Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trout fishing.

Default trout fishing.

Is it true that rainbow trout actually love marshmellows. well could i use these as bait . becasue there is a torut pond up at my lake and your allowed to fish in it .. yet everytime i try i get one every two hours when there is over a thousand fish in this pond . i need some tips.

i don't know about actual marshmallows but there are scores of scented and flavored baits called marshamllow baits, due to the identical shape and texture. they are usually brightly colored [as a further attractant] and come in small glass jars. most bait shops and sporting goods stores i've seen carry them.

some fish, young [inexperienced] trout included will often bite at just about anything small you put into the water. if nobody gives you any better advice, [and if it's legal to do so where you are] you might aswell try it.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Cheese always seems to work, rather it has for me just don't carry it in your pocket, gets kinda messy.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Blog Entries

Cool well.............

Wet & dry flies seem to work really well, don't know about marshmellows; do you toast them 1st?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Hunter-Fisher-Trapper Ameriborn's Avatar

I've tried them before without much success. In a reservoir stocked with them I caught 2 in 8 hours. Good thing I wasn't there for the trout. Caught a rather oddly shaped Catfish on it once as well. It looked like it was gutted and sewn shut it was so flat.
    Last edited by Ameriborn; 08-21-2008 at 12:07 AM.
    To live is to survive. To hunt is to live, to fish is to live and to trap is to live.

i use mostly rooster tails and small spoons. you can also try kernels of corn, worms or crickets. like canid said check to see if these baits are legal in your area. the trout in my area, north alabama southern tennesee are hatchery raised and stocked in dam tailwaters.never tried marshmallows. good luck.
    Last edited by chiggersngrits; 08-16-2008 at 10:40 PM.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

I forgot the corn. Rooster tails the little black ones work best for me.

same here coot. 1/8 oz. black seem to be the best round here.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

My uncle (RIP) fished for salmon and trout in creeks where he could see the fish stacked up for miles. The best thing he found for them was something called a "sockeye fly" (someone from Alaska may know what it is) LOL. It is the single reason that the game wardens would run up to anyone they saw pulling in a fish and if it wasn't hooked in the mouth, it had to go back in the water. It was a treble hook with a lead weight built into the center designed for snagging fish. NOT LEGAL IN SOME PLACES!!!!!!!!!!!!! CHECK YOUR LAWS!!!!!!!!! But for survival purposes, WRITE ME A TICKKET!!!!!!! I'm alive to sign it. Should be part of every survival kit!!!!!!

thanks everyone.... im gonna have to expirement a few different baits and see which one works

i was fishing at a trophy trout lake up here, and the guy next to me said u don't need to waste good money on those fancy colored/scented marhmallows, that regular marshmallows work great. get the mini ones, or just break off small enough pieces. corn is a no-no, cuz it doesn't digest in their systems, and they die. so if the corn comes off the hook, dead fish for nothing. i heartily agree on black rooster tails, they are the best. at dawn and dusk, black is the best color for any lure. the fish see it better, cuz they are looking up towards the lighter sky, and black makes a better outline.
    ...gonna take a walk outside today...

Ryleyboy, is there any fishing supply stores in the area? Ask them what works in your local fishing holes, they will be able to tell you what is good in your area. Not all flies or bait work in all areas. For me here in NB on the Miramichi, it is a fly called the Green machine, or another one called a butterfly, but they may not work out where you are.

Question New One

Quote Originally Posted by smokelessfire View Post
    i was fishing at a trophy trout lake up here, and the guy next to me said u don't need to waste good money on those fancy colored/scented marhmallows, that regular marshmallows work great. get the mini ones, or just break off small enough pieces. corn is a no-no, cuz it doesn't digest in their systems, and they die. so if the corn comes off the hook, dead fish for nothing. i heartily agree on black rooster tails, they are the best. at dawn and dusk, black is the best color for any lure. the fish see it better, cuz they are looking up towards the lighter sky, and black makes a better outline.
    I never knew that about corn. We're talking about canned corn not hard. Make any difference, or just any kind of corn?

Well, I didn't know either but, apparently, it's false:

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/p.../corn_chum.htm
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well im gona have to purchase some rooster tails.

The only thing around here that bites on corn (canned) is grass carp.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

nightcrawlers on hook with no wait sinks slow they hit almost every time.
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    The only thing around here that bites on corn (canned) is grass carp.
    When I was younger we used corn for bluegills and brim.

Quote Originally Posted by sobeit View Post
    When I was younger we used corn for bluegills and brim.
    Never could get them to bite on corn,just the carp would.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

thanx for that link rick. i was told that corn kills trout, and that it is illegal to use here in ct for that reason. i will call the DEP(dept. of enviro protection) and find out. i would love to use corn again, i always had fantastic luck with it. oh, and coot is right, cheese is great! i use velveeta, as it stays on the hook a little better, and comes in that nice little foil pouch, staying fresh longer.
    Last edited by smokelessfire; 08-18-2008 at 09:26 AM. Reason: spelling error
    ...gonna take a walk outside today...