Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what do you use to sharpen Knives in the field?

If you keep your knife sharp, you can touch up the edge with a piece of waterproof sand paper about the size of a Dollar bill, If you cant find a flat surface, Lay it on the top of your leg, A few strokes and your good to go . and you cant get much lighter.

Using sandpaper is also an easy way to get a convex edge. Using the sandpaper on your leg will give it that edge, but may be too much of an angle.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

****note to self - check contents of first aid kit, making sure there is an abundance of bandages before stropping a razor sharp knife on a piece of paper on my leg*****
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I carry the Sentry Solutions kit when I'm out and about. It works great as long as the edge isn't already FUBAR'd.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Have you ever tried to cut a piece of emery cloth with a knife! Also you dont push the edge across the paper, you pull it.

Ummm.....it was a joke RWB.....or at least an attempt.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Ha Ha You got me. Just trying to get my point across. Still feeling my way around here. Great site yall have here. Lots of info.

Blog Entries

If I'm in the field and I need to sharpen my knife, and for some reason I have forgotten my sharpening stone, then I use a nice smooth creek or river stone, one that has been smoothed by the years of river water flowing over it. Works great in a pinch. Of course that's only after my other two knives have dulled.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Default altoid tin sharpener

wet dry sand paper stored in a altoids tin. cut to fit on lid when top is closed. i have a piece of rubber on top of lid for smooth surface. ( leather works to) I store a thin leather strip for stropping inside along with multiple grits of paper and finger bandages . have added a small bag of vaseline coated cotton balls for fire starter and rust treatment on knives. here in mid coast ME. 90% humidity and higher is common in the summer time

90%? Quit bragging about your dry weather.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I mostly use a ceramic sharpener in the field....small and key chainy...along with a small Arkansas stone

http://www.amazon.com/Rapala-Ceramic...ife+sharpeners

Works well to dress the edge after cutting thru deer or game hair.
    I have several different versions check out these.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2?...qid=1380988062
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I carry a course stone, for " Oh $h!+ " I ruined my knife ( that's never HAPPEND . ) but as for normal ware and tare of the days use. I stroop with my belt ( last of the Filson bridle leather ) and all is good. I've preached this to a few friends over the years, and they all know it's true. Cause I'm the guy they ask about sharpening blade

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    90%? Quit bragging about your dry weather.
    If you think that is dry,.....I probably shouldn't tell you what Utah's summer time average humidity is.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I almost never take anything along to sharpen in the field for several reasons. First, I rarely am afield long enough to dull a quality knife. In my experience a decent quality knife will hold a usable edge plenty long to get through any trip I've had time for. Second, I'm never out with only one knife (part of being a knife nerd!). If I'm planning to be out overnight I almost always have my RAT7 in D2, and it holds a great edge for a long time. Generally I'll have at least one Spyderco folder on my or in my pocket, with a SAK and at least one or two more knives in my pack. Plus I always have at least one Silky folding saw (usually two of them) and sometimes my axe.

Third I don't think the field is an appropriate venue for sharpening. I use Japanese water stones (natural and synthetic) and a belt grinder, and neither of those setups is super portable.

I carry a Smith's Diamond SHARPENER. It has two sides: coarse (325 grit) and fine (600 grit). But I've yet to use them in the scrub as I rarely stay out long enough to dull my knives (I agree with Phaedrus). I use a homemade strop to maintain the edge though...

DomC

I use a small stone that has 2 differen grits on each side, and a piece of ceramic to do the fine edge polish.

I use the fallkniven dc3 (combination of a 25 micron diamond stone and a ceramic plate, only 25 x 75mm and 38g) and my belt to strop

http://www.gerbergear.com/Hunting/Ge...harpener_04307

I added one of these to my kit some time ago. Works fine, doesn't cost much and weighs less than an ounce. I've seen similar products from other brands.

When i'm near the sea, i try to find some flat sea rock. I think a good way to sharpen is to use flat rock everywhere.
    And if i am carry a backpack, probably i will use a DMT diamond sharpener that i have (red).

Hi everybody i'm new!
    Last edited by pupa; 05-27-2014 at 04:34 PM.
    By the word of the Lord were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

He gathereth the waters of the sea together as an heap: he layeth up the depth in storehouses.

Let all the earth fear the Lord: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him.

For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast.

Psalm 33:6-9.

I use the Lansy Tactical diamond sharpening rod in the field - quick and easy !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp