Thread: Looking for a good 4-5 day canoe/rafting trip in the 48 states

Default Looking for a good 4-5 day canoe/rafting trip in the 48 states

Are there any good spots in which one could canoe/raft for a good 100 miles or so while still remaining in mostly wilderness. I've been looking at some of the wilderness areas in wyoming, but just haven't found a good route.

I'd prefer the entry and exit points to be near bridges, but as little civilization/people as possible in between. I've been told Alaska is great if you can afford to fly up there and pay bush pilots to fly you in, but i'm not looking to spend that kind of money. I also don't want continuous or big white water. I wouldn't mind a few smaller class rapids though.

Not really a survival trip as we plan to take enough food for the expedition and tents and such.

Any ideas welcomed.

Well, you don't give us much to go on...like where you are or how far you want to go. Sooooo. Here's some in Montana:

http://www.trails.com/activity.aspx?area=10903

You might also consider the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. It has 1200 miles of canoe routes.

http://www.bwcaw.org/
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

the trouble with that is the way people tend, partcularly in rural areas and in the larger urban centers tend to settle along bodies of water.

there are many rivers in the lower 48 where you can paddle a hundred miles and spend 90% of the way in either wild or in rural settings, but the settled areas you do come across will ofter be right along the waterway. the exception, as i've seen it is on bodies of water that flow down rough terrain, not suitable for a relaxed trip, and would tend to be about half portage.

there are stretches like that in washington state. the upper US end of the columbia river for example offers fine paddling, due to it's extensive system of resivoirs. many stretches are expansive and flat and the areas of northern and eastern washington state are generaly very rural or wilderness.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Maybe you should consider Canada? I'm mostly familiar with the North, but here's one route (though almost exclusively on lakes) that is pure wilderness and easy to get to - well, depending on where you live...It's the headwaters of the Yukon River, Atlin and Tagish lakes.
    You fly (or take the bus) to Whitehorse, Yukon, then hitch or take a bus down to Atlin BC. Put in your canoe at the marina, head straight across the lake (very early in the morning and only when it is completely calm. The lake gets 12' waves on it). Paddle down the Atlin River, class 2-3 rapids (there is also an excellent portage trail along it). Then you're on Tagish Lake and follow that up until you get to the hamlet of Tagish (about 140km). Here you can catch a bus again to Whitehorse or Atlin, or hitch a ride.
    Lots of excellent wilderness canoeing in the north that is road accessible, but you have to be able to cope with emergencies yourself because you won't encounter too many people. Cell phones don't work. Oh and scrap the Yukon River...everybody and their dog is on it.
    Actions speak louder than words

And...the north has those lovable black and brown bears. Set out some raw fish or fry up some bacon. They like both.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

where do you live and how far do you want to travel ?I 'm planning a thee day paddle down the sugar river here in wisconsin in acouple weeks. It's not three days all paddling but let me know where you are alot of good canoing in WI. .
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

You want white water? Don't know where you are so it's a little tough on us. I like the New River in WV, wonder why? If you are just planning you might want to wait til bridge day when bungee jumping is legal from the bridge. Guide is a "have to" on stretches thru the New River Gorge
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

There are lots of great places to do that still- that is what I do for a living actually! The Missouri River in Montana, the lower Yellowstone River in Montana, the North Fork of the Flathead also in Montana are a few that would work for you. Down in the Texas- the Rio Grande through Big Bend National Park and the lower canyons after the park are awesome. There are several awesome reaches of river in Utah that afford long multidays floats without lots of big rapids- the Green, the Colorado and the San Juan all come to mind.
    Over in New England Maine has several nice rivers that one can float for long periods- the Machias is really nice.

But, if you want truly remote Wilderness Canoeing you have to go to Canada. THe best Wilderness Canoeing is there- the Nahanni, the Mountain River...are just a couple. There are two guys that have written several books about Canoeing in Canada- Bill Mason's "Path of the Paddle" series of books and films is awesome. Also, Cliff Jacobson has several books about Wilderness Paddling- look those two guys up.

