Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaf Spring Knife

Default Leaf Spring Knife

I got a little done on my new project to make a leaf spring knife. This will be a slow process so look back at the post and I will try and progress as soon as possible. Keep in mind I work fulltime and am raising a little girl. She graduates kindergarten today. I took the day off to treat her to icecream.

First I placed the precut pc. of leaf sring into a hardwood fire. The object here is to draw the hardened metal back to a more workable state. You need to reach 800 deg. F min. to accomplish this. Afterwards use a file, hacksaw, etc.' try and score the surface of the metal. The file and or saw should bite readily into the material. If the tool just rides on the surface then 800 deg. was probably not acheived.

Next you want to remove the scale from the metal. This stuff is rediculously hard to get off. I began by using 36 grit on a high speed angle grinder. Still it was tough to remove. You can use a rock wheel on the grinder to lightly score the scale and it becomes easier to remove with the 36 grit sanding wheel or a 10/1 solution of water/Hydrochloric acid is easier on the elbows, soak for one hour or until it loosens, use a rag or brush to remove after soaking. I didn't have hydrochloric on hand so at this point I still have more to remove. I will try and get back on this later today. Looks like I could use some tips on sharing my photos on here, any advice?
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 06-24-2009 at 12:35 AM.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Here's some info on posting pictures. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=1318
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Good project. But please don't use a cell phone for taking close up pictures. They generally do poorly with closeups. A regular camera will often have a special mode just for closeups, it's called "macro mode".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the progress.
    Crash, Cowboy is a Q.C. guy by profession - JUST LIKE WE ARE HERE ON THE FORUM!

Care to explain our Q.C. Rules and Regulations to him? http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=2925

*Probably one of the best knives we'll get our hands on.*
    Last edited by Ken; 05-28-2009 at 12:34 PM.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Crash, [SIZE="1"]
    *Probably one of the best knives we'll get our hands on.*
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Still trying to remove the scale!

I drew out what I thought would be The Knife! Well the one I can't buy! I cut it with a Crafstman Indusrtial Grinder and cutting wheels and Grinding wheels.

I took advantage of the material and cut about 80% of the way through and just broke it off with a 3 lb. shop hammer.

OK, if your grinder groans from the work, let it rest! Reminder to self.

Keep cuttin"

Keep cuutin"

Step back and look at her curves!

My Daughter (Cheryl) is learnin' She was helpin" the whole way through!

I guess my leaf spring knife is roughed out!

It is gettin' late ! I promised this post! I actually have gotten a little more done on the leaf spring knife. You all" will have to wait untill tomorrow to see just how far. The grinding discs were standard cutting and 36 grit grinding. I knew I had it drawn back when the vice jaws were scratching it. Oh yaeh and a wet stone course is great for polishing off the scale!
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 05-28-2009 at 11:13 PM.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

Ken,

ISO 9000 IS EVERYWHERE!

Regards,

David S.

That's going to be one great knife. I like the outline you've chosen. Looking forward to seeing more pics.

You're daughter is a cutie. She looks like a pretty good supervisor. She just might give the QC department a run for their money!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Nice work. Looking forward to the progress reports.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Those pics are great! And you have a nice little helper. And that is one thick knife.

Yeah it is thick, I am using rear leaf springs off of a 1983 GMC fullsize pickup. The neat thing is the springs are tapered so the knife at the handle is about 3/8" then tapers down to about 3/16" at the tip of the blade. I haven't started shaping the thickness profile yet. I do intend for it to be thick I want to be able to use the butt as a hammer and be able to strike the back of the blade with a log and not worry about damage. I am wrestling with how to take the slight arch from the handle to the blade tip out? I am not sure how I am going to do that? Any suggestions? I have some ideas, but curious if anyone has done it or what a brainstorm might bring to the table.

Please note in an earlier post I mention using Muratic Acid and water to remove scale. It should have been Hydrochloric Acid and water. I edited the post.

I know next to nothing about metalsmithing, other than what I have learned on this site. My best guess would be to heat the metal until it is maleable and pound the carp out of it, to get rid of the arching. But then, you seem to REALLY know your stuff, so there are probably reasons that you know of, that I don't, as to why that is a bad idea. I do know that over heating can change the properties of the metal for the worse, or maybe for the better... There are a million and one questions I could ask about metalsmithing...I just keep reading, taking notes and hoping I can get a forge set up so I can play. Excellent work on the knife so far...I really enjoy your description of the processes too. Thanks for sharing.
    Turtle Clan/Coffee Addicts Anonymous

Thanks for the encouragement. Well I have decided how I am going to straighten it. Yes I could easily do it with a bigger hammer. I often joke to coworkers just get a bigger hammer! But no I am concerned it will disturb the grain and also may leave tool marks that might not be tough to remove. I am going to try heating it with a propane torch and straighten it. I will post pics as I go. I will need a forge too and have plans for that next, I will need it to harden this project. I will post it as well. There is a process called work hardening where as you do beat the material with a hammer to harden it, but I will need to study that one myself.

Cowboysurvival - did you use the edge of the angle grinder in picture 5 to form the detail on the handle portion?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crash,

Yes I did. 2 things to consider, you won't see a guard on my grinder which allows me to attack the material at any angle necassary. THIS IS NOT SAFE! I HAVE SEEN THESE GRINDERS HURT PEOPLE GOOD! MINE HAS HURT ME GOOD! I will admit that the contour for my forefinger cutout was a bit rough, I used a barrel sander in my drill to accomplish the shape I was after. I will show more in my next post. Using the vice you can turn the knife to any position and should plan each grind with safety in mind. Mostly though just force yourself to take your time! Guess I will start putting together a post for tonight. You guys questions provides great encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by CowboySurvival
    MINE HAS HURT ME GOOD!
    I could be wrong but I think only a masochist would use that line.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks - I just got in the blanks that I had ordered from a sketch. They used a plasma cutter, and I was a bit disappointed on how they turned out. I'll probably start working on them this weekend - just trying to pick up all the tips that I can from folks that know what they are doing. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Thanks - I just got in the blanks that I had ordered from a sketch. They used a plasma cutter, and I was a bit disappointed on how they turned out. I'll probably start working on them this weekend - just trying to pick up all the tips that I can from folks that know what they are doing. Thanks.
    I wish I had a plasma cutter! We use plasma at work it leaves you with an angular cut called "Kerf" and you will want to flatten it, if you use a grinder I would suggest a grinding wheel and not a cutting wheel. The nice thing about the barrel sander is it leaves an almost polished finish. So probably a grinder followed with the barrel sander would be my recommendation. I did get my blade straightened by heating it at 1/3 and 2/3 of the total length and beating it with a hammer and yes it left marks from the hammer but it is flat! So the coffee Icon was right, I am terrible with names especially when they are not real names! I will work on that!

No worries! Glad I could help!!
    Turtle Clan/Coffee Addicts Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I could be wrong but I think only a masochist would use that line.
    The love of a material like steel could tend to make that statement true. After all you have to love what you do for a living and a hobby! Once I was using a Dewalt wire wheel (nasty mean tool) on this same grinder. The wheel bit into the part which I was holding in my other hand (should have been in a vice). It gouged into the hide on the back of my hand quite nicely! So after mumbling some profanity and bandaging myself up. I returned to my work only to have the episode a second time this time removing the bandage and more of the hide in the same spot! Gotta love it!