Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: About Food.

Blog Entries

Cool About Food.

Yes it is true that a human can three weeks without food; what the people who write that either don't tell you or you haven't read that far is you still need food! Food provides calories, which in turn provide energy, which you will need to do the things you need to do to survive! Go without food for only a few days and as you expand energy without replacing it you will become indecisive, weak, and lack the drive you need to get you out of the situation your in. In the Discovery channel's 2 part program on the "Marine Corps Survival School" they didn't give each "Jarhead" an egg and a lone match. They were going up into a mountainous terrain in the dead of winter so each one was given one half of a days ration, (One "cold weather" MRE) and a live rabbit, which they had to kill ,skin, gut, disjoint, & cook. They were not allowed ANY matches or lighters as they all had to learn to start a fire using the "Bow & Drill" method 1st. Once they accomplished this task they were given the designation: "Master of Fire" along with a really nice flint & steel set in a cool leather pouch that they slid onto their belts. They all wore GI Issue Polypropolyne thermals, "Mickey Boots", and other "ECWCS" clothing and equipment, including the 3-piece Sleeping bag system. Please note: This is the Marine Corps; "Hard charging Devil Dogs"; as hard-core as your going to find anywhere, and they carried canteens, mess kits, knives, etc.. No one decided to head up into the mountains wearing nothing but a loin cloth and carrying a stone axe. They had to forage for food, and here's the important part...Their diet included not only the MRE and every edible part of that rabbit they were given, but fish and any other game they might scare up. There were no, or very little edible plants. It still was a hard-core class. Food is nessasary, and if you don't want to eat bugs and grass, learn to fish, trap, and hunt game, use a hand-made sling if you have to!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Food keeps you warm to. Also if I don’t eat enough I can get really dizzy which could be a problem if I was trying to survive out in the wild.

i want my... ah nevermind

Default "Yeah I have a reply......What?"

I deleted this reply since it really had nothing constructive to add to the topic
    Last edited by DEET; 08-18-2007 at 08:19 PM. Reason: what's the point.

That is you can easilly survive 3 weeks without food where you are right now, in the brush your are digesting yourself well before the 3 weeks time period, cause your body is fighting to adapt it's self to it's surroundings, and as you won't be sitting on your hands you will be burning calories like crazy just to fuel yourself to get around.
    Depending on the conditions critters will be chewing on your bones before the three weeks are up.
    If you cant get protien, then work on getting nutrients then, but get something working.
    If you are going to die don't lay down and let death take you, get mad and put up a fight all the way, and do what you can even if you have to chew willow twig tips!

Blog Entries

I'm going to go make a sandwich, get a bowl of chips, and some ginger ale and read Vol's thread again.

Oh hell, I'm just going to eat.

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

I think it might be better stated as; You CAN live a few weeks without food - but it isn't a good idea, for the reasons stated above.
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the whole world know that today is the day of reckoning
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

Quote Originally Posted by volwest View Post
    My "little" text above is just to re-situate food and maybe understand a little better the deep importance and meanings it has for us...like Owl Girl's post is fascinating to me....
    Do you have any questions about my post volwest? Id be happy to answer any.
    I should probably ad that I don’t get dizzy from just missing super, last time I was dizzy it was because I was eating one meal a day for a week. And I was dizzy the whole week and I had very little energy. This usually happens if there’s a sudden decrease in food or if my activity level suddenly changes, like if I exercise every day for a couple weeks and then I stop…that will make me dizzy. If I gradually decrease my food intake I won’t get dizzy though. After 2 days of not eating I can feel my energy level go down and it’s a little uncomfortable but not to bad. I’ve never gone longer than 2 days without food though

Default this is tough

I'm going to have to start packing a lunch to make it through volwest's posts
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Default or

eat my book collection,
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Trax and Volwest…that was hilarious

You would starve to death.
    But wouldn't I die smart? LOL

trax,

I am not sure that eating books is the right way to to go about "ingesting" knowledge.May be a little rough on the digestion...
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Default comes with getting old

trying to get more fiber in the ol' diet Nell

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    trying to get more fiber in the ol' diet Nell
    Haha! so maybe a few others need some roughage,eh? Care to share?
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

Funny thing about eating, I've gone two days without eating just cause. Usually it's in the summer when it's hot. Drink alot of water, food just does not seem to be needed.

But it is.

I've learned to force eat when working hard out in the heat. Drink plenty of water and gator., 3 to 1 ratio. Don't eat heavy burgers, rather a salad with mixed chicken, veggys, stay away from any acidy vegs and fruits.

