Thread: snare fishing

Default snare fishing

http://wildwoodsurvival.com/survival...rm1-4pg15.html anyone ever try a trap similar to this one if so how diid it work for you looks like it will work but im not shure id go try it but i have nowere to practice at the molment

I have not tried that set up. Looks like a gorge hook and my results with those have been dismal at best.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

it's a tip-up. you could easily substitute a manufactured hook.

what size have you made your gouges in the past?
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

About 2 inches. I've even tried some that are 1 inch for pan fish.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

1/2 in. is about the right size for gouge for most fish they work every well I have 4 that I keep in my survival pouch. I make mine out of antler but wood works.I would call that a tip-up to.
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

how big is the manufactured hook you might use for panfish? you will pretty much want your gouge to be no bigger than hook size that might be appropriate, as you need the fish not only to take the bait and gouge, but to swallow it before realizing the jig [pun intended] is up and not get the chance to throw it. what it calls to mind are those tiny little crappie bait hooks that might catch more fish but i hated because they where so often swallowed.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.