Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: trout fishing.

Hey yall. Just got back from a trip to S. Dakota at 1:30 this mornin. I did quite a bit of trout fishin there with great success. I found this little old lure in the bottom of my tackle box that looks like something homemade but it worked excellent. Its labeled '000 Reflecto' and I havent been able to find them on the market but boy I sure cleaned up on the rainbows with it. I overcasted and landed the thing high up in a pine tree and was heartbroken till I finally made it up the tree and recovered it. That or a little mepp's with a piece of crawdad tail or worm on it for scent is what I found to work best on rainbows in lakes or ponds. For browns and my personal favorite, brook trout, you need to sneak up on em from upstream and let a worm drift down on a tiny little hook. Never got into fly fishing so I cant help out there, sorry.
    You can see something similar on this link, only mines been outfitted with some feathers and red thread:http://www.striper.net/tackle_lures_...cto-spoons.htm

marshmallows definitely work on the lakes here in eastern ky for trout. the small ones come in bags of mixed colors. sometimes pink seems to work better and sometimes other colors are the ticket

the trick is to not use a cork and weight it just enough to make it sink really slow. with lake trout, you have to figure out what depth they are hanging out at and where on the lake. they generally find a comfortable place/temp in the water column and hang there rising occasionally to edibles seen above then returning back to said level. try to find a place in the lake where there is an inlet or outlet of water. a feeder creek will provide a higher oxygen content in that area and an outlet (like a spillway) will cause current....both of which trout like. i don't know what is going on in your lake but there are certain places in most every lake where trout will concentrate for one reason or another.

if you see trout rising on top of the water a lot you might as well give up bait fishing as they are feeding on some kind of aquatic hatch (midges etc). generally speaking, trout are keyed in when this is happening and will be hard to tempt with anything else. however, if you are a fly fisherman...its game on

the best way to learn how to catch trout or any fish is to spend a crap load of time on your water.

They work here in MI too. Both on natives and the mushy, pale fleshed hatchery/ farm released/ planted trout. The little colored ones in pink and yellow work best for me. Corn works great too. Especially Del Monte, yes there is a difference and the trout seem to know it.

I now only do this in one creek where the trout are destined for death from warm water or low oxygen??. They rarely live thru the summer and get planted each year. It was a couple old timers that turned me onto this. I don't really like the idea of using corn or mallows for trout, but it works extremely well.

I usually use artificials, aka. hardware, or leaf worms bouncing the bottom. Twister tails and in line spinners work good. We get rainbows and browns in the local streams. They get a lot of brookies in the UP and of course we have the steelies, browns and salmon that run from the Great Lakes, pinks, coho and chinook. A couple local inland lakes have plants of Splake and lakers, but I've never caught one. I've never caught a pink, lake trout, brookie or splake. I've never done good in lakes either, but we have a few good inland trout lakes.

had to do it, just razzing you:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

If you capture a spider that large, it's probably best not to hold it to your neck like that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

My lower field has about 800 ft of frontage on the Kickapoo River.

Nice curve at east end of property, bunch of snags along bank.
    Favorite method, flip rocks over at fire pit, pick up worms and night crawlers.
    Take tractor with brush hog, down to river, mow a couple of spots in the tall stuff along the banks.
    Seems as I'm backing mower up to the edge, tends to throw "stuff" into the river.
    Fish seem to like this.

Then set up lawn chair, bait up "river rig".
    Big sinker on bottom, 'bout 18" line, to treble swivel, then about another 18 to 24" line to hook w/ night crawler or worm.
    Top of swivel to pole. l--- Looks kinda like this.

Toss out at base of snag or edge of shade.
    Sit down, kick off shoes, pop a brewski, eat the marshmellows, and snoose, at least till you get a bite.
    Biggest brown was little over 18", lots of smaller ones, but usally just keep 14" or bigger.
    Lot of red horse and suckers though, but something to do.
    Last edited by hunter63; 01-13-2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hunter63:

" pop a brewski"

Is this a new survival skill with which I am yet to become familiar?

Oh, please share!

-Mert (Doug)
    "...The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall not be Infringed."

don't worry; we always share the brews around this camp-fire.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

My Polish is a little rusty but I seem to remember that "brewski" means "Nectar of gods". Don't quote me on that, though.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Mertell View Post
    Hunter63:

" pop a brewski"

Is this a new survival skill with which I am yet to become familiar?

Oh, please share!

-Mert (Doug)
    LOL, well look at it this way, if your sitting in the sun, on the river bank, in a lawn chair, and all your doing is popping brewskis (nectar of the gods, beer), snoozing on and off, most people would say; "lookie there, shouldn't that guy have a job, must be an alcoholic!"

Now do the same thing with a fish pole, and they say; "wow, that guy must really be a good fisherman, hes been there every day this week.

Presentation, presentation, presentation

Now, some day when y'all are older, I 'splain spark-plug fishin'

After walking, casting and wading up and down the Maumee river last year to no avail we decided to try that method hunter63. Whadaya know. It works! Caught 5 or so different species of fish and ended up with a stringer of cats, walleye and white bass. All we had to do is sit there and watch the chinese people pluck maple seeds from the trees. Much easier on the back too.

spark plug fishing....do tell!

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    spark plug fishing....do tell!
    O.K. y'all want to hear about "Spark plug fishing".

This is the ultimate, extreme, fishing (or getting away from DW)
    Bring a buddy and a 30 Pack of brewskis, get in the boat ( no motor, 'course you don't have to go far anyway).... head out.

Now if your catching too many, (or not), just tie a spark plug on your lines, and cast out.
    Start popping brewskies.

One of 2 things are gonna happen, you're either gonna start catching some thing on them spark plugs.........or run out of brewskies.
    In either case it's time to go home.

Giving credit:

This method was related to be by a fellow motel guest, while sitting around the pool watching the kids swim, in Kentucky, when I discovered it was a dry country (or parish?).

I was grousing about the lack of "amenities", namely a beer cave in every gas station, convent store, super market, I mean, in Wisconsin every store sells beer, even have drive thru's.
    What the heck kind of foreign country is this anyway?

Well, long story short, seems he had a supply of brewskies that was in danger of going bad, so I had to help him out.

So, to this nameless guy, who I'll never see again, (especially if he keeps drinking like that)
    Heres to you, and thanks for "mentoring me as a young man".

That's my story, as best I can recall, as alcohol was involved.....And I'm sticking to it.
    Last edited by hunter63; 01-17-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: splin'

Oh man. I was expecting something with electricity and floating fish.

Nice story though.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Oh man. I was expecting something with electricity and floating fish.

Nice story though.
    Well, that would be what the stun grenade is for..........