Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Living in the woods/The Bare Wilderness Numptys!

Default Living in the woods/The Bare Wilderness Numptys!

What would you take with you if you were going to live in the woods for a year? Try to limit your self to two trips into your camp bringing only 35 lbs of gear or less each trip.

On my first trip I would bring
    3 pairs of camo pants
    10 pairs of socks
    8 t-shirts
    1 flanel shirt
    1 jacket
    1 pair of shoes(id be wareing boots)

1 magnisium fire starter
    1 eastwing ax

trip 2
    light pan set
    15 pairs underware
    springfield m6 scout rifles
    lee loader with componets for reloading ammo
    glock 22 pistol and 75 rounds of ammo
    ruger single six revolver and 500 rounds of ammo.
    my leatherman
    sog folding knife
    glock fixed blade knife
    wind-up raido
    backpacking sleeping bag
    tarp
    flashlight/bat
    folding saw
    folding spade
    rope and cord
    fishing gear
    water bottle
    I would be in the sierras around 4,500 feet elevation and build a good dome shelter with a small fire pit inside.

I have allways wanted to do this but have only made it a month in the wild.

look up www.aloneinthewilderness.com then read the book and but the video. it is the most inspiring story i have evr seen.

why limit to 35 lbs. per trip and how much does trip 2 weigh?

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    look up www.aloneinthewilderness.com then read the book and but the video. it is the most inspiring story i have evr seen.
    Oddly enough, one of the local PBS stations just aired this this past weekend. I was riveted (and not just a bit jealous...) I wasn't aware that there was a book, but I'll be looking for that soon...
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the whole world know that today is the day of reckoning
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

i first saw it on pbs also, it was one of their most succsefull programs in the history of pbs, i firt watched it about 3 yrs ago, over and over and over, then i bought the book and video. maybe try www.pbs.org and then look it up alos called one mans wilderness.

Blog Entries

Now I know what you're talking about. I also watched it years ago, PBS was having a money drive and this is what they were showing. For a donation you would get the dvd set.

Guys a workhorse.

very inspiring old timer at 52 he wwnt to twin lakes alaska built his cabin and lived there alone until he was 86. thats 34yrs of primitive skills folks.

If I were going to do this for this long, I wouldn't care how much stuff I took... of course, I can only take so much, but I wouldn't put a limit on it...
    Strider
    I take paths untrodden...

Troutndeer;
    I commend you in your list, I am sure you thought heavilly on the list of items you chose to pack through the brush.
    Writing from the school of experience, I am sure you will have many things on your list you can well do without, and maybe replace with such luxury items like spice, salt, and emergency rations to hold you over till you can build up a ready local supply of food to hold you over to spring break up.
    By the time you walk your way into where you will have your camp, you will well be feeling every ounce in your pack, and as such you will rethink your logic several times before you reach your camp site.
    I am not sure, but why have 3 knives? I have a pocket knife with three blades. If you are going to be in the brush for only 1 year why would you want to have a loader and all the supplies to make your own shells? I commend you in doing your own reloading, but a box of 20 rounds should be more than enough to hold you over unless you are a very poor shot.
    I would have my reservations in having a side arm, this is only my thing, but if it is for protection, something big bad and nasty coming after you where you would need the pistol, you may want to rethink stepping up from a .22 to something with a good magnum kick to it. I packed a .357 mag. in the brush of Alaska, and I still felt naked, when I had a cow moose take exception with me. In that situation a .22 would only make the animal even more mad.
    I can see you spent some time in deciding what you would need to pack into the brush with you, maybe you need to load your back pack and take it for a walk, sort of getting it to load right, or call it a test run.
    A dome shelter is a good strong shelter to choose, I have made my share.
    After making mine, I took time to excavate from the inside to put the floor well below the frost line banking the dug dirt around the sides of the dome for additional insulation.
    Before taking the plunge, make some pratice runs, you will surprise yourself in things you will learn.

I think that I would take some tools (saw, axe etc) and a lot of rice and some vegtable seeds and a few esentials like salt , some thing to take big game a rifle would be nice but a bow would work and some snares . I know that some of these things could be foraged or made in the wild but starting with quality items don't hurt.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

Default Alone in the Wilderness

This October my friend and I are going to walk in the Northern Manitoba Wilderness with nothing but what we are wearing and a knife. We will not be bringing any lighter, food, or supplies. Neither of us know a lot about wild foods. I would love some suggestions for food seeing as 30 days is a long time to eat the same thing. By the way we will be posting video of our experiences every day so everyone can watch us while we are there. Our website is www.*************.com Thanks for any information you can give me
    Last edited by Sarge47; 09-28-2007 at 05:12 PM.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    This October my friend and I are going to walk in the Northern Manitoba Wilderness with nothing but what we are wearing and a knife. We will not be bringing any lighter, food, or supplies. Neither of us know a lot about wild foods. I would love some suggestions for food seeing as 30 days is a long time to eat the same thing. By the way we will be posting video of our experiences every day so everyone can watch us while we are there. Our website is www.***********com Thanks for any information you can give me
    You're going out into the wilderness carrying practically nothing for a month in Northern Canada without knowing much of anything about wild foods, right? That is most unwise. Why in the world do you want to do that? Are you trying to compete with Les Stroud & Bear Grylls for a Discovery slot? I guess we could call it "Stupidman!"
    Last edited by Sarge47; 06-03-2009 at 10:29 PM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Here's 15 things I'd take.
    No guns. Guns are for pussies.