If your really serious feel free to email me, and I can give you tons of info. I have been leading remote river expeditions for over 15 years all over the globe.
    Cheers!
    Jason
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

I live in alabama, so anywhere is a good haul. I figured to plan on 2 days driving if i wanted to do wyoming. Canada is probably too far. Montana would probably make it 2 looooong days of driving both ways.

Someone suggested Ozark Mountain rivers in Southern Missouri. Anyone been there?

The reason I want to avoid white water is the 2 of us just don't have any real experience and don't want a guided trip. I've done the ochoee in TN so i think I would be fine with anything smaller than that. just no big hardcore rapids. I would prefer not to have to deal with them constantly, but the occasional small ones may be fun.

The Buffalo River in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas is awesome- look into that one. I have floated it several times you wont be disappointed
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Also, do some research on the Mississippi. In some areas there are still some incredibly wild sections of that river. There are giant sandbars to camp on, and mature forests and in tact riparian systems. I met a guy once that has a guiding operation on the lower Miss, and he just raved about how wild some parts of it still are. His companies name is the Ouachita Canoe Company. Look him up- he knows the wild places along Southern rivers, he can point you in the right direction

Checking out buffalo maps now, quick question. does it flow west to east? or east to west?

West to East

Thanks Jason. Just looking at maps its hard to tell how much we would really be away from people. I realize it impossible to avoid civilzation entirely in the 48 states, but I don't want bridges, houses, and water skiers around every bend either.

Is camping restricted at many places along the river?

Also I'm trying to get away from our muggy southern climate, how is the weather there in mid September? How much better of a river route would it be if we decided to take off a few extra days and do montana?

On the Buffalo you'll definetly float under bridges, and the occasional small town. There will also be plenty of other people (no water skiers though). But, honestly it doesn't really distract from the experience there. It is a beautiful river, and feels plenty remote most of the time.

The Rio Grande in South Texas is the most remote river experience I have ever had in the lower 48. I did a 16 day trip on it in January one year, and only saw two other groups on the entire float. We floated under maybe a couple of bridges, and a few old homesteads, but for the most part it was nothing but scrub land and big canyon walls. Awesome landscape and very remote- maybe think about that

I imagine anywhere in the Southern US is going to be hot in Sept.

It probably isn't the type of trip you are looking for, but you might want to check out Monroe County, Florida (not the keys, the section south of Collier County). No rafting, canoeing and kayaking are excellent though. You can drift around for weeks through all the mangroves and up a few 'rivers' and not encounter much of anyone much less civilization. Bad time of year here though for that sort of excursion. Best to wait until after hurricane season passes and the bugs get knocked down a bit. Don't want to get caught out there without a weather radio and a Cat 3 hurricane bearing down. Plenty of established primitive camps set up in surprising places as well.
    "Squirrels are just rats with better PR." -- Anonymous

I've also done sections of the Buffalo and highly recommend it. You can float for hours and never see a sign of civilization on some sections. There is also some advanced white water on the Buffalo from the Boxley, AR to the Hailstone River. Class III or IV. Not sure I remember correctly.

If you decide to float out to the White River just be sure to check the dam discharge times from Bulls Shoals Lake. I don't think it's a big threat, just be aware of it.

never been in a canoe in my life dude, can't help ya. OK....there aren't very many places in Canada where you can't find awesome canoeing if you want to make the trip up. Every province and territory has awesome canoe routes all through them, well except maybe Prince Edward Island because it's just tiny, but all the mainland areas and Newfoundland, have great canoe routes, thousands of them, literally, thousands
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

XXL size Jr. Member

Again as someone said- it depends on how far you want to go but I have done an 8-day trip in the Boundary Waters of MN/Ontario. We went out of the Arrowhead (Gunflint Lake) and did about 90 miles in 8 days, stopping to fish and such. It was a wonderful trip. There's outfitters there (Gunflint Lodge and others) that can help you. Permits are required but it's serene, peaceful, very good water and the fishing is top notch too.

Good luck. My canoeing these days is limited to getting to and from a remote duck blind in a shallow marsh where the jon-boat won't go! Knees won't stand that kinda canoe-trip unless it's mandatory!

Have fun-

NT