Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: All About Reputation

Great - just before the end of the world.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I could always make your join date May 2012!
    So, would all my posts disappear?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Actually, you would disappear. Your posts will be here forever.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Actually, you would disappear. Your posts will be here forever.
    There's gotta' be an upside to this - let me think about it.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

It sounds like I have my original 10 then + Poco's one..I feel better at least I don't have negative rep....
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

are you only able to view your own rep?
    Come share my fire.

Owl Girl - Click on User CP on the left side of the green bar at the top of the page. Inside your Panel you will see a menu on the left side and right in the middle of the page you should see a box that says, Latest Reputation Received. That box will either display all the last reps that you received, if you have it open, or it will just be a green bar, if you have the box closed. Either way, you can see the number of points you've earned on the right side of the green bar. Just to the right of the points is a small square with an arrow. Clicking on it will open and close the box and the listing of reps you have received.

If that doesn't make sense or you have any trouble just let me know.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by owl_girl View Post
    are you only able to view your own rep?
    Additionally - yes - you can only view your own. You can click on the reputation box of other members when they post to get an idea (on a distinguished road, will be famous soon enough, has had a little bad behavior, etc)
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Rick,
    tanks but i already know how to get to my own rep box.

Crash,
    thats cool i didnt know about the rep box on other members post, thanks
    Come share my fire.

Ok I am curious about something,concerning "Rep".It states in the first post of this thread by Rick-
    Is there a limit to how much reputation I can give out?
    Yes. You can only give out no more than 10 reputation points per each 24 hour period. You can give a reputation point to the same user only after you have given reputation to 20 other users. Basically, if you have given 'Joe' a reputation, you must give 20 other members reputation before you can rep Joe again.
    I am wondering if this number (20) Can be lowered to say 10 or 15? I ask 'cause it seems like the same people are the ones doing EXCELLENT posts/Threads and I keep being told "spread the love" or whatever it says. I don't mind "spreading the love" but it gets hard to keep giving those that are deserving of it, unless you just "Throw some Rep around". Giving it willy-nilly to whomever just so you can give it to someone who really deserves it.

I don't know if the number can be changed or not. I imagine it can be by the Admins. I know the reasoning for 20 was to prevent somebody that gets PO'd from using it as a childish tool to negatively add rep.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The reason the numbers are set that way is to keep folks from repping their buddy. Not that anyone on here would do that. But, in theory, I could give Crash rep over and over and over even though he might not have deserved it.

The purpose of reputation is so folks can tell at a glance who contributes good posts versus just posting. So, if someone with three green boxes, for example, talks about making waxed matches then someone relatively new to the forum has some measure of reliability the person can be believed. Not so easy if you don't know the poster.

On the flip side, if I don't like someone and can give then negative rep repeatedly then I artificially lower their rating.

Finally, if someone makes a great post and I've already given them rep then someone else is likely to give them rep. It sort of balances out.

Lowering the numbers has the potential to open the door for misuse.

Banned
    Blog Entries

The WHOLE rep thing sucks............There are not twenty members who post on a consistent basis material worth giving rep points too. And it just sucks when someone repeatedly makes a post that is worthy of casting in gold, the kind of valuable post that takes my breath away, and I can accolade them. Note: I am kind of shy or I would tell you how I really feel.

Well, I appreciate you wanting to give me all that rep but when you can't Crash and Poco generally do so I understand. I'm flattered, too, that you feel that way. Thanks.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Rick, I have tried to give you Rep and it gets blocked. "Gorbachev, tear down this wall". Reduce the wall to TEN.

You can see your own by clicking on your User CP.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have 112 points if that helps you any.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have 112 points if that helps you any.

Nope........no help to me, but thank. Could Chris lower the cycle to 10 if he chose to do so.........?

I don't know what the setting are to be frank. I suspect he can. I suspect he can set it to 0. What happens when someone wants to lower it to 5? I'm not certain where the magic number is but we can certainly take it forward and present it to him.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I don't know what the setting are to be frank. I suspect he can. I suspect he can set it to 0. What happens when someone wants to lower it to 5? I'm not certain where the magic number is but we can certainly take it forward and present it to him.

I request that you do that. Thank you.