Here we go, in no set order:
    * Leatherman multitool (or similar brand)
    * Good gortex boots with gortex socks.
    * Gortex jacket
    * Petzl headlamp
    * 1 hoochie
    * At LEAST 6m of paracord
    * Flint striker
    * Bottle of antiseptic
    * My army canteen with messtin
    * Talcom powder (you know, baby powder). Stops you from getting trench foot.
    * two pairs of cloths. One to keep dry, one to wear when it's wet.
    * Boomerang
    * Kuhkuri (gurkha blade)
    * A roll of wire (for snares etc)
    * My 75L rucksack

That's about it. I could survive on that, piece of piss.

Blog Entries

Angry Apology.

Quote Originally Posted by SOE digital View Post
    Here's 15 things I'd take.
    No guns. Guns are for pussies.

Here we go, in no set order:
    * Leatherman multitool (or similar brand)
    * Good gortex boots with gortex socks.
    * Gortex jacket
    * Petzl headlamp
    * 1 hoochie
    * At LEAST 6m of paracord
    * Flint striker
    * Bottle of antiseptic
    * My army canteen with messtin
    * Talcom powder (you know, baby powder). Stops you from getting trench foot.
    * two pairs of cloths. One to keep dry, one to wear when it's wet.
    * Boomerang
    * Kuhkuri (gurkha blade)
    * A roll of wire (for snares etc)
    * My 75L rucksack

That's about it. I could survive on that, piece of piss.
    Sorry for the earlier rant, SOE, these guys just sound like a couple of "numptys" to me!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

I guess we are witnessing what is worse than the "backpack survivor."

Throw in at least a wool blanket, flint and steel, and a canteen with a canteen cup.

At least that.

Blog Entries

Many a child journeys

this high to be different.

To get from here what their natures

couldn't get them below.

lt comes to nothing.

Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim.

Mountain got it....

Mountain's got its own ways.

This October my friend and I are going to walk in the Northern Manitoba Wilderness with nothing but what we are wearing and a knife. We will not be bringing any lighter, food, or supplies. Neither of us know a lot about wild foods. I would love some suggestions for food seeing as 30 days is a long time to eat the same thing. By the way we will be posting video of our experiences every day so everyone can watch us while we are there. Our website is www.*************.com Thanks for any information you can give me
    I think you guys will have a blast! I'm pretty jealous actually. Don't listen to the bum nay-sayers, and don't let them scare you off, as they will be enthralled by any updates you can give us. I think it's a great idea and only wish i could go along. just look around the site I'm sure you'll find what the wolf pack (what we call ourselves) can offer.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 09-28-2007 at 05:14 PM. Reason: web-site signature violation.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Are you kidding me?

Quote Originally Posted by spiritman View Post
    I think you guys will have a blast! I'm pretty jealous actually. Don't listen to the bum nay-sayers, and don't let them scare you off, as they will be enthralled by any updates you can give us. I think it's a great idea and only wish i could go along. just look around the site I'm sure you'll find what the wolf pack (what we call ourselves) can offer.
    Spiritman please don't encourage these guys. They are obviously ill-prepared to go out in the woods of Northern Canada for 30 days with very little in the way of equipment or knowledge. This is like taking a survival course backwards and having a novice start out with the final exam as their 1st test! I, for one, will NOT be going to their web-site, although it does bring up one question: If all they're taking is the clothes on their back and a knife, who's running the web-cam?
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

This October my friend and I are going to walk in the Northern Manitoba Wilderness with nothing but what we are wearing and a knife. We will not be bringing any lighter, food, or supplies. Neither of us know a lot about wild foods. I would love some suggestions for food seeing as 30 days is a long time to eat the same thing. By the way we will be posting video of our experiences every day so everyone can watch us while we are there. Our website is www.***********.com Thanks for any information you can give me
    What do you know about wild foods so far? I know a little about plants but I don’t know what all grows in that area.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 09-28-2007 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Web-site signature violation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Spiritman please don't encourage these guys. They are obviously ill-prepared to go out in the woods of Northern Canada for 30 days with very little in the way of equipment or knowledge. This is like taking a survival course backwards and having a novice start out with the final exam as their 1st test! I, for one, will NOT be going to their web-site, although it does bring up one question: If all they're taking is the clothes on their back and a knife, who's running the web-cam?
    It's something they are excited about, and if they really are gonna do it then they had better do a good job of it. We aren't gonna make them NOT go sarge, so we should do all we can to help. I think you could give them some really good advice and they are going to need it. They had better post us as a source! lol but seriously they ARE actively trying to prepare, thats a good sign. It's not like they are my age and ADD with A $1000 knife and think they are invincible. We could AT LEAST give advice about what cloths and knives, and to have some way to make an sos signal other than fire for someone watching for it.

Do you have any of your constructive advice? I am interested in what you would tell them.