Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what do you use to sharpen Knives in the field?

Default what do you use to sharpen Knives in the field?

my knifes have been getting dull on trips, and my only wetstone which i inherited from my father but its a bit heavy to carry in my pack. i was thinking about getting something like this
    http://www.discountcutlery.net/media/DMTFWF.gif
    what would you guys recommend?

Banned
    Blog Entries

AAAaaaaa carry two knives, or carry three knives, or carry two knives that each have three blades; like having six knives.

Rabbits fear my name.....

Find a nice, lightweight arkansas stone. The ones I have come with a belt pouch. They are the easiest to use (to me), and they are so light you'll forget you have it.

Welcome to the forum. You can use the search feature above to find a lot of threads on knife sharpeners. I carry a DMT diamond mini sharpener in the field.

By the way, you link failed.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Personaly I use a Arkansas and a diamond it keeps my knives in tip top shape is not real heavy either

ordinarily, i would recommend both a file and a whetstone, in the event you need to recover the blade from any serious nicks or dings, in addition to sharpening. if sharpening is your only concern then you can sharpen a blade of most knife steel with many natural materials, such quartz, granite and flint.

my favorite all purpose is a speedy sharp, but good luck finding one. they are cheap, but i don't think they guy who makes them makes many.

it's essentially just a tungsten carbide face on a steel shank [with a rubber handle over the end] which is used to draw across the blade, shaving steel from it to quickly retouch an edge, even add an edge to a cheap factory one. i used mine for my fighting knife, my fillet knife, my hatchet, machete and my swords. i'm sure you could improvise one by modifying a spade type tungsten carbide tipped drill bit, or a tungsten carbide electric planer blade. what matters is that it is significantly harder than the steel you're edging, beveling, sharpening, etc. and resists chipping.

i've sharpened steel blades with flint, but the edge of the stone you use tends to chip with any significant pressure, it only seems good for light resharpening work. i've never even dinged the tungsten carbide.
    Last edited by canid; 08-09-2008 at 07:10 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries

I usually use a fine file that I have strapped to my quiver and my leather belt. Have used river rocks once or twice if needed.

You need to be carefull with files and rocks, you can get a super sharp edge or ya can ruin a good knife.

But then, it's only a knife, a tool, designed to be used, up.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Guess I am one of those nuts that aren't happy unless it will slice a fly in two if it lands on the edge. I have a minimum of 3 on me, right now like I need to cut the computer. I carry a Buck steel, hard Arkansas and medium. I never really let one get dull and I strop every so often on my boot or even the palm of my hand. I guess I use the steel to touch up a skinner and a stone for a convex edge. I like my own with funny looking blades that work better for me.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

now don't get me wrong, the carbide sharpener is [or rather was] just about all i use on my kitchen knives, and my chef's knife will slice tomatoes thin to the point of transparency. it's all about finesse
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I usually carry a sharpener similar to this one http://www.pacwestoutdoors.com/coast...pener-204.html
    it is very lightweight and works very well. Takes a little practice to put a good edge on your knife though.
    "When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead; Only then will you have done your share." -Phil Messina

I use this..

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I hear lots of people complain they cut up your blade but Ive never had a problem with them. I think its a matter of how much pressure you use with this tool. I prefer this tool for its wieght and easy use in the field. Plus it stows easier than anything else Ive used..
    Don't Fear The Ruck..........

Blog Entries

I usually have an Ark stone with me but if I don't I use nice smooth river rock, works great but ya gotta be careful or it'll tear up a blade. I did a blog on knife sharpening check it out.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Welcome to the forum. You can use the search feature above to find a lot of threads on knife sharpeners. I carry a DMT diamond mini sharpener in the field.

By the way, you link failed.
    I carry the same Rick.

The trick is to sharpen your knife regularly so not to let it get to dull. If this happens it takes a heavier stone to put back a basic edge so that the diamond stone can hone it sharp again.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Blog Entries

Cool This might help.

This ad is from one of our sponsors:

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/?g...FQMtswodijVtvA

Check it out.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

I use a "Redi edge" carbide sharpener in the bush. When I get home I use "Lanski" or "DMT" diamond and jig. It works for me!
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

That's the real test isn't it? Whether or not it works for you and provides the edge you want?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Weaponbb7 View Post
    my knifes have been getting dull on trips, and my only wetstone which i inherited from my father but its a bit heavy to carry in my pack. i was thinking about getting something like this
    http://www.discountcutlery.net/media/DMTFWF.gif
    what would you guys recommend?
    Hello I think your tip is oke these items come even smaler than the one on the picture. I use the smaller version and a litle stone with two grades to sharpen my knife. After sharpening with the stone use about 40 strokes on a leather belt to finnish it complete. After that you can use you knife as a raizorblade.

Welcome merlijn. Why not cut your way over to the Introductions section and tell us a bit about yourself?

I carry a small folding diamond lap and a fine arkansas stone with a small bottle of mineral oil to ease the task. I sweeten the edge as I go along before it get "dull"

For sharpening when out, I use a DMT diafold diamond file sharpener. It has a
    medium grit on one side and a fine grit. When I get home, I use an Arkansas
    stone, wet/dry sandpaper on a mouse pad, and a leather strop with green
    compound.

Cheers.