Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For our gun people.

Blog Entries

Default For our gun people.

For thise of you that are into guns and those that like to keep up in the newest and latest weapons our military will be using check this out. A new rifle made for special ops.
    http://www.military.com/news/article...ml?ESRC=dod.nl
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Default Who remembers the H&K G-11 caseless

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    For thise of you that are into guns and those that like to keep up in the newest and latest weapons our military will be using check this out. A new rifle made for special ops.
    http://www.military.com/news/article...ml?ESRC=dod.nl
    Hey Beowulf, did you ever have a problem with the M-16A2 for stopping power?
    And did you ever see the G-11 in trials in the 80's?

Blog Entries

Never had a problem, but I had an M16 with M203 grenade launcher on it, one of the only LRSD Sergeants to carry one as most made the lower enlisted carry it. But I loved my 203 wcich I named "Thumper" because I got twitterpated when I shot it and thumped out blasted someone If I didn't carry that I carried a car-15 the precursor to the M4. Loved it too btw.
    Last edited by Beo; 08-08-2008 at 03:25 PM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Side observation: I have after one year completed creating a AR-15 pistol, with 10 1/2" Barrel, in 6.8 SPC which has not matched the vision: For walkabout it is hard to carry, and harder to shoot, so it will go bye-bye at the next gun show.

Very interesting and I wonder if the trend will be to eventually transition to the 7.62
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

the SCAR has been around since 2 years ago I think it is the S.E.A.Ls or marines already have it in use and the army's Rangers have been allowed to use it but I think testing for all branches started last year and it is going to be the replacement for the m-16

Blog Entries

After some very unpleasant incidents back in the 80's. I begged and pleaded for something else. At the time I was carrying a GAU-5. I was finely issued a highly modified Remington 870 12 guage w/several different types of ammo and a 1911 pistol both of which were brand new. For what I was doing and where I was at, these two weapons were about perfect.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

I'm rather impressed by the XM8. Too bad it looks like it will lose the contract to an inferior Colt model due to politics.
    "Squirrels are just rats with better PR." -- Anonymous

I'll stick with my M 21 and the M 85. Both have stopping power and range! If the LIL Bas*er*d gets closer? I'll use one of the home made claymores. Hey I got a Mossy 12 for that now! Bring them on!

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by RobertRogers View Post
    Very interesting and I wonder if the trend will be to eventually transition to the 7.62
    I have been thinking the same thing for years. Abundance of ammo stockpiled worldwide will have a lot to do with it. It will go like my favorite 45cal. I just can't be convinced that semi auto 9mm that holds 14 for example is more efficient when maybe two 9mm rounds equals one 45. That's my opinion not statistic comparison. Lots of 9mm stockpiled worldwide probably had a lot to do with the semi change or part of the excuse Uncle Same made to go to Beretta for the Mod 92. I just don't like the nine. I own one, put less than 100 rounds thru it, cleaned it and back to the gun safe. Before I would carry the nine I would chose my Walther PPK/S in .380 with Federal Personal defense loads. Guess we know what opinions are like
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Blog Entries

There's a pistol, can't remember the maker I think its H&K that makes a 5.7mm that will go through a vest because of the high velocity, nice little pistol though. I happen to like the M16, colt AR15 and especially the M4 but then those are what I trained with and have carried. 1 out of every 6 of our cruisers have an M4, the driver of those cruisers are designated "Heavy Weapons" operators and we all get annual training on them. Still one well placed shot is all that is needed. For SRT I carry an M4 and at times the shotgun.

Rabbits fear my name.....

The FiveseveN is made by FN-Herstal. It is a 5.7X28mm round, and the pistol starts around $1,000. Thus, alas, I don't have one.....

Blog Entries

That's the gun couldn't remember for some reason, real nice though. It goes for around $899.00 here in Ohio, I want one but...
    well its not a flintlock so I'd never shoot it.
    Last edited by Beo; 08-12-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Blog Entries

Beo, The ammo for the FiveseveN that will penetrate soft body armor is only available to Law enforcement and Military (special order). It has never been nor ever will be released to the civilian market. Technically you would be able to buy it. However I've heard it is very hard to come by even for those authorized to have it.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Anyone know just off the top of your head, maybe Beo is possession of Black Talons now Illegal? Not that I have any, just curious.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Black Talons were never illegal and aren't now. A quick read of several firearms forums seems to indicate that many feel the Ranger SXT design is the same bullet, just without a coating. There is also a Wiki article about it, but I'm dubious about its origin and veracity.
    "Squirrels are just rats with better PR." -- Anonymous

Pretty sure that the SXT was an attempt by Winchester to calm down the hysterical reaction that was going around about the Black Talons. As far as I know, Black Talons are legal.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Also not that Black Talons never could penetrate soft body armor. When I retired a vest several years ago, some friends and I took it to the range and fired several different rounds at it to see what it could take. I fired 2 180g. .40 S/W Black Talons at it from 7 yards. Both fell to the ground after impact only cutting a couple layers. I won't relay what rounds punched though. The vest was a Second Chance Ultima w/Ti trauma plate.

The SXT's are the same load as the Black Talons without the black of course.

Uh, were you wearing it during the test?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Klak, here in Ohio the rounds for the Five-seveN are over the counter even the ones that will penetrate body armor, I first heard about this gun when the range instructors had one and bought the ammo at Bass Pro and they bought the ones that penetrate body armor there too. The tests proved that while it goes through the front plate it has a considerable spread (the projectile kinda mushrooms) and would not penetrate the back of the vest, even so that means it would go into the wearers body. These rounds can be bought at Bass Pro here in cincinnati or at least could have been at the time of testing, I personally don't need those kinda rounds as my flintlock won't them
    Rick we didn't test our vest or any rounds that way thank God