Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survival tool question

Blog Entries

Default Survival tool question

Without it being a gun or knife, axe or machete, spear or bow, and no multi tools either what would you take into the wilderness for food gathering, camp work, and other things those are used for.
    Now you can make whatever you want but you can't take any of the above.
    Let'er rip people!

Me I'd make snares for food and a stone axe for cutting. and a stone knife. maybe a fishing pole (of course then I gotta eat the fish.. yuk). I'd make a spear and fire harden the tip, for use as a hunting or fishing tool.
    Last edited by Beo; 08-13-2008 at 01:55 PM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

a) some kind of cordage that I could use for snares and fishing line
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

A cell phone to call for pizza and beer. Then a taxi to get home.

Err, was that cheating?
    "Squirrels are just rats with better PR." -- Anonymous

A small folding saw, paracord, flint and striker, a claw hammer, and a coffee can.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Blog Entries

Oooo I forgot folding saws, dang.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

(sound of buzzer) sorry to late...
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    A cell phone to call for pizza and beer. Then a taxi to get home.

Err, was that cheating?
    no way, long long time ago someone started a thread "what if you could only have one thing..." type, about 5 million people chose knives or fire starters, I said a satellite phone.

Of course, if you got your pizza and beer, are you sure you want to go home?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Banned
    Blog Entries

Beo, Every day I am in the wilderness, and I never take anything like survival equipment.

Some extra ammo in my right pocket, my ear plugs in my left pocket, and a "old Timer" folding knife on my belt. A firearm in my hand, that is it.

I am wondering about this survival equipment fascination verses good old woodsman ship, 100 years ago a man did not need 15 survival tools.

that sounds suspiciously like survival equipment to me hopeak. It's to each his own in terms of choice, you must feel you need to have those things or you wouldn't be packing them along.

Those good old fashioned woodsmen a hundred years ago packed along whatever they thought they'd need and I bet a whole lot of them would have been pretty happy to be packing some of the modern stuff we have today.

Blog Entries

I agree Hopeak, but it said non of what you carried, so then what would you take.
    Ya know I do historical trekking and take only what they used 250 years ago in the 1750s and even up till the Boone and Girty era, so I agree.
    Trax of course they would, but they didn't need it.

a 6 pack of beer.

i could drink the beer to feel better about my situation and then make many manner of tools from the glass.

i would also lean towards some fishing line, because let's face it, improvised fishing line is a compared to manufactured mono-filament.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't go into the woods that underequipped. I always have food for a minimum of 3 days on me because if I break an ankle out there when my partner isn't around, I don't want to start fiddling with wire snares and fish hooks in the hope of staying fed while working my way back home. Doesn't make sense to me to conciously handicap my chances of getting out of a tricky situation.
    Actions speak louder than words

Banned
    Blog Entries

Beo, My point is I don't think of any equipment as survival gear. I only take what I need, if I thought I would end up in a survival situation, I would stay at the cabin.

And if I broke my leg, just start crawling. I just see it as people are either doing it, or buying or shopping for some gadget, and confuse doing it with shopping, and pretending

To answer your question: a small package fishing pole, with flies and spinners.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wildWoman View Post
    I wouldn't go into the woods that underequipped. I always have food for a minimum of 3 days on me because if I break an ankle out there when my partner isn't around, I don't want to start fiddling with wire snares and fish hooks in the hope of staying fed while working my way back home. Doesn't make sense to me to conciously handicap my chances of getting out of a tricky situation.

What do you take if you and the dogs go for a 6 mile afternoon hike...?

I take what I said. If I go for a 5 day hike I take different stuff, But I never take anything that is just only for survival.

A small child. They work cheap.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Very well put Hopeak, I agree.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    What do you take if you and the dogs go for a 6 mile afternoon hike...?

I take what I said. If I go for a 5 day hike I take different stuff, But I never take anything that is just only for survival.
    What I cart around with me every day when walking the dogs fills up a small daypack:

leashes and collars
    pliers
    3 full ranger food rations
    bear spray
    bear bangers and flares
    compass
    paper and pen
    lighters and matches
    small metal cup
    long johns, thermal shirt, sweater
    socks
    rain jacket
    ankle brace
    2 garbage bags
    opinel folding pocket knife
    flagging tape
    painkillers for humans and dogs
    assortment of bandages
    some rope
    candle
    duct tape
    bug dope
    emergency stove thingie
    hand warmers

...I think that's it. Then I add other stuff to it if I'm out on the water, like a whole extra set of clothing, hiking boots, tarp and drysuit. And in the winter I bring yet more stuff in case I go through the ice somewhere.

Not your minimalistic type of bush girl. I just really don't fancy the idea of one day having a bigger problem out there (IMO only a matter of time with this life style) and then being equipped with only an oiled loincloth. Something could happen to me and/or the dogs while out walking any day and even if it's not that far from the cabin - if it makes me immobile or one of the dogs has something, I want to be comparatively comfortable to keep as clear a head as possible to deal with the real problem at hand and not have to start snaring rabbits kinda deal.

Blog Entries

My kinda woman well kinda I'm a little more primitive in an old fashioned kinda way but then again I don't live where you do.

Unfortunately, I am sure that you could find about anything you would need from the trash that others have left behind. I bet you would have to be pretty far off the beaten path to not find tin cans, bottles, trash bags, etc. that one, with a little imagination, could put to a survival situation. My biggest problem would be fire. I wouldn't have any problem making every thing else. I would just hate to have to rely on a bow and drill for heat.

Blog Entries

Beo, it's well known that men are more primitive