Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All About Reputation

Default All About Reputation

What exactly is this "reputation?"
    User Reputation's basis comes from the opinions of all the forum users that choose to take part in it. Users gain reputation based on how their posts are scored by other forum participants. Users with the ability to affect reputation will either give points by approving with a post's content.

Does it mean that I am not respected or beneficial to the board if I have a low reputation count?
    Not at all! Reputation points really have nothing to do with the importance of a member or their benefit. It is simply a system implemented primarily for fun and entertainment purposes. Please do not be overly-concerned about your rep count. There are very few people, if any, that even care what your reputation count is. Some choose to ignore the feature altogether by disabling it. See the question, "How do I disable reputation system for myself" to see how one can disable their reputation from being displayed.

How can I turn the reputation system off/on?
    You can turn your reputation off or on through your User Control Panel.

Go to General Settings in the left hand menu.Once you are in General Setting the second section is Reputation. From here, you can show or hide Reputation.

How can I give out reputation to other members?
    You can give out reputation to others simply by clicking on the reputation button next to their post. The button looks like this:Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum. and is located in the yellow tool bar at the bottom of the Quick Reply box. When you click on the button, a little box should pop-up. There are two options in that box. You can either Approve or Disapprove of the post. (see the next two questions below). When you have decided on what type of reputation to give out, you can comment on the reputation you are giving. The little box that allows you to type things (input box) is simply there as an extra option to tell the other person why you are giving them reputation. It is not a requirement to type anything in that box, but it will certainly be a plus for the member you are giving rep to if you can tell them why you are giving them the rep. A typical comment often associated with a reputation is, "Thank you for the research." Once you are done, click the submit button and the reputation will transfer to the other member.

When should I give positive reputation?
    You should give positive reputation whenever you feel that the post of another member of the forum was good and deserving of some praise. For example, if you think that a member's post answered your question very well, you can rep them so that they know that you are appreciative of their contribution.

When should/shouldn't I give negative reputation?
    Negative reputation is turned off.

How can I see how much reputation I currently have?
    You can see the latest reputation that you currently have by going into your User Control Panel. The green boxes above your avatar indicated how much Reputation you have received.

What are those comments I see in my UserCP?
    The comments are given to you by the member who is 'repping' you. These comments may sometimes justify the reason for giving you the reputation points. You can give out comments like these to other members by typing in the text field in the reputation pop-up. Please note that it is not a requirement to give out reputation point comments and some users that give you reputation points will not leave any comments.

Why did I receive reputation?
    First off, it is best to refer to the comments (see above) for the reputation point in question. If, however, the member leaving you the reputation did not leave a comment or left one that is ambiguous then you will not know the reason that a particular reputation was given.

What are those color boxes next to the reputation comment?
    The color of the boxes indicate if the reputation point given is: negative, positive, or neutral (can be both). A green box means that the reputation is positive. A red box means that the reputation is negative. A gray box means that the user giving you the reputation does not have sufficient reputation power (see below) to make a difference on your reputation point level. The positive and neutral boxes are (respectively):
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

What is the amount of reputation I can give out based on (reputation power)?
    The amount of reputation you can give out depends on several factors. The factors are as follows: number of days you have been a member, number of posts you have, number of reputation points you currently have.

What are the values for all of the factors affecting my giving reputation power?
    The values are as follows: For every 250 number of days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power. For every 2500 number of posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power. For every 800 points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Can anyone give out reputation?
    There are several factors that must be reached before a member can give out positive or negative reputation. The member must have at least 50 posts. The member must also have a reputation equivalent to or greater than 0

Is there a limit to how much reputation I can give out?
    Yes. You can only give out no more than 10 reputation points per each 24 hour period. You can give a reputation point to the same user only after you have given reputation to 20 other users. Basically, if you have given 'Joe' a reputation, you must give 20 other members reputation before you can rep Joe again.

