Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Traps & Trapping

Default Traps & Trapping.

I do carry small & large game snares, but mostly I make primitive traps on site.

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not , when I came to die , discover that I had not lived. " Henry David Thoreau.

Helpful post
    sanity is for the weak

Default Snaring tips

Hey all, Don't worry I used the "search" function, but can't seem to come upon some tips for snaring rabbits. I have purchased some 20 gauge galvanized steel wire. It appears to be "chromed" and is fairly shiney. Do you think this will have any affect on the rabbits? Me and Flanders have been snaring rabbits, but I would like to try on my own. Just curious as to what the loop size and how high to place it. I have looked on google and they say from 1 inch to 7 inches off the ground, so I don't know which one to go with. I started a new thread because I have some fairly specific questions. Thanks for the help.
    Nick
    Boys that hunt, fish and trap, aren't mugging little old ladies

a 3 inch loop is fine for rabbits[bottom 1-2 inches off the ground.A 6 inch loop for coons/possoms,2-3 inches off the ground.8 inch loop for coyotes,8 inches to the bottom,8 inch loop for fox,4 inches up to the bottom.

I wouldn't worry about the wire being shiny, it should weather quick enough on its own. Rabbits are most active when it is dark, and won't know it is shiny.
    About a 4 inch loop, 2 inches off the ground for rabbits. Any bigger on the loop and you may catch them in the torso, or get an incidental catch of a coon or possum.
    I have found the key to snaring is placing on a well used trail. I look in long grass/brush for openings.

There is a great video on you tube showing how to set it up. i watched that and had success the first time. Could have been luck but the video was pretty informative.

Ok thanks guys. And 20 gauge will be strong enough to hold 'em?

20 ga should work for rabbbits.

Here is the youtube vid.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoZ4PMLXR5U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNpj5GGMgrY

Here is another one without such a good sound track

Thank you guys. Those videos were very helpful and informative.

For snare wire I have used either .020 stainless safety wire or .030 copper. both were issue items. I haven't been able to find the copper wire but any auto performance shop should carry .020 or .025 stainless safetywire.

SARKY, Thank you for the info that could help me save a couple bucks.

Here is a link to a site with lots of great snaring and traping videos http://www.wildernessoutfittersarchery.com/
    GOD FAVORS NO GROUP ONLY RELIGIONS DO THAT

Minersville, PA

Is there any chance that military issue trip wire might be good for snaring game? I have a few rolls lying around the house. I dont know the thickness but it will dig into your hands when you try and snap it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike00006 View Post
    Is there any chance that military issue trip wire might be good for snaring game? I have a few rolls lying around the house. I dont know the thickness but it will dig into your hands when you try and snap it.
    Should work just fine.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

Quote Originally Posted by Mike00006 View Post
    As long as its breaking strength is about 15-20lbs you should be good as far as breaking goes.

Different metals......... I would prefere to snare Rabbits and other game animals (like I do) with natural material, blends in better, don't have to worry about metal reflection. Why carry more weight (or at least storage space) in your kit when you can simply make a snare of sinew or the inner bark of some trees like Willow and Basswood (never used Basswood but make cordage from willow). Hell I have even snared a few with my Indian Hemp snares, and it's all free, and is 3 times stronger than 15-20 pound metal material, yet it is only slightly thicker in diameter. Save room, improvise when your out there. Becuase what happens when you lose those materials or they become expended ( a 100 yard spool will last years if conserved, but the 2,000 trees provide lifetime supplys, not to mention the kills that would provide sinew, rawhide, gut material). Im not trying to prove anything or down anyones methods,im just expressing my opinion. But I would see copper as a weaker snare material, I have used 20 pound steel mesh material when I first started learning "survival" and trapping game with modern materials. My dad would pay $12.00 per 300 yard spool at his work (Navy, Port Operations). Pretty expensive. But I used up all of it when I was little becuase my friends and me wrapped all of it around the trees near Rock City where all the potheads hung out. They were pretty mad becuase it was a tangled mess.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

yeah its a good suggestion, but where i am snaring all the trees are dead so i have to use wires. Thanks for the good idea tho

Alright guys, so me and Flandersander are having some problems. We have been using all of your help but still, nothing. What happens is we have the snares set up on a well used path, but when we go look the next day, the tracks stop right infront of the snare then they go back and find another way. We have walls set up beside them to funnel them thruogh the snare but thats not working. So, if you guys have any ideas of helpful tips on how to resovle this problem or what is causing them to stop and turn around it would be greatly appreaciated.
    Nick
    Last edited by Nickjames; 01-01-2009 at 01:16 AM. Reason: i didnt include a part of our problem

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

Nick man, there are some live poplar trees there we could use for cordage, but I'm not expierenced with that sort of thing. And i'm pretty sure our problem is human scent. We need to wear gloves when snaring, or at least thats what i think it is. Why else would they stop right? Unless they thought a dark strand was out of place from the millions of dark branches in there. I find that unlikely.