Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Traps & Trapping

Good Advice....nice eating size channel catfish!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Banned

Default CAST CALL-New Survival TV Show

WANTED: OUTDOOR ENTHUSIASTS WHO REALLY KNOW HOW TO SURVIVE
    Do you have the skills to take on Mother Nature in all her fury and survive? Can you start a fire without a match, find water in the wilderness, hunt for food and brave the elements? A new television series is calling all wilderness junkies in the greater Los Angeles area to demonstrate your survival skills. Maybe you are a wilderness guide, hunting/fishing/trek hand, or a backcountry camper with extraordinary skills. Maybe you've found yourself stranded, snowed-in or castaway - and survived. If you've got the will, the ingenuity and the wilderness sense to face the elements, now is the chance to prove it to the world.

Email us with a short explanation for what makes you an extreme survivor, or any stories that exemplify your outdoor survival skills, as well as a PICTURE, and preferably a video of you in action.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 06-03-2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Spam is for eating not for posting

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks like spam to me...
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

He's been banned. His posts were left up as a reminder to the next one that stops by - lets them know they are venturing into dangerous territory. His email addy was removed, so now it's just entertainment.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Default Design issue with the Haverhart larger box trap

It happens, we set a trap and come back the next day and the trap is on its side and the bait is gone, with no animal caught. I remembered that one could attach the trap to a larger board to keep it from tipping. Turns out Raccoons and other animals see the bait from the side and swat the trap over - keeping the trigger from popping. Attaching a board with bail wire allows you to use a pair of pliers to seperate the board witout releasing the animal. On the other hand the board keeps the vehical clean while transporting. This prevents the animal swatting the box over and gaining entry... I even add a few inches at the front and back to allow two people to pick up a loaded trap.

Does anyone else use this idea?
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Thats a good idea!
    I never had that sort of problem though. I made my box trap,and it's pretty heavy!
    If killing neighborhood critters isn't an issue, nothing beats a 220 conibear, cubby set! IMO
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Setting traps to me is better than hunting

Very nice post and very informative.And on those coons putting the trigger side of the trap against something also helps keepthe little bears from tripping the live traps.
    Last edited by wholsomback; 12-30-2012 at 12:31 AM.

Just got my first set of traps last year, and four more traps this year. Still haven't used them yet as I'm trying to read as much as I can through this year before getting out there, but starting next year it's game on. It's funny, I've been hunting for over 25 years and in the woods a lot longer than that, but just now getting into trapping. I wonder what took so long...
    Minnesota BCA Approved Conceal Carry Instructor
    NRA Instructor: Personal Protection in the Home, Pistol
    NRA Life Member
    Multi Tour Combat Vet

Avoid Confrontation, but If the attack comes, be violent, so bad, their children will have PTSD.

I just use a rattrap. I have killed my first squirrel with it, and this year ill get my second.

Default Traps & Trapping

Last edited by ottawafm; 04-05-2015 at 11:53 PM.

Great thread , which will help me along with help of my father to set traps when first snow comes to catch a fox and make a mountain man style hat which I always dreamed about
    Check out my survival youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCup...cRQ3O29ZB7Ybiw

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Setting traps to me is better than hunting
    As for me, it is different. But maybe I will try to use traps too.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You guys keep waiting a year or two between posts and all the critters will get away from you!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?