Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hares and Rabbits

A survival book I once read suggested rabbits as being a good source of food to cultivate in captivity, because they are easy to feed, and breed rapidly.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

hundreds of thousands of people world wide would probably agree. cuniculture is a more common practice than many people think [based on the bizare looks people have given me over the subject].
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Welcome maximilian. Why not worm your way over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

There is Cottontails everywhere around my house, and they're so used to human activity that I can walk up to a mature rabbit and pick them up. I just can't hunt them because when I bring out my bow I get crazy looks from my neighbors.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

If you're taking them for food, and can just pick them up.........
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

I agree Crash, out to the garage or down to the basement and "SNAP!" that neck or "CHUNK!" that head off and skin away in the stationary tub, then its time to eat.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho117 View Post
    There is Cottontails everywhere around my house, and they're so used to human activity that I can walk up to a mature rabbit and pick them up. I just can't hunt them because when I bring out my bow I get crazy looks from my neighbors.
    Just take out the neighbors first!!!
    Walk softly upon the earth!

No my next door neighbors kids Joe and Brian are letting me set a couple simple snares near well used openings in thier bushes beside there houses. I just hope there parents don't find out. The only problem with the Rabbits is if I do shoot one they scream sometimes really loud and people will know. That happened to me before and I thought I almost got caught. It happened near the football field, I put an arrow between the calf muscle of the Rabbit and it flopped around screaming really loud. I thrust my knife in its head after. I hope I can get one near my house soon.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

OK - I'll ask. What are you shooting rabbits for? and what are you doing with them after you shoot them?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I wasn't gonna ask
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Yeah, didn't want to get into another nail in a stick thing, but there may be a teaching/learning opportunity.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Jericho, killing rabbits or any other animal is NOT a sport! If you want to get better with your bow, get a target!!!
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

I eat them. Think before you speak. Lol. I don't believe in hunting for sport. I like to boil them with sprinkled Sassafras leaves. I don't waste the blood eithier. Whatever I kill I eat.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

Im good with my bow, if I want to practice I aim at this bundle of dry grass in my backyard.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

And please don't assume im doing something a certain way.......lol. I hunt for food, no other reason
    KILL OR BE KILLED

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho117 View Post
    There is Cottontails everywhere around my house, and they're so used to human activity that I can walk up to a mature rabbit and pick them up.
    Then why are you shooting them with a arrow?

I put an arrow between the calf muscle of the Rabbit and it flopped around screaming really loud. I thrust my knife in its head after.
    And making them suffer?

Never mind, I'm assuming again. They might have enjoyed flopping around screaming really loud, and having your knife thrust in their head.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

yeah im sure they did, lets not have one of these inmature arguements there not worth it
    KILL OR BE KILLED

Hey its just a rabbit, and the fact that he can hit one with a bow is impressive to me. If you can hit a rabbit with a bow you can hit the killzone on a deer with no problem. I've never personally taken small game with a bow but I know plenty who have. I even once seen a guy on TV hit a pheasant out of the air with a bow while he was walking out from his deer stand. And if you really need archery practice (or a good laugh) watch this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyPaxIpoyM0

As for the whole 'liver disease' thing, I've never heard of it. However I do know this, if you shoot an animal when theres snow on the ground, it may be best to let them sit for a few minutes so the ticks and fleas will jump off the cooling body and freeze in the snow. We always do so we dont end up like my buddy with lyme disease. Also I have once shot a squirell that I though had mange, maybe it was worms, anywho, I left it for the scavengers. Theres too many squirells around here to take that chance.
    Last edited by coldkill13; 08-28-2008 at 03:43 PM. Reason: fergot somethin

In my opinion the goal is to kill the animal on the first attempt,not having an animal screaming in agony. No humor in that at all,even IF he hit a rabbit with a bow.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by coldkill13 View Post
    Hey its just a rabbit, and the fact that he can hit one with a bow is impressive to me. If you can hit a rabbit with a bow you can hit the killzone on a deer with no problem. I've never personally taken small game with a bow but I know plenty who have. I even once seen a guy on TV hit a pheasant out of the air with a bow while he was walking out from his deer stand. And if you really need archery practice (or a good laugh) watch this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyPaxIpoyM0
    I'm thinking of some big ol' grizzly bear saying to himself "hey it's just a human"....

I once saw a guy on TV walk through the Great Wall of China, I think his name was David Copperfield....now you youngsters get out there and try eveything you see on TV OK? (back up kids, that's called sarcasm) And don't worry if what you're doing involves animal torture, it's not like there's already organized groups of anti-hunters protesting everything all hunters (even the responsible ones) do.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"