Thread: Cabins....Real CABIN vs. McMansion

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Cabins....Real CABIN vs. McMansion

I live in a cabin, 11' X 23', what we call a dry cabin, as in outhouse and haul your water, this is self imposed, I could afford bigger and better, kind of a Thoreau thing.

But what is a cabin.......really....? And when does a cabin become a house in a remote setting.

50 miles away is a Ski'town (Alyeska) and people have cabins with 4 large bedrooms, billiard rooms, these babies are 4,000+ square feet, with three car garages.

So to you what is a cabin, and what is a McMansion in the woods.....???

I live in the woods, my house is called by some a cabin. It is not to me, it has running water, electricty, satlite tv, salite internet, and all the comforments of home. To me a cabin is where there is no running water, lights are gas or oil, heat is wood, and the bathroom is out back....at least 100 feet away. This has always been what a camp is to me.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Maybe a cabin has become a second home that is in a less populated area. So if you have a $3.2million dollar primary residence, then your second abode is your cabin, even if it cost $2.4million. Maybe it is one of those relativity thingies....

Or maybe if it is yours you can call it what ever you Darn well choose.

I think the term cabin has become sort of a romantic idea due to marketing. There is a company selling log homes pretty close by. These things are gorgeous and start around 2500 sq ft. They are being marketed as part of Americana (I'll bet some think Abe Lincoln lived in one just like they're selling).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Definition:
    1. A small, roughly built house; a cottage.
    2. Nautical.
    1. A room in a ship used as living quarters by an officer or passenger.
    2. An enclosed compartment in a boat that serves as a shelter or as living quarters.
    3. The enclosed space in an aircraft or spacecraft for the crew, passengers, or cargo.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

An exec at a company where I used to work, had a 'cabin' not too far from where I live. One day we were chatting in his office, when he invited me to take a look at it, on his computer.

I assumed he was going to show me some photos, but no, he was showing me real-time video of each room. His cabin was electronically wired so that via the Internet, he could turn lights on and off, open and close the curtains, fire up the hot tub, check how much snow was on the roof (to see if he needed to call a service to go clear it) and adjust the thermostat. The place was over 4,000 square feet and you would have lost my house had you dropped it in the living room.

Not a cabin in my book, but that's how he always referred to it. I never did learn what his 'house' looked like.
    Life is too short to hurry through.
    ~ Kenny Salwey

i have always had a romatic view of a cabin, in my book some major requiremets to make it a cabin would be.

1. accesable only by 4x4, plane, foot, horse back or snow machine
    2. rustic one room with loft optional
    3. if it has running water it takes some one to pump the handle
    4. no indoor toilet

I guess I live in a house situated in a remote setting- not a cabin. However, it does only have seasonal vehicle access. Here is an interesting article that was in a regional magazine about my winter-time commute http://www.mtpioneer.com/archive-born-run.htm

When I think of a cabin, I think of hand hewn and notched logs. Not just a log kit, but actual logs. Location and heating wise, my home would be classified a cabin, but its really just a regular stick frame house with wood siding in the mountains
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Nice article Jason. Good luck with the 2010 Iditarod.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Nice article Jason. Good luck with the 2010 Iditarod.
    Hey Thanks...I am doing my qualifier races this winter, and trying to line up sponsorship and financing for 2010. At this point its still an ambitious dream, but I'm getting closer!
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

I have to ask.....Can you deliver a pizza by dog sled in under 30 minutes....to Indiana?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I have to ask.....Can you deliver a pizza by dog sled in under 30 minutes....to Indiana?
    Funny. The author of the story really wanted to focus on my connection to the local pizzaria (which I am a partner in) and wanted a picture of my dogs staked out if front of a house with me walking to the door with a pizza. I wasnt as excited about the staged photo. I wanted to emphasize how great the tours are, and try to encourage folks to come out for a little winter adventure. So, I guess we compromised.