Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Traps & Trapping

Young Woodsmen

thanks alot

No problem, good to hear sum stuff about yeah
    Boys that hunt, fish and trap, aren't mugging little old ladies

Young Woodsmen

Yhea glade to know more

okay everyone, so far you have been the most helpful people i have met. Now i have some more questions. So, if there is a very well used trail that is in a wide open space and doesnt lead to a closed area, can i set a snare some how or is that trail just useless? Another, what is a better way to set a drag snare a. break off a branch anquore the snare to it and then ram it into a bunch of surrounding trees above, or b. break off a branch anquore snare to it and lay it on the gound infront of the trees under the snow coved it up? If you could awnser these it would be greatly appreciated!!
    Nick

Young Woodsmen

Does It Lead Away From One Or To A Water/food Sorce More Than Likely Yes You Can Set The Trap.

Im just saying, if there is a trail going across a wide open space with no food or water, if it just leads into a wide open space of a bush then is there anyway to set one that wouldnt spook them?

Young Woodsmen

well not to my knowledge sorry

anybody have tips for the drag setup?

I don't really like the drag setup because the critter takes off with your snare and you have to track it down. But here goes... get a branch about an inch to 1.5 inches in diameter and about 12 to 18 inches long. You set up your snare the same as you would for a staked snare or a trigger snare, only your snare wire is attached to the branch (drag) when the critter gets snared, it drags the wire and drag stick until the drag stick gets wedged in some brush then you have to find where the critter dragged your stick off to. Note: you attach the end of the snare wire to the middle of your drag stick.

okay, thanks SARKY

I cant speak for all rabbits,but the ones down here are not spooked by human scent.I do however keep the site as natural as possible.

Before anyone experiments with different snaring/trapping techniques, check the game laws for your state or province. Here in Michigan we can not snare for anything other than coyotes, and the rules on use (location, wire gage, loop size, loop stop, swivel requirements, tags on equipment) are very strict. Also we can not use drags for anything.
    I would love to experiment with different techniques, to practice for a true survival situation, but I can't.

Good disclaimer.They are all illegal here in Florida as well.Seems they dont care what kind of animal they might catch.Cats,chiwawas[sp] ect.Im pretty sure only havahart traps are legal.Squirrel poles are a definate no-no cause they work sooo good.

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

Here in saskatchewan, most game is snareable with a snaring liscense. A deer stop is needed on cable snares, but not wire ones. I preffer the "cam lock" over the rest because it doesn't relax. As cruel as that sounds, dispatching isn't a problem. Never caught a yote yet, or a fox or anything snaring, but i am trying it this year. Any tips on snaring larger animals than rabbits would be apreciated.

Nobody snares coyotes or foxes?

Stopped trying to snare foxes when I got married.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Its those chicks that dig their claws into you and just suck the life from you. just kidding.

great post alot of good info
    All good things are wild and free
    -Henry David Thoreau

Learn from the old and the wise

Hey Survival Guy, why not trap you way over to our Introductions section and tell us a bit about yourself?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm sure you guys have seen this but I thought it was a good reference for triggers. well illustrated. http://www.scribd.com/doc/3478144/Si...d-in-the-Woods

The third one is set backward from the way I do it, but you'll get the idea. many of these triggers can be adapted to other trap styles also. I really like the versatility of the second trigger, I used it over the summer on a fishing rig.

take a sapling and stick it waaay down in the sand, add a boulder with a nice square corner in the water just below where the spring is tight. a #2 hook and 1/4 or 1/2 oz weight on heavy fishing line tied to the bottom of the trigger (rather than the top as illustrated). It works on tripline method, but basically the fish takes the live bait (we used a small fish we caught) and instantly trips the "tripwire" attached to the trigger...Sproing! this one had a 6 foot yank and caught supper which we cooked on a rock.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures