Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Ever Happened....

Default What Ever Happened....

What ever happened to the days when, as kids you just went out and played? When school was out you left the house in the morning, sometimes came home for lunch (or found something in the woods or at the shore to eat), usually came home for dinner (families actually ate dinner together not too long ago). It just seems that kids nowadays (NOT THOSE PARTICIPATING ON THIS FORUM) are being turned into whimps. Here's some evidence. http://www.nhregister.com/site/news....d=635049&rfi=6
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

what the??? How in ??? WHO??? micromanaging parents who wont let their kids be kids. The kids could be learning teamwork and sportsmanship.
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

one of my favorite things about growing up in alaska was summer time, when i didn't have to be in till dark. lease favorite; winter time, when it was still dark when i left for school and dark again before school let out.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Around here we went out after breakfest, and did not come in till dark, except for dinner (supper, which ever you call it). We played in the woods, played in the river, and had a blast. TV was something for rainy days. When we played sports, the parents supported us but did not interfere with the game, after all it is just a game. Kids around here now would not know what it is like to spend a day in the woods without an ATV, they do not miss meals at home, and would not know how to make one if mom did not do it for them, most of then anyway. Funny, when I was a kid and we seen a cop in the area, we all waved, and would always head out to talk and have a few laughs with him, now, the kids are usually why the cops are here. Thats progress I guess......

Blog Entries

See the parents are complaining that one kid is better than another instead of saying go out there and try your best. Playing a better team can only make one better, but the kids lil feelings got hurt so they complained, well in the real world things aren't always easy and you don't always get what you want or the best options, and I agree the offical who has a chair at the barbers is doing it for his team.
    Bunch of cry baby losers teaching there kids to be cry baby losers and weak minded. No wonder our youth is so weak (not intended for youth here that are not weak minded cry babies)
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

slowly(?) but surely, our survival genes are being bred out of us. that is why this site is so important, and why going out on these treks and doing it is so important. god how i can't take the company of yuppies. they are marshmallows. not only soft of body, but of mind and spirit too. they will gladly pay way more to have work done than the job is worth because they can't or won't even attempt it themselves, and they seriously have no common sense. they are a literal physical danger to themselves and those around them.(ever get behind one in traffic? OMG! scary!). not enough hunting/gathering/sneaking/running for your life, etc. lol. forgive me for this, cuz i'm not much better, but i am 1/8 indian, and i guess i still have some of that left in me. i mean, i am still only 4 generations away from stone age living, no? how much is the average european american? too much indoor society around here.
    ...gonna take a walk outside today...

This is such a cool thread. You guys actually grew up? I'm gonna try that one of these days, I mean it, I am.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

I don't think it's breading or lazy or any of that. Our information needs change over time and we change to adapt to the information. Bread had been the staple of meals for centuries with some protein when it was available. Once we figured out how to make protein safe and abundant, bread fell out of favor. We learned how to mass produce bread about the same time. How many folks know how to bake bread from scratch? Not many because they don't need to. Our information needs changed. Does that make us weak or stupid. No, it's just us evolving. At least that's the way I see it.

I'm with you though smokeless. I also think that's why this forum is important. I posted somewhere else that I love modern information. But we have allowed ancient information to be forgotten while assimilating the new information and that's a mistake, I think. That's one of the reasons I got back into canning, dehydrating, learning about edible plants, etc.

I think there is plenty of space in our pea brains for both.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I don't think it's breading or lazy or any of that. Our information needs change over time and we change to adapt to the information. Bread had been the staple of meals for centuries with some protein when it was available. Once we figured out how to make protein safe and abundant, bread fell out of favor. We learned how to mass produce bread about the same time. How many folks know how to bake bread from scratch? Not many because they don't need to. Our information needs changed. Does that make us weak or stupid. No, it's just us evolving. At least that's the way I see it.
    WTF? What are you talking about? Bread? Now bacon I could understand that it goes with everything. But bred and bread are two different things. And as for the parents and coach complaining that one kid was to good to play against their sons is just cry baby crap, and only a loser would complain about "He's too good and it hurts our kids feelings." Yeah that is cry baby crap and in my books makes them losers. Life ain't fair, its real, and in real life others are better than your kids at things so suc it up and drive on would have been my reply. Whinny cry baby azz parents need to get with real life, your kid sucs at a sport so what, its just a sport, a sport is a game, who gives a f**k if one kid is better than another, maybe your kid is good at football and the other kid sucs, its just a game.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Starving Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm with you though smokeless. I also think that's why this forum is important. I posted somewhere else that I love modern information. But we have allowed ancient information to be forgotten while assimilating the new information and that's a mistake, I think. That's one of the reasons I got back into canning, dehydrating, learning about edible plants, etc.

I think there is plenty of space in our pea brains for both.
    Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!
    Rick wins the prize!
    We are so caught up in "if we can" that we never ask "if we should."
    - Malcolm
    - Jurassic Park
    It is a root cause of our take-it-for-granted, consumable society.

Too bad about the kid playing baseball, though. As a parent, I can kinda see both sides of the argument. They shouldn't put the kid in the middle, though.

