Thread: Girl Scouts...but What About Me?? (dad)

Default Girl Scouts...but What About Me?? (dad)

I Have Two Daughters, 13 And 6. Older Did Girl Scout Thing Many Moons Ago. I Now Want My 6 Yr. Old To Join, But Now I Also Would Not Mind I Giving A Hand Too. Are There Male Girl Scout Leaders? Or Is There Such A "scout" Out There For Mom/son Or Dad/daughter???
    Now-a-days, A Male Entering An All Girl Thing Seems Weird, Or Does It??
    Thanks, Tim

I don't think it's weird at all. I think it lends another set of thoughts and ideas to a den and shows that a father wants to be part of his daughter's life. Go for it. Those that truly matter won't care and those that care don't matter!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Not weird at all. You and your daughter will probably gain a lot. As a note, there must be an adult female as part of the leadership team as well (not related to you).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I am not part of scouts, but do instruct thier first aid, in my area they are together, boys and girls. The leaders are also both male and female. They have a great time and work well together.

I Wonder How Hard It Would Be To Get A Family Type Scout Together?
    Meaning Where Boys And Girls, Moms And Dads Vise-versa W/kids, Etc.
    Nothing Against The B.s.a Or G.s.a .
    Thanks For The Posts Folks

I wouldn't think it weird at all for a man to lead girl scouts,there are tons of "den mothers" in cub scouts,I was one myself for several years,Webelos,last step before bridging over to the boy scouts. Just remember that to lead a meeting,there should always be more than just one adult present,or the meeting should not take place,that is to ensure that there are no unfounded accusations of misconduct.
    Last edited by nell67; 08-24-2008 at 02:13 PM.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

All right tooltime...I think you're weird....no I don't really-- just everyone else was being so nice. I say go for it, man, you're taking an interest in your kid. My thoughts are that all those parents that just drop their kids off at different activities and use them for a baby-sitting service are the weird ones, because all of a sudden they're going to have young adult strangers in their homes and they're bringing it on themselves.

On the other hand, however, if you're not weird, why are you coming to the people here for advice?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Cool I agree....

...with the group, a male Girl scout leader is NOT weird...unless he shows up wearing a full size "Twinkie" suit!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

(head slap). (Walking away shaking my head.)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    All right tooltime...I think you're weird....no I don't really-- just everyone else was being so nice. I say go for it, man, you're taking an interest in your kid. My thoughts are that all those parents that just drop their kids off at different activities and use them for a baby-sitting service are the weird ones, because all of a sudden they're going to have young adult strangers in their homes and they're bringing it on themselves.

On the other hand, however, if you're not weird, why are you coming to the people here for advice?
    BSA stands for Boy Scouts of America,not Baby Sitters Of America,had to explain that to more than a few parents,they are supposed to get involved in it with the kids,we were not a drop off service.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

You could always start your own Scout group for both boys and girls. I personally don't like the Girl Scouts (issues with them) so my daughter would join something else instead.
    But that's just me.
    Beo,
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

We have lots of moms show up to Boy Scout meetings all the time. And many women are leadership in our troop. I think half the leadership is women. Although not too many women show up for camping, what with all the fart jokes the boys tell and whatnot.

But our BSA troop welcomes women all the time. I don't see why the GSA would have a problem with it. A woman is now the (pack?) leader for our local cub scouts also.

I don't have a problem with a guy being a den leader for girl scouts, but I personally am not interested in doing girly things. I'm just curious, do GSA learn about camping, wilderness, and knot tying like the BSA does? Or do they make frilly pot holders, toilet paper cozies, and lacy pink alcohol stoves?

I mean we (Boy Scouts) camped right next to a girl scout campout last year. So they must do that (depends on the troop I guess).
    Last edited by bulrush; 08-25-2008 at 01:50 PM.

Lacy pink alcohol stoves? Sign me up!
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

The only reservation I would have is I don't want to see what those cookies turn out like. That's gonna be ugly.

non-senior senior member Assassin Pilot's Avatar

Of course you could join. I remember way back when my sisters did girlscouts, they had dads there helping. And vice-versa with boyscouts. Tons of moms helped there.
    "He who throws dirt is losing ground"

I work from time to time with Boy scouts, girl guides, pathfinders etc. Women and men have always been part of these movements. I see nothing wrong with men being part of a girl guide movement or with women being part of boy scouts etc. When it come to kids every one has something to contribute.
    Tooltime, I salute you for wanting to be part of your kids life. there is nothing wrong with it.!
    j
    Walk softly upon the earth!