Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Living in the woods/The Bare Wilderness Numptys!

Quote Originally Posted by Tahyo View Post
    I just went to their web site. I truly hope no one of inexperience takes that site seriously. The information is incomplete and often unclear. I'm sure they may have some experience in recreational hunting and camping, but I think it ends there.
    That's why they're in the NUMPTY thread.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    No, "Nimrod" is a "Tenderfoot", "NUMPTY" is "UK" for "Idiot!"
    Oh... ok. glad I'm not either one....

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    That is exactly what they did crash,they lasted 13 days,couldnt catch anything other than a cold,and had difficulty getting a fire started,so they bailed.last time I went to their site,they were charging to view their adventure in numptiness......
    Was this information on their website? I have a hard time trying to navigate that site... I don't think it was posted here..

Oh... duhhhh.. reader scrolling across banner... didn't notice that.

So, they survived for 13 out a planned 30 days.. does that mean they aren't surviving anymore.. kind of like the blairwitch project? Login huh?? Premium membership??? BULL!!!
    Last edited by Ridge Wolf; 03-31-2008 at 04:05 PM.

No that was from news erports on them.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I think I may have mentioned about 8 pages or so back on this thread that I was done with it, yet here I am, and here's why. Here it is. I can't believe those guys have wound up with a 13 pages thread dedicated to them and their misadventures. I suppose its a good thing for new members to sort of get a sense of what we're about or for newbies to the outdoors to get a sense of how not to behave, but...Yikes, 13 pages and me running off at the mouth about it.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Think of them as a problem child at work. You know the kind. 10% of the employees require 90% of the attention.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    I think I may have mentioned about 8 pages or so back on this thread that I was done with it, yet here I am, and here's why. Here it is. I can't believe those guys have wound up with a 13 pages thread dedicated to them and their misadventures. I suppose its a good thing for new members to sort of get a sense of what we're about or for newbies to the outdoors to get a sense of how not to behave, but...Yikes, 13 pages and me running off at the mouth about it.

In a sense, something like this is occasionally useful when you have the appropriate responses pointing out the "error of one's ways" as it has in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Think of them as a problem child at work. You know the kind. 10% of the employees require 90% of the attention.
    that is so true.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Ive actually learned quite a bit from these two like how NOT to plan a trip
    Life is a path that cannot be seen but must be walked

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Ive actually learned quite a bit from these two like how NOT to plan a trip
    Shhhhhh. They may send you a bill for their expertise.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I would just refer them to trax's story about the tax man lol

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    Well, it certainly turns out that they are controversial... and in that, they are good businessmen... and business is apparently what they wanted to generate... So, good business tip.... Controversy sells!!

unless you need SAR or a bodybag

Default Northern Ontario Wilderness Adventure

Hey guys. Im looking for a bit of advice.
    My friend and I (Ages 16 and 17) will be going to live in the Northern Ontario Wilderness (around the timmons area) for about a week in Late june, just after school ends. It may be more depending on how well we do.
    We both own air rifles and are frequent fishermen. We are planning on surviving mainly off of fish and most likely small game like squirrels. We want to plan everything out perfectly before we go.

Any advice at all would be helpful.
    Thanks, Shifty.
    Last edited by Shifty; 04-05-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Well Shifty, looks like you picked the right thread to ask your question. Before I, and others answer, how about going here http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14 to introduce yourself. Tell us a bit about your experience in the wilds, hobbies, ya know that sort of thing. Nothing too personal. This will give us a better idea on what advice to give you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Default about me

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...9738#post39738

K i made a little somehting about myself. Not much, but it shows a bit where i am coming from.

A course in survival would not be an option for me at this point, for various reasons. So instead i am trying to gather as much information about survival in northern ontario as i can.

any help would be great!
    thanks. Shifty

Shifty, based on the information you have provided, I would recommend against going out into the wilds to test yourself for a week or more. IMO the best way to test yourself and your skills is to go camping with all of your gear. If you want to start fire using only primitive methods fine. But at least you will have your gear with you if you need it. Build your own shelter - go for it. The tent is your back-up. Want to eat off the land - sure why not. A little rice and beans or some camp food will be there if you need it. There is absolutely no good reason to put yourself in a potential life and death situation on purpose. What you are suggesting is dangerous and I don't recommend it. Take a look at the blogs. Sarge, one of the moderators has posted some useful information there (as have others) but some of his stuff is targeted toward what you are trying to do.

Stay with the forums, ask questions, learn. Do not get upset if you don't always get the answer you want.....sometimes it's the answer that you need.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 04-05-2008 at 09:42 PM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Shifty,
    Read this entire forum to start with. There is tons of good advice here and at the top of the list, the best advice starts with Crash's initial advice to you.

What Crash told you is wise and true. I have a little bush time behind me and I still take back ups for my back up. Do not go off on a triip to test youself without everything you would need , leave it in your pack if you want to but DO NOT put yourself in harms way for some macho idea of testing yourself.
    Any goverment big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have...T Jefferson

Blog Entries

Cool Hi Shifty!

I'm reserving any answer until yo reveal if you're a "Numpty", Nimrod", or serious student. Your answers will tell.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin