Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of Shotguns...

Question Speaking of Shotguns...

here's a question, if someone fires a shotgun up into the air, say at a skeet target, and you are standing at the far end of the pellets' range, and they arc down and hit you, will it do much damage? this happened to me, but they all missed me, they rained down all around me, and some hit the dirt less than a foot from my feet. there were 4 blasts fired, and all missed me.how much danger was i in?
    ...gonna take a walk outside today...

I wouldn't think much because of their small size (pellets) and they can only reach a certain terminal velocity. Unless you were looking up, then you might would have endangered your eyes.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

No danger, just like a drop of rain. Skeet shot is so small and low powered it's worn out by the time it falls. Now in WV we prefer a Redhawk for skeet. Those might smart.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Come on Smokeless, you can tell us. You shot is straight up in the air didn't you?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I've been out duck hunting and been peppered by other shooters. They can smart if you are close enough but at the range you are talking about most kinetic energy has been absorbed through wind resistance and gravity. You would be more likely to have an eye injury from it that anything.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You werent in much danger even with #4 shot or higher its effective range is 40-50 yds beyond that they lose velocity rather quickly been rained on by bird shot a few times was nothing of course as I say I was bout 60 yds away also

I don't know about bird shot but rock salt hurts.

Rock salt and cut soybeans.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Haven't seen either one of those shot out of a shotgun, but I have seen regular table salt shot out. I don't know if it happens everytime, but when my bro did it, a giant fireball was shot out.
    ~Rocky Balboa

The table salt probably ignited. Even rock dust will explode if the mixture is correct.

That's what I figured, but I would've thought that the salt would have to have been even finer that it was for it to ignite. Needless to say, he didn't do it again.
    ~Rocky Balboa

Rock salt may not explode but is does burn when it hits you and for some time after that too.

I have a mark on my back side from rock salt. It is still there after 40 years.

Skeet? Is that like Snipe hunting? How would you skin and cook a skeet?

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Carefully, Don. Very carefully.

ok thanx, and LOL crash, no i didn't shoot straight up, used to practice cathcing arrows that way, though, to improve the ole hand eye coordination. no this incident happened when i was walking a path to a fishin hole, one which bordered a rod and gun club, and they were skeet shooting(i suppose they were, i couldn't see them thru the trees, just heard the shots then the sound of rain on leaves). i just turned around and went home, called DEP(dept. of enviro protection). they are working on it lol. lots of little fisherkids go there, so i had to.
    ...gonna take a walk outside today...

"To practicing catching arrows"? I don't think "practice" and "catching arrows" should be used in the same sentence. In fact, I'm not sure "catching arrows" should ever be used in a sentence.

Did you ever miss? That had to hurt!

Smokeless - juggle - it's safer.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

You're telling me you shot a bow (what kind) into the air and tried to catch the arrow. I know you would not do that with my PSE compound, no way you'd catch it and it never comes down in the driect path it took, an arrow will come down a dozen or so feet further if that close, but the velocity wil disapate on the return, but its still fast. If you did this (not smart) what types of points did you use. Field point or blunt tip, or I know not broadheads.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Beo - it looked like this.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Sorry Smokeless - couldn't resist.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

lol... thats funny Crash, probably true though.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.