Thread: Finally!!

Default Finally!!

My son started 1st grade this year and is finally old enough for Boy/Cub Scouts. He has truly been craving this for a while. He's officially a Tiger Cub Pack 148. I thought he was gonna cry he was so excited, then I thought I might cry. The role of den leader is open and I want to do it so bad, although I don't want to look like "that" Dad jumping on it. I just want to make sure the boys get a taste of what Scouts are really about. Not just going to someone's house once a week and a Mommy teaching crafts.

We had a big get together for all ages of Scouts Saturday, sandwhich and chips lunch, but a 5 mile trail hike. My son immediately bonded with two other boys and I'm almost positive they are in his troop.

Good for your son!! And if you can teach them what they need to know,why not take the leader spot??

Someone's got to teach them,and you really want them to learn from the best,not just the first one to step up and say yea,I'll do it because they feel obligated to.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Congrats Dickens - you sound like a proud papa.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Smile Go Scouts!

I'm very happy to hear this! I see nothing wrong with being the leader in the group; just tell your son ahead of time that when you put on YOUR uniform, that you aren't allowed to play favorites. I'm sure he'll understand & will probably like having his Dad right there with him! IMO, any time a Father can be involved with his son, especially in this type of situation, it's a cool thing!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Good for you and your son, the Scouts is a great thing for both of you.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Dang it dickens, made me wanna cry (some of us remember my history with that august organization) Seriously, congrats to you both.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

And because of that, Trax never made it to the September, October, November or December organizations. (I'm sure glad you didn't say January).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have to wait one more year, but I can understand your excitment. Congrats to youand the little tiger scout..
    Surviving in Los Angeles-

By all means volunteer for any leadership position that you can. You and he will not regret it. The CSA/BSA is a wonderful organization. I think you and your son have many future years to enjoy together.

I am going to be a leader. I've been waiting for this since 2000. First I had to wait to see if we were having a boy or girl in 2002, then had to wait 'til he hit the age and be interested.

I used to work with a guy from about '99 to '04 and even though his kids had moved on to college, he was still active with the Scouts and he got me involved. I loved it and it brought back some of my fondest memories with my Dad.

My son LOVES the outdoors. He even has a tent that fits on top of his bed and sleeps in it every night. On weekends, even if we can't get out in the woods, we will at least pitch the tent and sleep outside more times than not.

Blog Entries

Great, take the reins and lead the way bro, nothing will be better than imparting your survival skills and the Boy Scout ways to your son, he sounds like a woodsman in the making already and I'm glad for both of you.
    Good luck Scout Leader.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Good luck. Hope you and your son have a great experience together. Aren't you glad you had a son? I mean seriously --- you may look a little silly in one of those brown or green skirts.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My dad was our Cub Scout leader/den mother because nobody else wanted to do it. He also ended up being my baseball coach and soccer coach (never had played in his life) and he made alot of friends and business contacts because of it.
    More than that though he set a great example for his son, and bonded with me, and made me believe he cared. That is worth alot, I think.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Blog Entries

Cool Way to go!

I'm glad to hear all of this. In my opinion there needs to be an infusion of new blood into scouting, the kind that puts the scout back into the outdoors. There are a lot of kids who want that more than anything; to learn about the outdoors 1st hand from someone who isn't afraid to take them there! Way to Go! (p.s.: Have you read my Blog: "The Way Of The Scout"?)
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    I'm glad to hear all of this. In my opinion there needs to be an infusion of new blood into scouting, the kind that puts the scout back into the outdoors. There are a lot of kids who want that more than anything; to learn about the outdoors 1st hand from someone who isn't afraid to take them there! Way to Go! (p.s.: Have you read my Blog: "The Way Of The Scout"?)
    Just read it. My Scout book hasn't come in yet. If that passage isn't in the newer version of the book, can I have your permission to print that and read it to the boys in my troop?

Nothing'll increase his self confidence more. I'm currently a young leader in Scotland and it's great to see the smiles on some of the folks faces when they master something new, whether it be a knot or putting up a new tent for the first time.