Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Living in the woods/The Bare Wilderness Numptys!

I spent this evening on and off reading this thread and do believe I'll keep an eye out on it to see how these two made out.

Haven't checked their website since they first appeared, but I'm willing to bet they will charge money to view their stupidity.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That is exactly what they did crash,they lasted 13 days,couldnt catch anything other than a cold,and had difficulty getting a fire started,so they bailed.last time I went to their site,they were charging to view their adventure in numptiness......
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

if they were truly out for the quest of knowledge and to make money fine but to up and run away after thier failure shows me allot about them, swallow yer pride boys and show everyone what you learned maybe your failure( which i see as a learning opportunity) will help some other newbie not make a fatal mistake..

always be prepared-prepare all ways

I guess it never was about surviving in the wilderness. Kind of figures judging from their attitude on the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

WE is right. There really isn't any failure. It's all a learning experience. And I'm here to tell you I've learned some stuff in a really big non-failure way before.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Those two are idiots they should post on bevis and butthead I plan on a trip too 4 people and a dog 1 canaidian wilderness and 400 pounds of cargo for 3 months with a year of training to go and a year behind us
    Life is a path that cannot be seen but must be walked

I know some of you are way more familiar with parts of Manitoba than I am.
    Way back in 73 (giving up my age), I went to Gods Lake (there's an island, I forget the name), on a fly in fishing trip for my graduation. It was in July.
    Now mind you, back then I knew how to hunt, trap and survive the marshes and swamps of La. as that's the environment I was raised in, but I was so out of my element up there and the one thing I will never forget were the mosquitoes. Fishing was fun up until that guide pulled that boat into the mouth of this one river and the swarms of "sqeeters" came out of there in black clouds.

like i posted on a thread somewhere else, most accidents can be prevented with trainng, patience and common sense. the risk for accidents are there, its how you deal with the situation means the differance between body bag or a great trip. I know I lack in experiance but before I thrust myself and my 3 boys into a situation we are all working on learning and preparing. Other than basic hikes and camping trips, hunting and fishing trips my boys have some knowledge but not nearly enough to survive if we get seperated. Tonite I asked my 13 y/o how long he could survive with only a knife his response was how long does it take to starve. he thought it was funny I didnt and after I explained some of the things that could happen on our trip he lost his smile and opened the book to figure out what he could eat and how

Excalibur - I know that you are doing the studying with your boys for the trip. Are you planning several shorter trips with them as part of the training? Maybe start with 2-3 day trips then progress to longer ones?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tahyo View Post
    I know some of you are way more familiar with parts of Manitoba than I am.
    Way back in 73 (giving up my age), I went to Gods Lake (there's an island, I forget the name), on a fly in fishing trip for my graduation. It was in July.
    Now mind you, back then I knew how to hunt, trap and survive the marshes and swamps of La. as that's the environment I was raised in, but I was so out of my element up there and the one thing I will never forget were the mosquitoes. Fishing was fun up until that guide pulled that boat into the mouth of this one river and the swarms of "sqeeters" came out of there in black clouds.
    I dont even notice them anymore......

Its like those starving african children commercials on sunday mornings.....flies crawling all over their faces.......we just get us to it.

yes next weekend is our 15th trip a short hike about 3 miles followed by a 3 mile canoe trip broken into 1 day to hike rest spent fishing 1 day on the water also fishing with the last day at the boat ramp going over rollover drills and water survival

Good plan. Keep it up.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

thanks I hope we dont need all the training and just have a blast

atleast they made it out alive mabey next time they will make it. Even failure is a learning tool if we are wise enough to listen (unless were dead)

by the way I am still wet behind the ears here could someone explain to me what the heck is a numpty

Default Go to a professional survival school before trying this..

I have only read down to half way on the third page of this thread.. I can't give them enough survival information I wouldn't know where to start with these guys..

Over the last 8 or 9 months... I have been building a survival 'pack' and am still building it ... before I even go out there by myself... and I am packing in all the information that I can find and learn before I go out there by myself.. and I am talking beyond the standard 'campsites'.. 'campgrounds'.. whatever.

The best advise I can give them on such short notice.. 30 days (or less?) I don't know when this thread was started... is to get theirselves to a professional survival school and pay the price to attend that for a month before doing it on their own.

The reason that I am building a survival 'pack' and learning all that I can from here and other places on my own.. is that I can't afford to go to a professional school... I wish I could.. but money and time are against me at present. But that is the best advice I can give them.

Without doing that or taking as much time as I am taking to be prepared for it and 'know' the information... I would say .. "don't go" !!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    by the way I am still wet behind the ears here could someone explain to me what the heck is a numpty
    tenderfoot..

Blog Entries

Cool Correction!

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge Wolf View Post
    tenderfoot..
    No, "Nimrod" is a "Tenderfoot", "NUMPTY" is "UK" for "Idiot!"
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I just went to their web site. I truly hope no one of inexperience takes that site seriously. The information is incomplete and often unclear. I'm sure they may have some experience in recreational hunting and camping, but I think it ends there.