Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boy Scouts or some non-profit that uses the wilderness...?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Boy Scouts or some non-profit that uses the wilderness...?

Can you think of non-profit groups that use wilderness land. I have started wondering if the Boy Scouts of America; or some such group is who I should leave my land to when I die.

I have no children. And the new barn would make a good assemble hall for meetings and crafts.

Anyway I have to deal with this estate issue. So other than "YOU", do you have any good ideas of organizations to leave 15.2 acres in the Chugach National Forest to. It has hundreds of tent sites, two wells, two pure creeks, waterfalls, etc..

No, there is nothing wrong with my body, but 62 is 62, and you never know when it is game over. So any ideas......?????

I just realized all the bears might be a problem........O'Well, "Always be prepared".
    Last edited by Sourdough; 08-13-2008 at 10:28 PM.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good on you, hopeak, that's our plan too but we'll leave it to an environmental organization. You might want to check out Outward Bound, they do great work with youth at risk among others and are a long established organization.
    Actions speak louder than words

I was thinking the Crashdive wilderness school for wayward youths. Seriously though, nice idea. Is there some organization or charity that you are passionate about? If so, they may be able to benefit from leasing or selling.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'd say hold off on Outward Bound and wait and see what direction they take in the next year or so. I worked as an Outward Bound Instructor for a couple of years, and I've been affiliated with them providing services as an "Independent contractor" for the past several summers, and they are going through some tough times right now.

They actually are in the process of closing 8 Wilderness bases around the USA- two in Montana that I do business with. They have had a drop in enrollment over the past decade, and are in the midst of redefining their direction. They are pulling out of many of the small, rural communites they have been in, and focusing on "Urban Centers" . They have alienated lots, and lots of their currrent staff and seem to have lost their core values.

However, their is an underground movement of former OB staff and students that are trying to organize a revolt and take it over from the current board of directors and return to their roots- only time will tell.

NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) may be a group to think about though.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

how about the YMCA? don't know how you feel about the group, but they offer great opportunities to children.

part of the woodlot that my grandfather used to have adjacent to the current parcel is now the nature trails for Kimball in mitchigan.

my first recommendation would have been the scouts, but you're already on that one.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

If your interested in already existing organizations I would suggest you start "courting" whatever groups you find interesting. They will give you feedback of their interest level (Some may not even want it) and also their management goals and what they would use the area for.

Alaska must be beautiful!!! Why not create or collaborate with others to create a survival or wilderness awareness camp or club? Might be fun to see others appreciate more fully what you enjoy.
    www.survivalnut.com

Why simply observe nature, when you can engage nature?

Blog Entries

The American Wilderness Trekkers is a new youth orginization here in the midwest, they are growing but the land they have is small, they have groups in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania. They are starting in Tennesse in 2012, West Virginia shortly after, and trying to get into Georgia and Alabama. They have just over 20,000 members but have to mainly use park land as they own only about 800 acres here in Ohio.
    They teach Native American Wilderness Survival, Land Conservation and Restoration with a program called Friends of the Forest, Animal and Plant Identification, Cultivation of edible plants, tracking, safe firearms handling and hunting, archery, medicinal plants and many other things. My son is a member and once a year they have a big outting at the land here in Ohio but its getting crowded as the membership grows. They have received awards from the State in the restoration of the forests here and in the program Friends of the Forest they plant trees and other plants native to the region where they are and have taken out 1000s of pounds of weeds that strangle out the forest and work on cleaning up the rivers.
    Not bad for an orgaization for youths from 7 to 17 years of age, after age 17 they can become leaders or Trek Masters.
    Beo,
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Blog Entries

You don't have to actually court any group, just pick one and in your will leave to whomever you choose, a lawyer can do the paperwork for a small fee as donations of land wills in most states are easy to do, just let the group know sometime down the road. Alot of lawyers will do it as a volunteer act because they get state credit for it.
    My wife (she's a lawyer) has done this twice for elderly people leaving land and money to organizations. But Hopeak your gonna be here for a while bro, so don't sweat it.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

No nieces or nephews? No cousins worthy of the land? (rhetorical questions. just thought provoking).

What NFP groups are near you? It would do little good to leave it to Rick's Wildlife School for Wayward Girls....I mean....kids... if I can't get myself or the girls....I mean...kids up there.

I see there are several groups in the Anchorage area.

Big Brothers Big Sisters - http://www.bbbs.org/site/c.adKGIVNsE....BE67/Home.htm
    Leave No Trace - http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/outdoor_eth...iples_v2.shtml
    Tread Lightly - http://www.treadlightly.org/

Check with the Better Business Bureau in Anchorage for a list of Charities and Not-For-Profits.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Ricks right, and Leave No Trace is great group.

I would say the Boy Scouts is one of the few groups that would actually have some money to do something with the land, and use it to its fullest potential. My son is in BSA and they are really nice people, very respectful of the land, and they keep kids busy so they don't get into drugs or gangs.

Blog Entries

Hey Hopeak, I could use a few acres The organization is the Broke azz Beowulf Fund
    Last edited by Beo; 08-14-2008 at 09:08 AM.

Man, I run a not for profit youth group that does tons of outdoors stuff, but we could never afford to get there and there's plenty of wilderness around here for them, I just want to add to what WW said. Good for you, it's a noble gesture whatever group you decide to go with.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Leave it to any kin you have.
    Surviving in Los Angeles-

hopeak:

In addition to a chat with an attorney, try to connect with someone locally who is a professional fundraiser. I would recommend trying to find someone who is a member of the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP). Anyone who has a "CFRE" after their name has that industry's equivalent of a CPA designation. An attorney may or may not give you advice on your land for free but a fundraisng professional will typically give you all sorts of resources and ideas without any charge.

You may realize signigicant tax advantages and there are any number of ways a donation of land can be structured to provide maximum benefit to you and any organization you chose to support. As you investigate organizations, it may be helpful up front to ask the organizations if they have anything in their established gift policies that prevent them from accepting land. This may be the case with some non-profits who have found their niche and have decided at the board level that the investment in upkeep of land, etc., is just not a fit with their mission and established resources.

As far as Boy Scouts go, you may learn more about which Boy Scout Council your land falls into by visiting www.scouting.org and selecting the "Local Councils" link which is right next to the "Home" button. Depending on the size and resources of the Council your land falls into, it may be advantageous for several Boy Scout Councils to look at partnering together on the long term upkeep of the property.

As a potential donor, you have the opportunity to specify as many details as you want and select what's important to you on how the land would be used. For example, if you want to ensure the land is kept more as a preserve environment with little to no changes done (trees taken down, etc.), you may the right to specify that in any agreement.

what an insightful and well written perspective DawnS. Please feel free to whip on by the intro section and give us all a chance to get better acquainted.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I will add my thanks for a great generosity. BUT what's this 62 stuff? I'm past you and don't have an expiration date, just high mileage. I am still hoping for a recall.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Wait?! What?! Did you post on here by mistake? Intelligent posts are few and far between around here...okay..they never happen. Welcome! And I mean that!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I loved scouts when I was in it. Just make sure you spell out that they cannot sell the land and instead make it available for training and camping. That way it will be available for decades to come.
    Bruce Zawalsky
    Chief Instructor
    Boreal Wilderness Institute
    boreal.net

Like I meant to say, any organization may be great, but the question is, do they have the funds to develop the lands for, say, camping? For camping you will need to put in water, latrines, campsites, a little parking, trails. Maybe a dock or two for canoes.