Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heineken Cooking Pot Instructions

Default Heineken Cooking Pot Instructions

I recently made a few cooking pots out of Heineken cans so I thought I'd share the instructions. It's really pretty easy to do. The materials you will need are:

1. Heineken Keg Can (24 ounces or .7 liters)
    2. 25 feet (7.62 meters) of 1/16 inch fiberglass wicking
    3. One silicone wrist band

I purchased the fiberglass wicking from this site:

https://www.minibulldesign.com/produ...p?idproduct=82

I purchased a 100 yard spool because I wanted to make a few cans but they also sell it in 10 yard spools if you want to make just one. If you look just above the table on their page is says, "Buy Just 10 Yard Hanks of Fiberglass Wick On-Line".

The first thing I did was remove the top of the can using a side cutting can opener. This allows you to use the top as a pot lid if you choose and eliminates any sharp edges on the can.

Next, I wrapped the can with the 1/16 inch wicking to serve as protection from grabbing a hot pot. You start by making a simple overhand loop.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Make the overhand loop as small and as close to the end as you can then cut off the loose tail that is left over.

Next, pass the wicking through the overhand loop.

Pull against the piece attached to the loop until you pull the loop inside out.

Slip this loop over the can and pull against the knot to tighten it.

Begin wrapping the wicking around the can until you reach the other end and complete that end by using the same technique. Make an overhand loop, pass it through the knot and pull the loop inside out. Slip the loop over the top of the can so you can pull against the loop and tighten the final wrap of wicking.

The last thing you need to do is slip the silicone wrist bracelet over the top lip of the can. This will prevent you from placing your lips against a hot metal can and burning them.

The knots will stay taught until you pull them in the opposite direction. This enables you to remove the wicking and place it on a new can if yours becomes damaged. Just move the wicking and the wrist bracelet to the new can.

This is what you wind up with. My wrist band is embossed with "Support Our Troops" but obviously you can use whatever you want.

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Excellent - I can help anyone here drain the cans first. Just send the full cans to the Survival Topics compound in northern NH
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Neat idea. Glad you explained it, because when I looked at your album this morning I wondered what I was looking at. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Big improvement over the coffee can! Excellent Idea Rick!

What are the overall dimensions of the Heineken Keg Can?
    Last edited by Gray Wolf; 08-06-2008 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Question
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

I wish I could take credit for the idea but it's not mine. One I picked up on the net. It's just that no one that I've found has explained how much wicking you need or what knots to use. That part I did have to figure out. As you can see, the Heineken can is a shaped can that resembles a beer keg. That shape also gives it strength. You could use any large beer can but if it doesn't have some type of ribbing built into it then it will crush flat in no time.

The can is 5.5 inches (139.7 millimeters) high with a 3 inch (76.2 millimeters) diameter. It holds 3 cups, 24 ounces or .7 liters, whichever you prefer.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I wonder how a nylon or poly cord would fare. I just made one of these following your instructions and noticed a bunch of little fiberglass hairs on the wick. Yeah fiberglass won't burn at the temps involved but it seems like if the pot has water in it then even boiling the temperature may be low enough to get by with nylon cord tool. I guess there's one way I can find out for sure.

Neat looking pot! Should be enough to motivate me to make a new pot stand.

-Dan

Just curious if you had any trouble with the instructions? Anything that needs to be changed or fleshed out?

As for the nylon/poly, I doubt it would be a problem if you used it on a stove. There isn't that much heat that runs up the side of the can. Where it would be a problem, I think, is an open fire/hot coals. That much heat may cause it to melt. That would be nasty grabbing hot melted nylon!!

Instructions were quite clear. The pictures help.

it all made sense but r u supposed to hold the string or hang it from a stick over a open fire?

Quote Originally Posted by polishpunk View Post
    it all made sense but r u supposed to hold the string or hang it from a stick over a open fire?
    the string is just a built in hotpad so you can pick it up without burning your fingers. It also keeps the contents a little warmer longer.

-Dan

My local Meijer doesn't carry Heineken at all. Do I have to go to the local Chug'a'Jug (corner store) to get it?

Not everyone around here stocks that size can, either. I went to a local gonzo packaged store and they only had five in the fridge racks. Try the largest packaged store around your area.

Bulrush - if you can't find any, send me the money - I'll buy them for you and ship the empty cans to you (I won't even charge to ship em)
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Gee, thanks Crash! What a nice guy! The check is in the mail...

Anything for a friend.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Just go to www.minibulldesign.com/ He is the one that came up with this Design and meany others it's a Great site
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

Blog Entries

Cool Hey buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Smok View Post
    Just go to www.minibulldesign.com/ He is the one that came up with this Design and meany others it's a Great site
    Long time no hear from! Where ya been? We've missed you around here.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

That is a realey cool cook pot. So today I made a Billly Can out of a Hinny can. Built a fire and tried it out, Worked great, Took some Pics, As soon as I finish the film will have Pics. It worked very well.

Presently in Oregon, but leaving soon for Latin America.

I am a little confused and perhaps not reading this correctly. We used to cook outta cans all the time until the inner coating became a known health concern. Sure, I'd still do it in a life/death situation with no other option but I wouldn't want to make a habit of it. Has Heineken done anything different with their kegs since:

http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3679

or did I miss the part where you burned off the inner coating?

Interesting. I've read all that stuff, too. But I've never been able to prove it. I've tried scraping it out and tried burning it out and I see no evidence that the Heineken can has any kind of plastic lining. Nothing burns or bubbles or otherwise comes off.