Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Pistol

Hunter-Fisher-Trapper Ameriborn's Avatar

Default Air Pistol

Well, I have regularly hunted with an Air Rifle that isn't mine, and I have killed a Coyote at 30 yards with a shot right behind the ear. It dropped in its tracks. Now, I was going to get an air rifle, but the one he had cost $300, and I could get a nice centerfire rifle for that.

Anyway, the question that I am getting at is how many FPS should I get in an Air Pistol that I would put in my survival kit? I wouldn't be taking shots of more than 15-20 yards, and most would be about 10 yards. Also, it isn't for Coyote, mainly squirrels or things of similar size.

Any recommendations?
    To live is to survive. To hunt is to live, to fish is to live and to trap is to live.

Blog Entries

How about a Browning Buckmark or a Ruger Mk-II or anyone of the many other high quality .22's. They are no heavier and are much more powerful. Why limit yourself with a BB gun.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

personally in would not use an air rifle on coyote size game. iam with klkak on this one, get a .22.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

or at least a big bore air rifle. the higher power .20 cal through .50 cal rifles made specifically for hunting [powerfull enough for big game hunting in some high powered .50 cal models] are far more appropriate than say the .177 to .20 cal plinking types generally encountered.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Hunter-Fisher-Trapper Ameriborn's Avatar

I already have a .22, which is why I wanted the Air Pistol. Plus, I like shooting cans with them more, since I can shoot a brick of 22 in a day, and it takes me at least a week to get through all of the BBs.

However, I have decided I would carry the .22 with me now.

Have any of you saw the TV show on the Versus network where the guy shoots wild hogs with an air rifle? He uses dogs to corner them and then shoots them in the head and they die. On one he even shot it in the vitals and it died. He said he shot it there just to slow it down, but it died soon after he shot it!
    To live is to survive. To hunt is to live, to fish is to live and to trap is to live.

comes down to the air rifle that was used. as i said, and only recently used, they make .50 cal big game air rifles to rival many firearm cartridges. lewis and clark actually carried a .30 cal model on their voyage that had a seperate bicycle style pump.

you won't do that with a pumpmaster or other run of the mill airgun.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

id say forget about spending hundreds on a piece of carp air pistol and buy a slingshot/wrist rocket. but remember to keep it warm in the winter and pull it out when your gonna shoot because it help keep the band from getting worn out

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    comes down to the air rifle that was used. as i said, and only recently used, they make .50 cal big game air rifles to rival many firearm cartridges. lewis and clark actually carried a .30 cal model on their voyage that had a seperate bicycle style pump.
    WTF? Lewis & Clark did not carry an air rifle, as a matter of fact they carried a .45 cal New England Fowler -Clark and Lewis carried a .62 cal Brown Bess Long Land Pattern Rifle, both were flintlocks shooting round ball and shot. Read the book "Undaunted Courage" written by Stephen Ambrose, its a 1996 biography of Meriwether Lewis and the Lewis and Clark Expedition. The book is based on journals written by Lewis and Clark, along with others in the expedition, and also offers additional insight into the travelers and their thoughts. The book outlines the expedition in great detail, from encounters with Native Americans, trading, wildlife, what the explorers ate, and the route the expedition took. The text is supplemented by maps, and illustrations drawn by Lewis himself. Brief biographies of the major members of the expedition Lewis, Clark, Sacagawea, etc. are also covered.
    A very good read... Facts people get the facts please.
    Last edited by Beo; 08-19-2008 at 03:04 PM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Blog Entries

Dragon Slayer Single Shot .50" caliber Dragon precharged air rifle. Beautiful hardwood chequered stock. Rubber butt pad, new side-lever action, built-in air pressure gauge and quick-fill receptor port. Rifle has no open sights. A scope and mounts of your choice can be shipped with the rifle or installed at our gun shop. Number #1 choice for big game hunting enthusiasts.

New stock provides sturdy performance you can rely on! The new Dragon model is redesigned to be better balanced for more convenient operation and hassle-free handling.

It features a new, redesigned single high pressure air tank. The pressure gauge and quick fill receptor are located right beneath the barrel at the end of the tank. The loading is operated via side-lever action on the right hand side of the stock. This latest method of loading allows for easier loading compared to the original Dragon model. This beautiful and powerful .50 caliber Big Bore rifle delivers stunning hunting performance

At 50 yards there is some drop to the bullet, but you compensate by sighting in at 40 yards, then you're on from the muzzle out to perhaps 75 yards. A rifle like this has a limited range, after all. Within that range, though, it puts those bullets right where you tell it to, as long as you do your part.

The power of the rifle tested was a tight band from 185 to 192 foot-pounds, with the heaviest bullets getting the higher power, as you would expect. testing a brand-new rifle and it has been experience that after many shots the firing mechanism will wear smoother and the power will increase a bit.

Velocity of the 225-grain Pelletman bullets ranged between a high of 613 f.p.s. and a low of 581 f.p.s. for five shots on a fresh 3,000 psi fill. The average for a five-shot string was 601 f.p.s., but the average for the first three shots was a healthy 609 f.p.s. That velocity gives an energy of 185.34 foot-pounds of energy. The start screen of the chronograph was set five feet from the muzzle and the day was 72 degrees F, with a humidity of 80 percent.