I wonder if the TX Rangers know about him. They could use the pitching talent....
    Dennis K.
    Not all who wander are lost.
    www.AnthemBrass.com

Bread? Protein? I'm pretty sure we were munching on dead beasties before we were opening bakeries there Richie Rich.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

WOW what complete BULL!!!! when i was a kid i sucked at sports i was skinny and tall, couldnt run fast, hit a baseball worth a darn, realy the only thing i could do is rebound in basket ball because i was taller than any one else but i couldnt do anything once i got the ball so i always passed it. but i tried it all, had fun accepted that there are others that are better than me but i had fun, i was part of the team and they always included me. I learned how to play as a team and that i cant always be the best and that life some times sucks but you can either enjoy it or cry about it.
    Great things happen when men and mountains meet.

The thing that those sad parents are teaching their kids is that if you face adversity in your life just quit. Don't try and overcome obstacles and better yourself, just quit. What a lost opportunity for a lot of kids.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

I totally agree Crash, you said what I wanted to but it came out as a rant. Hope it didn't offend anyone.

good thing you put that your not making fun of me. i agree though

Quote Originally Posted by Beo
    bred and bread are two different things
    Man! I can't get anything by you!

Mtman, even though you were crummy at sports I'll bet you make a great target in dodgeball. Me, on the other hand, I had sports all locked up. See, I knew I would be chosen last on whatever team had to pick last in whatever sport was being played. That way I didn't even have to stand in line. I could just lay in the shade and wait for some "captain" to say, "Do we have too?" That was my signal!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Oh, I so sucked at sports. I joke with my wife that the nebish girls were picked before me. I was so bad, that Suzy who was a great athlete, who I just happen to have a crush on, who was always picked first before the boys, she would always nudge the team capt. to pick me. She was a sweetie.

But, I went out for sports; baseball, soccer, hockey, track and wrestling in hs. I still sucked.

My goal in baseball was to not strike out, which was usually the case. But hey, the coach win or lose always took us out to Dairy Queen.

The reason for our problems, look at those running for office. One, a hero, the other who has the mentality to raise certain taxes not because they are needed, but rather because "it's just fair."

This filters down to school sports where competition is not encouraged, there are no winners. That was a big problem for me when I with my first wife would play softball with her church. Everybody was goody goody, touchy feely, we are out here to have fun. Bullsheot!! I play to win baby! I work hard, I play hard.

We send out sons to school, encourage them to take up sports, rough sports like football, then after a game or a hard practice, we want them to just open a valve and loose all that aggression and testosterone. It does not work.

We watch football, ultimate fighting, mixed martial arts, rugby, soccer, hockey and a host of other physical sports, just to sit there and basically dream that we are doing it. When our sons want to do it, we say okay, but don't hurt anyone.

One reason for this societal failure is that our sons are being taught by woman. They are being taught by woman to be woman. My son came home last week, he was put on yellow. (not good by wifes standards)

Last night I met with the kind. teacher, I said "heard my son made it to yellow" she said "yes he did" I said "hooyah!!!" My wife interjected "he's happy about it."

He ll yes I'm happy about it. He's a boy! He needs to act like a boy! Sheot, he only has pe once a week in school, yeh, they take that out of the everyday arena, they also reduce the outside play time.

And the teachers wonder why the boys act up in class.

Our social experiment is failing.

Blog Entries

Cool This sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by mtman22 View Post
    WOW what complete BULL!!!! when i was a kid i sucked at sports i was skinny and tall, couldnt run fast, hit a baseball worth a darn, realy the only thing i could do is rebound in basket ball because i was taller than any one else but i couldnt do anything once i got the ball so i always passed it. but i tried it all, had fun accepted that there are others that are better than me but i had fun, I was part of the team and they always included me. I learned how to play as a team and that i cant always be the best and that life some times sucks but you can either enjoy it or cry about it.
    I can relate, mtman, you sound a lot like I was. In football, I was the ball, in wrestling I was the guy that got pinned in under 5 seconds. My main interests in H.S., besides girls, were Thespians, Chess, & creative writing. I had to learn Jiu-Jitsu just to defend myself. Karate was too hard on me. However we had one guy who could outplay anybody anywhere, be it Basketball or Football. Because the Coach's IQ was larger than his shoe size, he didn't pull him from the team, just used him to kick the butts of the other schools who had to play us! (N'yah! N'yah!) I loved watching that guy mop up the floor with the competition. Here's the ironic thing; he was a black student in a predominately white High School. One night he won a basketball game practically single-handed & the crowd carried him off the floor in triumph! Today they'd of probably lynched him! Who says things are improving?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

weird. you guys all sucked at physical things? i was the best, despite my skinny scrawny physique. i dunno, i just had to win at all costs. kinda like wilderness survival. that bear may or may not kill me, but either way he's gonna pay like hell with my last breath. don't get me wrong, i knew how to cooperate with teammates, but they had better do their part right, or its on brotha. and they were the same way. any whiners got their azzes kicked. idunno man, it sounds like some people on here are just computer geeks with great research skills. great minds but not much else. sorry, its just what it looks like. great minds are good for theorizing, but you need the drive, the willpower!
    ...gonna take a walk outside today...

That was totally rude and uncalled for!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)