Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: About Food.

Quote Originally Posted by volwest View Post
    DEET,

First thing first, a little bit of humor...Sit down to a good hot meal ? Maybe in the Army. "A good hot meal" negates being in the military...at least the Marines.

That's kinda odd VW, there sure were alot of you devil dogs bellying up to the table in the galley on board the ship (notice I said ship which tells you the army pun aint gonna work here)

By the way, the reason I bring up the topic of food as a state of mind is because most of the population here or in the military has not been conditioned to shut off the sinapses of the nuerosystem that conduces us towards focusing on the things that won't help us in a critical situation. They don't know how to train there mind to ignore things such as pain, fatigue, or hunger. I'm not sure what kind of training you had in marines but food is one of the most important things when it comes to a military campaign.(why do you think the military spent all that money developing MRE's) Yes you are right that you can go for some time without eating but why would you when there is so much to eat in the wilderness?

I've gotta go now I'm hungry

Blog Entries

Cool The "food Tao" of VW!

1st, remember Napoleon's words: "An Army travels on it's stomach". Or these words from Wimpy: "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today!" That being said I think we need to boil this down to some important facts: Do you know how diet affects diabetics or those who are Hypo-glycomic? If I go without food for too long my blood sugar drops and I get weak as a kitten! The needs of the individual involved need to be considered as well. I think Nell could probably tell us more about diet and Diabetes form personal experience.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Unfortunately so sarge,beings my hubby is diabetic,I on the other hand am Hypo-glycemic,makes for some interesting meal planning.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I eat every 4 - 6 hours,small meals,or snack on fresh or dried fruit or peanutbutter.
    Last edited by nell67; 08-23-2007 at 01:29 PM.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Default volwest's giving these awesome examples

to explain what he's talking about, and I bet people are overlooking them. I did not know that ol Nappie invented the bagel (I did know about the sleep thing) but I think if we consider why the bagel was made the way vol just described, and look at what we do with bagels today, that pretty much explains what he's talking about. Think those French infantrymen were sitting down to toast their bagels and spread cream cheese on them while they were marching through the mud of Poland on their way to Moscow? I don't.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Wink Uh-oh, Wide open!

We obviously received a different training.

"shutting off synapses" without chemicals is impossible. There are other technics to first understand what is happening to your body, and then control pain, fatigue or hunger. The SEALs focus a lot on all of that in their training...have you seen what they make humans do during "hell week" ?
    My training, and most Marines, will go through a LOT of sleep and food depravation, to get used to it but also to make us realize that we can still function on very little sleep and food...and push through the pain.

Sarge...did you know that napoleon only slept 3/4 hours a night for most of his life ? He also invented the bagel, the hole in the middle was to be able to string together all the bread...and that is pretty much all of what his armies ate on the field...different times.

I have in my family both hypo-glycomics and diabetics (which are the two opposite ends of a same stick.)...and i empathize with you...but those are disorders and make for a small amount of the population. Like Nell said on another thread, you will have to make specific preparations in order to compensate for the way your body functions.

This does not negate our relationship with food.

I am not talking about our need for food (it is a pretty obvious one), i am talking about our relationship with this need yes ?
    So that's why Napoleon always had his hand inside his coat, he was stashing a bagel...with Locks and cream cheese I'll bet. Oy Vay! That sounds kosher to me! Also I hear sleep deprivation stunts your growth...or not?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    So that's why Napoleon always had his hand inside his coat, he was stashing a bagel...with Locks and cream cheese I'll bet. Oy Vay! That sounds kosher to me! Also I hear sleep deprivation stunts your growth...or not?
    sleep deprivation stunts your growth huh?? So thats what happened....I heard it was the coffee lol.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

Wink Okay VW, ready to rumble, oh that's just my...

...stomach. I have this "love/hate relationship with food; I love to eat and hate to quit. Also can you give me the address and phone number of that person who'll pay all that cabbage for a slice of Pizza? I got a slice of pepperoni sittin' here not doin' anything...
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I'm sure you know this and are just being funny... but Napoleon was crippled and hid his hand from view out of pride.

Blog Entries

Cool Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I'm sure you know this and are just being funny... but Napoleon was crippled and hid his hand from view out of pride.
    Just bein' funny, when Nap. met Jos the 1st thing she said to him was, "funny, you don't look jewish." Sorry Chris, can't help myself tonight!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Just bein' funny, when Nap. met Jos the 1st thing she said to him was, "funny, you don't look jewish." Sorry Chris, can't help myself tonight!
    AWWW SARGE!!!

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

DEET,

First thing first, a little bit of humor...Sit down to a good hot meal ? Maybe in the Army. "A good hot meal" negates being in the military...at least the Marines.
    I remember sitting down to a hot meal in the field, IN THE NAVY CHOW HALL, or IN THE ARMY CHOW HALL.