The 250-grain bullet gave an average velocity of 584 f.p.s. for five shots and 589 f.p.s. for the first three. The higher number works out to an energy of 192.63 foot-pounds. The 275-grain bullet averaged 555 f.p.s. for five with the first three going 559 f.p.s. That's an energy of 190.86 foot-pounds. Given the energy and averages for the first three shots because hunters will either make the shot or not with those. Shots four and five are for finishers, if required.
    $619.99 for an air rifle, no thanks.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Lewis and clark air rifle:

...Clock and gun maker Isaiah Lukens of Philadelphia, PA, provided Meriwether Lewis and William Clark one of his air rifles for their 1803-1806 expedition to explore the northwest. Unlike most rifles which used black powder, the air rifle used compressed air to shoot its .31 cal. bullet.

Unlike black powder rifles, an air rifle made little noise when fired. It did not make smoke and had very slight "kick." And, you didn't have to "keep your powder dry!"

The butt of the rifle is actually a metal canister designed with a needle valve to hold compressed air. The air was stored under pressure --between700 and 900 pounds per square inch! (A modern car tire carries a pressure of 35 pounds per square inch.) When the trigger is pulled, just the right amount of air is carried from the butt to the bullet chamber and the round leaves the barrel with a whish...

“Proceeding On” To The Lewis and Clark Airgun - III

New Evidence on the Lewis and Clark Air Rifle

and from william clark's complete journals, compiled with lewis's by the two and john bakeless:
    The chiefs requested we would not leave them this evening. ... We showed them many curiosities, and the air gun, which they were much astonished at..
    Last edited by canid; 08-19-2008 at 04:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Sorry I guess I stand corrected, it is not mentioned in the book Undaunted Courage, which is where I got my info. Good to know and thanks, I'll get my facts straight next time. Although I can't see this being their primary hunting weapon it had to be a great asset to them and stun the native Americans they showed.
    Again thanks,
    Beo,
    Last edited by Beo; 08-20-2008 at 09:24 AM.

yeah; as i understand, it was a gift lewis felt compelled to take with them, rather than something they wanted, because they didn't seem to particularly excited about it themselves, and it's rarely mentioned unless it was malfunctioning or broken in an accident.

i personally would have preffered it, if indeed it where the girandoni but what can you say, not everybody has much confidence in airguns, even those which are powerfull enough for larger game hunting.
    Last edited by canid; 08-20-2008 at 02:05 PM.

Blog Entries

And i thank you for the information since I did not know that I have now learned something new, and with my love of the colonial and frontier days it was actually much needed, the links were great too.

a note about the girandoni; it was designed to be a military assault weapon and was a serious repeater.

I own a high quality RWS which throws a pellet at 1000 fps and though it can be quite deadly I would hesitate to hunt with it much preffering my .22 or 12

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    WTF? Lewis & Clark did not carry an air rifle, as a matter of fact they carried a .45 cal New England Fowler -Clark and Lewis carried a .62 cal Brown Bess Long Land Pattern Rifle, both were flintlocks shooting round ball and shot. Read the book "Undaunted Courage" written by Stephen Ambrose, its a 1996 biography of Meriwether Lewis and the Lewis and Clark Expedition. The book is based on journals written by Lewis and Clark, along with others in the expedition, and also offers additional insight into the travelers and their thoughts. The book outlines the expedition in great detail, from encounters with Native Americans, trading, wildlife, what the explorers ate, and the route the expedition took. The text is supplemented by maps, and illustrations drawn by Lewis himself. Brief biographies of the major members of the expedition Lewis, Clark, Sacagawea, etc. are also covered.
    A very good read... Facts people get the facts please.
    Actually Lewis and CLark did carry an airgun(for experimental purposes).. It was quite effective .. The original was given to the NRA museum(I think), by Dr. Robert Beeman, and a handbuilt copy was presented to him, which functioned just as well.. I had the distinct pleasure to hold the the original, as well as the reproduction.. A very good friend of mine did all the leatherwork for reproduction.. Let me tell you, I had goosebumps for days after holding both of them...

If you do decide on an air pistol(177), please stick to using it for small game.. I've used mine for that purpose for quite a long time, with no complaints..
    Personally, I'm not too keen on those Gamo's they show on tv, I don't see them lasting too long with using those light pellets in spring piston air rifles...

Best of luck to you in your choice

Hey Tuxdad - how about shootin on over to the introduction section when you get a chance and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Ijust bought a Beeman R2 Sportsman at Wallmart. Comes with a 177 and 22 barrel. The 22 is hek on birds, alittle too much, But puts small game right to sleep.

Sorry, will do that ASAP..

Had to chime in on this subject before I headed to work..

I've got an RWS Model 48 rifle, and a Benjamin Sheridan pistol that are both bad medicine for small game, and a few other unwanted critters(groundhogs, chipmunks, etc..).. Now I do have a few 22's, there are just those times when it's better not to draw attention to yourself(such as living in a small town, with a city limit firearms restriction)..

I use heavy pellets for my RWS, which eliminates the "crack" of breaking the sound barrier, where as a lot of these gamo's are doing just that with these very light pellets.. I tried them once in my RWS and it was MUCH louder than I care for as well as over time it may damage the piston.. Best of luck with your purchase !!

Tux
    Last edited by tuxdad; 10-28-2008 at 12:23 AM.

If you are going hunting....then go hunting! if you are talking about a survival situation, unless the game is tripping over you and even then, don't waste the calories you may need later. traps and snares is the way to go. expend your calories gathering fire wood and building shelter. you can check your traps and snares every time you go out for wood or shelter fixin's