Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Living in the woods/The Bare Wilderness Numptys!

Adrian you don't have to have or make tools to survive, but you must have knowledge. Not knowing which plant to eat may poison or kill you. Plants can trick you, you may accidentally eat a poisoned plant that looks like a non-poisoned. Ever thought of anti-venom? The rule be prepared is applied on both animals and humans. I know only one anti-venom INFORMATION REMOVED BECAUSE IT IS INCORRECT.
    Last edited by Rick; 02-11-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Posted wrong and Dangerous information

That's not only completely wrong but dangerous to be posting that kind of information. Someone may believe you and try it. Since your posts have been so off the wall and so wrong you need to start posting supporting documentation. Maybe if you actually do a search to support yourself you might learn something.

I've edited your post because it is totally wrong.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Phew!! BH You are gonna' Get someone killed!! Please stop with the Nonsense!! Right now the biggest poison around here is your false notions of how to survive.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Not to mention that you're posting to someone who hasn't been around for several years. Both of them failed on their mission because they wouldn't listen to others. Also, like Rick said, you need to do some research and post that, or links to it.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Default Self-Subsisting

You all seem very well versed in self-subsisting survival. I'm not asking about anything as extreme as two people walking into Northern Canada with nothing but a camera, clothes and a knife. I am a 19 year old female. I ask that you do not hold my gender against me. I understand my age may be of concern, but I don't feel as if me gender will hinder me at all. I'm curious about spending a month, perhaps two during the summer in the Appalachian Mountains alone. I would be in a cabin, but would like to be as self-subsisting as possible. Do you have any general recommendations of items that may not come to mind immediately that would be helpful?

Yes, several. First, why not stop by our Introductions section and tell us a bit about yourself. What kind of outdoor experience do you have? Can you identify wild edibles? Having you done any camping? Extended camping? The more we know about your background the more we can help answer your questions. What I would tell someone with no experience is vastly different than what I would tell someone that has spent multiple weeks camping in the wild.

Neither your age nor your gender make a difference other than some precautions that any woman would want to take when she is alone in the woods.

You might also want to review this thread. While it doesn't specifically apply to you it will give you some general ideas what we are looking for in terms of experience.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ve-in-the-Wild
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    UM if he can afford to pay people for a TV show why cant he afford a real email address, Gmail is kinda like a hotmail addy , ya know what I mean.
    Not that this is the case to which you are referring, but some internet providers do not have servers, so provide no email. Up here in Alaska, some of us are just lucky to get the "internet waves over an antenna". So if we want email we have to use something such as gmail.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

little cabin on the river. NE interior AK

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    UM if he can afford to pay people for a TV show why cant he afford a real email address, Gmail is kinda like a hotmail addy , ya know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Not that this is the case to which you are referring, but some internet providers do not have servers, so provide no email. Up here in Alaska, some of us are just lucky to get the "internet waves over an antenna". So if we want email we have to use something such as gmail.

Plenty of documented cases of people going out into the wilderness in Alaska unprepared thinking they were just going out into the woods and subsist and live off the land...and died! Even in the summer! You have to do your research and be prepared! Also, a lot of folks just can't wrap themselves around the isolation, even for just a week can really mess with your head if you aren't ready for it.

And Gmail? What 1stimestar said... Gmail is far superior to hotmail or yahoo, no comparison at all. I have a server email but I prefer Gmail email to anything else I've tried so far...No spam what-so-ever, and I can access my email from any computer.

Grandma Lori
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit
    ~Ed Abbey