all three dogs circle my boy and wife, but the big one will get nasty if you get close and we don't give her the code word.

I lease almost 400 acres out in the boonies to hunt and that's where my son and I do most of our camping. Mary always comes with us. That's one real good thing about camping there is no leash law and we can do what we want. Although we bring a tent, we enjoy making "homemade" shelters and trying things you can't in a park.

Sorry I birdwalked there. My son is out of school Friday and Monday, so I took Friday off too and we're camping the whole weekend. I can't stay focused.

Blog Entries

well I would say go with a dog, I have a Yellow Lab (2 actually Sunny and Buster) and they are great in the woods, as hunting dogs and retrieveing, but best of all as companions. If trained right they will do as you want without you even having to say a word. I have friends that take them on treks and they are great to have along and a natural alarm system that perks up but does not bark. And springers are what my friends have and there wonderful dogs, names Maggie and Norm. But a good dog can be of any breed.
    Loyal as you will ever git for a companion (even better than the wife), loving, and warm under the leaves and blanket in the late fall when ole man winter is closing in.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    As seen in this pic "No Stronger Bond" by David Wright. And its true
    or "A Good Day's Hunt" same artist. A good dog can't be beat.
    Last edited by Beo; 08-26-2008 at 05:26 PM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

That is a great painting BW65
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

that's so cool Beo, everyone should at least once in their life have a dog named buster and I agree on the pics, they're awesome.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

non-senior senior member Assassin Pilot's Avatar

I would say a dog would be good. A falcon would be an interesting idea, if anybody is into small game
    Last edited by Assassin Pilot; 08-26-2008 at 09:18 PM. Reason: typo
    "He who throws dirt is losing ground"

Nora's not available people so don't even mention her. She divides her time bewixt Rick and me. (I got to use betwi--i--ixt)
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Default my companion for the last 8 yrs

Default and her siblings for the next 8 lol

Oh, sure. Everyone praises sheep until someone asks the question. Then it's, "oh, yea. a...a dog. Yea, that's it. A dog."
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

A dog hands down. Now what kind of dog? Can't be a monster mutt, yes, I am particular to mutts. Ashley was a full blood Chow, best darn woods dog. She was scary smart, great duck hunter, oh, she caught her own. She could put me on a deer, track it forever but when I said let's go home, she beat me to the truck.

Jessica, my rotty, good dog but too big. Eats too much and big dogs have problems. Harley, weener boxer mix, he would be a good woods dog if the wife would allow it. Meanest little bastard around, he is taller than the usual weener dog.

Snowflake would be good. He is a hairy mutt, looks like a springer spaniel mix. Okay, the kids named him, I call him Bone. Does not eat much and very trainable.

But I must say, John was the dog. Catahoula, not too big, not to small. Good with the kids, good with other dogs, but very intimidating. Dog was conf. with himself. Shame we found the owner, I really liked that dog. His name was Buddy. Been lost for over a week and the owner lives in the next phase over. Funny, why did John stay with us so long, kind of makes you think how the pup was being treated.

Next dog, Catahoula or Australian shepard mix.

Blog Entries

Here's Sunny a Shepherd/Yellow Lab Mix such a good dog and lovable as can be.
    So well trained its scary and learns quickly and friendly once I say its okay, great in the woods and my best friend.
    Here's Buster a full blood Yellow Lab and full of life playing and having fun, like a little boy, getting better in the woods. Sunny is laying in the background.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Beowolf, your Sunny looks exactly like our Mary. My son named her Mary after this teenage girl at Church that he's infatuated by. He was 4 at the time. Our Mary has a little bit of the black shading in her coat down her back like a Shep. She's scary smart too. She loves to fetch and we had to quit syaing the word "ball" out loud cause she would go get her ball and want to fetch and worry you silly. We started spelling it and she's caught on to that now.

FVR, one of our dogs is named Harley. I do ride an EG Classic, but my wife named her. The only thing I can be sure of is she has some type of Terrier in her, she's maybe slightly less than mid sized but black and orange, so we call her Harley. Truth be known, probably the best fighter of the three.

A pack of Alaskan Huskies, lol.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

A dog. And if your looking for a smart dog that can hunt, be a good wach dog, and still be a pet ( I know that I"ll never hear the end of this) but how about a Standard Poodle. They ware bread for retrievers. In fact Poodle means splash dog. They do not shed, are very protective of family, and extremely smart. And at 45-90 LBS not exactly a yip yap dog.

Quote Originally Posted by sobeit View Post
    A dog. And if your looking for a smart dog that can hunt, be a good wach dog, and still be a pet ( I know that I"ll never hear the end of this) but how about a Standard Poodle. They ware bread for retrievers. In fact Poodle means splash dog. They do not shed, are very protective of family, and extremely smart. And at 45-90 LBS not exactly a yip yap dog.
    Nah. Hopeak has schooled us no poodles, so nobody's gonna give you a hard time......well.....unless you've got the hair trimmed to form those little pom poms all over it. Good in the wilderness though.....all of the other animals will be laughing so hard that they won't bother you. But don't worry, nobody here will give you a hard time about poodles.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Irish Wolfhound, is a good choice too, very loyal and great hunting dog. Just big as he11.

We had a Female when I was a kid that we used as a bird dog. The groomers painted her tow nails bright red, and when my dad and his friends wet out dove hunting she was prancing, so every one was giving my dad a hard time until the Poodle with red tow nails worked two labs and a pointer under the field.

Hey Beo - love the pic by David Wright.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel