Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To GRID/or Not to GRID that is the Question

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default To GRID/or Not to GRID that is the Question

Would a reasonable person choose to be off grid? I dragged a 12'X24' cabin to the back of the property via a washed out logging type trail. Parked it with just enough room to add a 24'X18' addition.

As there is no power back there, I am now wondering what I was thinking. At the time it seemed like a good idea to have a hidden "drop'back" cabin, that would be walk-in only.

Now I am wondering if people might be interested in renting it for the summer months, but I don't think so. When the romance wears off, people want electric.

Would you choose to be off grid........? Or only do it if you had no other choice.

My neighbors have a couple of little cabins with no electricity and no running water and rent them out to tourist for weekly rates. They actually advertize it as "rustic and charming" they get rented out all the time. Its all in the way you advertize it. Some people are willing to pay for "roughing it"
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

I like the idea and was thinking of doing the same with a little cabin. It's main use would be for a hunting cabin. A wood stove, oil lamps and an ice cooler. With room for a bed, small table and a chair. I was also thinking about making an ice house that could serve as the cabin and fishing house. The interior size for this would be roughly 7 X 12.

7 x 12? Not planning on having any company over, huh rebel?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Hopeak that's a perfect little hunting cabin, use it for hunts, just to get away(i know you already are away storing food sources, or rent it to a hunter.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    7 x 12? Not planning on having any company over, huh rebel?
    I agree, we call that an outhouse
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Add a couple of solar pannels and put a small fridge in it, you could rent it out full time.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    I agree, we call that an outhouse
    That one big single seat in the center is always a giveaway.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

7 X 12? I've heard of jail cells bigger than that. Just heard about 'em, mind you. Didn't have to pay anything to stay...uh...just heard about 'em.

I wouldn't have any trouble staying in an off grid cabin if I had too. It wouldn't be my first choice or one I'd choose for myself. However, there's no reason that electricity can't be supplied via renewable energy. Either solar panels as the birthday boy said or wind or water generated. No need to get all radical and do away with electricity. Where would I plug in my Wii?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

try one of them jail cells, your roommate will tell ya where to plug in your wii....

Quote Originally Posted by Riverrat View Post
    Add a couple of solar pannels and put a small fridge in it, you could rent it out full time.
    And a couple of paddle fans.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Hopeak - I think some people would enjoy the experience and seek out those sort of diversions from their everyday life. Many people probably would not. If you want to make a couple of extra bucks (maybe quite a few of em) and not have too much traffic on your land, I think it would be an ideal opportunity.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

A 7 x 12 ice shack is respectable. What do you use? My guess is, NOT.

Your guess is, RIGHT. TDW and I will be ruffing it this week-end in one of Illinois' finer state parks. We have the Bluff Cabins overlooking something and near the lodge. All I know for sure is it has electricity!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Only thing I'd miss is internet and air conditioning.

Summers are a bit shorter up where Hopeak is.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hopeak lives so far north...

How far north does he live?

He lives so far north he uses a ptarmigan for a rooster but only once every six months. Hopeak lives so far north his compass will only point south. Hopeak lives so far north the North Star follows him. He lives so far north he considers Polar Bears a sub-tropical carnivore.

If your ice house/cabin were 4 X 8 then you could use it to haul your atv and, it would tow behind the atv on trails without too much problem. Two could ice fish. One could use it for a hunting cabin. With a rack system you could haul a small boat and gear on top. It would make a nice bug out unit for two or three. With the need for security, two could sleep in rotation with the third. If you used a pair of good size solar panels and a few batteries with an inverter you could have a minimal electrical supply. However, this is my minimalistic and mulit-function approach to a damn fine out house!

non-senior senior member Assassin Pilot's Avatar

Actually, my family has a small cabin out back in the homeland (Finland). It is completely off-grid, and they have put considerable thought into powering it up. But I think it would be kinda cool to keep it nice and simple, a place to get away from it all.
    "He who throws dirt is losing ground"

Fat Civilian

Default Off-Grid or Neolithic?

Offgrid doesnt mean no electricity... you could build a windmill or install solar panels... I met some people who are off-grid with electricity.