Extra notes to consider:
    Some of these restrictions or rules may not apply to moderators and/or administrators.
    Last edited by Rick; 08-18-2008 at 08:11 PM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks for the explanation.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Thanks Rick.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Can't find any way to turn my Reputation ability on or off on the User CP. Did I misunderstand the instructions?

Do you have reputation showing when you go to CP? If not, then you haven't received any yet. If you do then look in the upper right hand corner of the reputation box and you will see a gray arrow (See the pic above. The red arrow is pointing to it.) If you click on that arrow you will roll up the results. The box will still be there but you won't see the details. Click it again and the box will drop down showing you the detail. As noted in the instructions above..."You can not turn the Reputation system off but you can arrange your settings so you don't have to see the detail".
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

the practice should be discontinued. just cuz someone disagrees with you or misunderstands you, instead of debating with you , they just wimp out and "rep" you, and you can't defend yourself. then when some new person wants some advice, and maybe they look at your rep, they won't read your posts. real fair. this site is becoming more and more tiresome. i just come here to learn, and maybe help others a little with my own knowledge.
    ...gonna take a walk outside today...

Where have you been? That's all been discussed. What you said is true that's why Chris set it up so you could only rep one person then you have to rep 20 others before you can rep that person again. If someone wants to use it to ding me, bring it on. I could care less.

EDIT: It's a nice to know not the be all end all. Half the time I forget about it anyway.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have seen the light, I have seen the blinding light, O'please forgive me for I have been divisive. I have received a, "BAD DOG" red ticket, from someone for being divisive. Kind of like the "Hall Monitors", in high school giving the student a ticket for talking in the stairwell. Well, one way to play this is to go for a Royal Flush and try to get all RED boxes.

Or just not post, I have to agree with Smokeless, the whole concept is childish, and silly.

And for the record I voted in the negative, when the pole question was asked.

Look, Look I have been divisive AGAIN, "BAD DOG....BAD" Can I give myself a red ticket...??????
    Last edited by Sourdough; 08-28-2008 at 06:19 PM.

What's the big deal? When somebody makes a post that inspires someone else, either positively or negatively they may feel compelled to add or subtract to a persons reputation. If you are concerned about it, don't inspire anybody.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Or simply close the box in your CP and you don't have to look at it. It's not like it affects your income. Childish? No, childish would be throwing a tantrum about it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Careful, you are close to being divisive. I think the Moderators should have Yellow Flags that they throw if a member is out of bounds. And post them as a yellow badge. They could look like banana peels.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 08-28-2008 at 08:42 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

OK, who ever gets 5 straight red negative reputation demerits wins. But they must unbroken by sweet and lovable/fuzzy/cuddly/smooching-up evil green things.

Banned

My mom always said I looked handsome in red.

Blog Entries

People try to put me down..........talk'n bout my reputation........LOL.

I guess I have a reputation now. Well thank you. However, I can tell ya, chances are it won't be too long before I screw that all up.

where i have been is not at the computer desk every day looking at every post and having to comment on it. i just show up when i have a question, this site is just another tool in my kit. ya here that y'all? you're nothing but tools! joking, hehehe joking.
    ...gonna take a walk outside today...

Blog Entries

Cool Now hear this!

It's been about 10 days since ANYBODY has given me any reputation...or 'TUDE for that matter! C'mon, you can't ALL agree with me! Come give some! I'm feeling very neglected over here! What's up with you people?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

How come I a rep and can't view it?

Try looking at your CP now. You have to have been given some to view it. I gave you some, so it should show up now along with how many total points you have.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Try looking at your CP now. You have to have been given some to view it. I gave you some, so it should show up now along with how many total points you have.
    It says I have 15 rep ponits but can only see the one you gave me. Thanx for the free rep BTW..

He does that to everyone. That's how he gets rep points. Stands on the street corner begging for them. I do see what you are talking about and will have to check on it.
    Last edited by Rick; 09-08-2008 at 08:13 PM.