Sorry to say, while in the field on lrrps, I was happy with a cup of hot coffee and the peanut butter and crackers. I liked the eggs and would trade off my pound cake for it. Nobody liked the eggs, so they had a green tint to them, a little tabasco and they were good to go.

The crackers and peanut butter were awsome for patrols as they kind of bound ya up. You could go days without having to do a sit down job.

The ham was okay, I guess. When you're hungry you just about eat anything. We would scrounge up wild onions, someone always had some top roman noodles, throw it in the steel pot and simmer. Make sure your steel pot was not painted inside.

The did have canned stew aka dog food.

If we were doing jeep patrols, you just stuck the canned food on the side of the little 4 banger and you had an oven. JUST DON'T FORGET THE FOOD IS THERE or you would have one big mess.

Blog Entries

Talking Hey!

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    I remember sitting down to a hot meal in the field, IN THE NAVY CHOW HALL, or IN THE ARMY CHOW HALL.

Sorry to say, while in the field on lrrps, I was happy with a cup of hot coffee and the peanut butter and crackers. I liked the eggs and would trade off my pound cake for it. Nobody liked the eggs, so they had a green tint to them, a little tabasco and they were good to go.

The crackers and peanut butter were awsome for patrols as they kind of bound ya up. You could go days without having to do a sit down job.

The ham was okay, I guess. When you're hungry you just about eat anything. We would scrounge up wild onions, someone always had some top roman noodles, throw it in the steel pot and simmer. Make sure your steel pot was not painted inside.

The did have canned stew aka dog food.

If we were doing jeep patrols, you just stuck the canned food on the side of the little 4 banger and you had an oven. JUST DON'T FORGET THE FOOD IS THERE or you would have one big mess.
    What? No Bagels?
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

My fav. was SOS and runny eggs, this was supplied to us by the good ol USMC.

Now the Army chow hall in Panama, man, I was on the advanced party and for a week ate like a king. They actually asked you what you wanted and made omlettes to order. The coffee, in the bottom of the cups didn't even have old cig butts. All good things come to an end, they left and I was sent into the jungle.

Blog Entries

Question Uhmm, VW?

Did you know you can make a cutting tool out of the filter of a cigaret butt ?
    Old french trick when taken prisoner to cut your veins...and end the endless jokes.
    One last smoke.

So...let's keep it real.(that makes me laugh)
    I know a lot about the pathological state we call hypoglycemia. In fact i know a lot about food.
    I actually did some research in pathophysiology and if your plasma glucose levels are below 70 mg/dl...congratulation, you can call yourself hypoglycemic.
    Although not my main focus, 10 to 20 grams of carbohydrate will raise your blood glucose to normal levels within minutes.
    That's about 4 crackers...or 3 ounces of orange juice.

A "normal" adult will be able to maintain a blood glucose level above 50 mg for 72 hours.
    If you can fast through the night, i wouldn't call you hypoglycemic, but that's just me.

If you get "shaky" it means you are having adrenergic manifestations of hypoglycemia...which are governed by hormones such as adrenaline and glucagon.
    But to be sure i would have to look into it more because often people think they are hypoglycemic when in fact they have high anxiety levels which "give out" similar manifestations.

If you do monitor your blood levels, and you tell me that you drop bellow 50 to 70 mg, then i believe you...and i would recommend you find the cause of it and the proper etiology...for it could be as simple as replacing the appropriate hormones for example.

If you do not in fact go bellow 70, but still experience manifestations...then i would look into anxiety disorders.
    I guess all that's well & good, but I was talking about "Survival" in relation to physical problems someone might have that might prevent them from doing without food. You know, keeping it real!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

It is always about food. Many cases of hypothermia are from not enough of the right fuel going in the system. People That survive on a bowl of rice a day are not usualy up to extreme hard work especialy in a cold harsh enviorment.Anyone going 3 weks without fod is not going to go away with out some health isues damage to their organs. If you wait to long to think about food you may have waited to long.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

I have actually tested my blood sugar when I have had "episodes" and my glucose level was around 50-60 each time I have taken it.Easier to control my problem than hubbies and I always carry a few packets of table sugar or hard candy in my pocket,but it has been 4 years since my last episode,I learned how to control it with eating more often,but smaller meals eating fruits and such,I do avoid eating sugar as much as possible,because the sugar high almost always leads to a sugar low.

I just try to keep it even.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

Question Who?

And what do you think i am talking about ?
    VW, are you posting to? If me I thought you were talking about a "relationship" as opposed to specific needs.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Ya waan eat MREs?

Here's something that can help, download it if you want!

http://vietnamresearch.com/manuals/crats/mre.html

Enjoy!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Here's something that can help, download it if you want!

http://vietnamresearch.com/manuals/crats/mre.html

Enjoy!
    Very Nice, Thanks Sarge
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.