The idea of not eating for 3 weeks just makes my muscles hurt. On a good note, hey bet my six pack would be tighter.

six pack... six pack ... oh yeah now i remember what i was doing. where did i put that thing.. be right back.

Blog Entries

Talking Steady Diet.

Here's the thing, if I don't eat every 20 minutes or so I'll lose my appetite. I think we wore Wareagle out!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Default Body type is important

You're body type is very important when it comes to surviving without food. If you have the six pack abs and ripped muscular build with very little body fat you will become nourishment for your companions. It all depends on your reserves. I am not in the best shape, I'm a little overweight but that is actually a good thing in a survival situation, it gives your body a few days of energy without the drop off. I have to agree with vol and sarge on this one. Water is the most important thing first but you also need food if for anything else just to keep your spirits up (besides I love the taste of a rabbit cooked over an open flame). Your body also needs the protiens from meat to repair the damage you are doing to your muscles which is alot if in a survival situation, that is why the men on the Lewis and Clark expedtition ate about 4 pounds of meat a day (I read this in a book so it must be true )

Most importantly it's also about morale. Anyone who has ever served in the military can attest to how good it makes you feel to be able to finally sit down to a good hot meal. Which supports the old addage that the most important thing in a survival situation is to maintain a positive attitude and that is hard to do when your stomach is empty, hurting and begging for something to eat.
    Last edited by DEET; 08-22-2007 at 04:54 AM. Reason: I type faster than I can spell

Blog Entries

Cool I don't believe it!

DEET,

First thing first, a little bit of humor...Sit down to a good hot meal ? Maybe in the Army. "A good hot meal" negates being in the military...at least the Marines.

I am extremely suspicious of "old adages"...especially when talking about food and our relationship with it. After all, not too long ago "they" (adages creators) flipped the trusted food pyramid on it's side.

We obviously do not know what the hell we are talking about here. More teenagers have an eating disorder than there are gun owners in this country, and most of our TV programs are somehow linked to food one way or another. While tabloids, magazines and diet or cook books exploit this fascination of ours while we parade around eating pounds of food in one serving, and drink more crap than is humanly possible in 2 liter mugs.

My first post pointed out this compulsion, and it is still viewed as something far fetch.
    A positive attitude should not be linked to food. How can i survive in this world if i regard food as the ultimate life source ?
    No sun means no food. No water means no food....etc.
    Our priorities as humans have been turned upside down through the emulation of fear, power and pleasure.
    Some people on this planet work 16 hour days in the fields or mines and all they eat is a bowl of rice with some bamboo shoots in it. How is that for proof that all of our views regarding this grand savior is out of place ?

You talk about "body types"...What on earth is that ?
    Reserves ? How can we think that way ?
    This approach is only good if we ALREADY are in a survival situation, and we cannot preserve nor transport our kill for example, the lion or big predators still function that way...eating all they can and walking away carrying 50 pounds of meat in their belly, risking being killed themselves for not being able to run anymore!!! That's reserve. But us ? I am not a big cat...

We have to re-think our view on food. The way we consume it, the way we feel about it, the way we talk about it, the way we joke about it. Everything about food was and is denatured.
    With the advance of technology, we have now the capabilities of storing pounds of foods at home, the availability of nutrients is so abundant today, and yet we fear lacking it more and more. We are obsessed.
    Food defines cultures, it defines religions, food defines your rank, your place in the heard, your status...food defines us.

Is it a good thing you are overweight ?
    Of course not !
    Biologically speaking it makes your heart work harder, it makes your blood circulation poorer, think about the fat that accumulates around your arteries, and from a survival point of view, i would rather be agile and fast than carry a "little extra fat for later ! "

But that is not the issue i bring "to the table" (here it is again)...the issue is psychological...the issue is what food means to us, and how it affects our state of minds.

So "it" does not depend on your reserve, "it" depends on your state of mind, and how you deal with hunger. I always enjoy watching "survivor" for many psychological reasons, but food is a big one. The "hunter" or "food provider" is almost always viewed as the hero, the mother/father, the savior. Why ?

Some of them, will pass on $1000 000 for a slice of pizza.
    This same mentality, in a survival situation, will sell your life for that same slice of pizza.
    Is this what thousands of years of humanity comes down to ?
    Some say we are the most intelligent specie in the world...yet we are governed by a slice of pizza. We are governed by the fear of lacking something that is not even at the top of the list of must haves biologically.

We do need food to survive.
    But we must recognize the mechanisms and processes involved with this need. We have lost along the way the true meaning of food. We have turned food into a jail, imprisoning our minds in walls made of sugar.

Food shouldn't be a mental process, but we made it that way.
    VW did it! He psyco-analyzed the Big Mac!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin