Thread: Better Planning

Default Better Planning

We've talked about planning trips in advance, knowing the terrain, being confident and competent with your equipment. Here's an example of not doing any of that, and thinking that modern equipment is the answer ---- hint - a GPS doesn't know how smart or stupid you are. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20..._lost_convoy_1
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

That's sad. More people will probably take this approach to save money and gasoline yet still vacation. My usual favorite saying: Ignorance is no excuse for stupidity.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Just be aware that they're out there folks. I'm pretty sure those aren't the only geniuses going out into the back country. Sometimes SAR duties just means you're the wandering soul who finds people like that and it's up to you what you're gonna do with them.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Those children almost paid the ultimate price for their parents stupidity.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

One time, a few years back, I was out on one of my favorite fishing lakes, just me and my gear and my canoe and these two paddlers went past. The lake was the last in a series, as far as I know it fed from an underground spring. There was seldom anyone else out that way, one of the reasons I enjoyed being there. Anyway, these guys waved when they paddled past and I waved back and a while later they passed by the other way and then back again. I was bringing in a lake trout and they paddled up beside me and asked how well I knew the lake and I was like "well pretty good I guess"

They pulled their map out and told me they were looking for this exit stream that took them up to the next lake. They were one lake ahead of themselves and had basically lost track or lost count or something. When I showed them that, they both became angry with me. No way they could be that stupid. I said, "well ok, good luck finding that exit then" The lakes ran pretty much north south and the north end of that lake was all rock face. Well, they had a nice day paddling up and down the lake anyway, more fish for me, lol.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

XXL size Jr. Member

Mrs. NT and I have a saying about people like this....

"You know what you'd have called them 100 years ago?" ....

"DEAD".

-NT

You know what you'll call them 100 years from now.....same thing.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

XXL size Jr. Member

Rick- I'd just rather not call them at all- let's just say the number's "unlisted"! LOL

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

When somebody asks me where a trail goes then wants to argue about the answer I just cut them off and tell them you're right. Then I brush out their tracks after they have gone.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    When somebody asks me where a trail goes then wants to argue about the answer I just cut them off and tell them you're right. Then I brush out their tracks after they have gone.
    Yep, never argue with someone who is obviously right.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I saw a GPS once. I'll stick to a Typo map and compass. All those buttons and flashing lights just did not look right to me! That and the $40,000 car it was attached too would not fit in my pack!

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

hrm; typo map sounds trustworthy...
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I bought a map once. Said it was a Typo Map but it was wrong. Must have been a Typo. Hmmm. So maybe it was after all.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

what's a map ? I been in 15 states in last 5 years lived in 3 wish you had told me bout this new wave thing , I still haven't found my self wooooo

Well there you go. If you had used a map you wouldn't have to do all that searching and moving. You can put an X on a map and write "You Are Here" out beside it. That way you always know where you are no matter where you go!

Just a reminder.....it is important to remember......No matter where you go, there you are.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel