Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heineken Cooking Pot Instructions

I too have scraped the inside of soda and beer cans and thought - nothing here. Found this and thought it was interesting http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiment/00000100 (remembered the link this time)
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks, now I have to try another stove. But that's GOOD!
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Presently in Oregon, but leaving soon for Latin America.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Interesting. I've read all that stuff, too. But I've never been able to prove it. I've tried scraping it out and tried burning it out and I see no evidence that the Heineken can has any kind of plastic lining. Nothing burns or bubbles or otherwise comes off.
    Perhaps it is an urban myth? I've always thought it was a coating rather than a lining to separate the aluminum from the contents, similar to tin cans. I'd love to know there is nothing to worry about as I make a mean coffee can brown bread and I'm scouting do-it-yourself stoves currently.

Great work on your stoves!

where can you get metal coffee cans anymore? Everything I find (that's drinkable anyway) comes in plastic these days.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Presently in Oregon, but leaving soon for Latin America.

Grocery Outlet sells S&W Mellow'd Roast in a 34.5 oz can. I'm sure Mellow'd must mean drinkable.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The cheaper brands are still in metal cans around here. The major brands have all gone to plastic.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Quite a few brands at local grocery stores can be found in metal cans.

@WgS - on the link I posted - scroll down a little - you will see the picture of the aluminum can dissolved away, leaving only the plastic liner. Apparently it is to keep the acid in the soda from eating through the can.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well, that explains it. My fume hood is on the fritz. Plenty of sodium hydroxide sitting around but that blasted fume hood.........

If I get down to chewing the water then I'll toss the can.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

I don't like cooking in aluminum; but that is a well thought out and well made little pot..

Could you use a sapporo beer can?

Or maybe a steel reserve can?

Different material, maybe there isn't a liner.

You can use any can you want. The advantage of the Heineken is the size and shape. The ridged shape adds strength to the can. If you look at the Heineken I made, the two ridges make it handy to wind the fiberglass wicking and keep it in place. Aside from that, you can use any can you want.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Nice idea, I might have to give it a try.

Default smaller is better

Just my 2.5 cents worth...I went ahead and "re" uploaded the following video, it's of my 'micro' stove.

I'm probably going to upload other projects that are related this type of forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0mln8lPkO4

Locorogue - I like the size of your stoves and your method of priming. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That is a nice job. Handy little pocket survival stove. Small enough for just about any kit!

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Bulrush - if you can't find any, send me the money - I'll buy them for you and ship the empty cans to you (I won't even charge to ship em)
    you are a born buisness man crash!!!
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Quote Originally Posted by erunkiswldrnssurvival View Post
    you are a born buisness man crash!!!
    Evidently not. I keep checking the mail waiting on the beer - no joy.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That is a nice job. Handy little pocket survival stove. Small enough for just about any kit!
    thanks. i've experimented with smaller stoves, but ended up with this one for the exact reason you stated, any kit. i made one a bit larger that is a 'jet' setup, you can adjust the flame, uploading soon.

I'd like to see that. I'm not a big fan of alcohol stoves in general. Tough when cold and windy but they do have a place, IMHO. Under the right conditions they are excellent. Every other kind of fuel has it's drawbacks, too.

Default agreed

I'd like to see that. I'm not a big fan of alcohol stoves in general. Tough when cold and windy but they do have a place, IMHO. Under the right conditions they are excellent. Every other kind of fuel has it's drawbacks, too.
    *I can't disagree with your statement. And to be honest, i prefer my pocket rocket setup if i'm not allowed to make my own fire.
    *If anyone cares, if you noticed on my stove the bottom is flat, i've found this to be better than the concave bottom of the standard cans, why? flat holds more fuel, distributes the fuel more evenly, and allowed me to keep the stove alot shorter. A comparable thick, flat bottomed aluminum can would actually be the 'aluminum' beer bottles(thickness & diameter are close to the can i use).
    *I've done the testing in the conditions you've stated(windy, cold), and even damp, etc., i'd put the output(btu's) of this thing against anything in comparable size, or even a little larger(in my research).
    *Priming with trioxane(even with jets) is great even in breezy conditions, that's why it's my primer or starter of choice.
    *My thinking is go as small(lite) as you can without sacrificing performance(aren't we all). This stove was it(again, i'm just going to upload the other prototypes).
    *I think the bottom line is just info sharing, obviously this stove is not a necessity, but learning to make either this type, the heineken, coke can, hobo, jets, etc is nice to have in one's repertoire. And if one starts to experiment, they should try to make the different types (experience). And as i don't care for youtube, you can find alot of good stuff there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0mln8lPkO4
    Last edited by locorogue; 08-12-2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: link