Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hares and Rabbits

many people will advise not to eat any animal with signs of disease, such as organic lesions, abnormal, sluggish behavior, stupor, etc and this is good practice, but many people get by just fine by simply avoiding obvious sings [the stupor, or sluggishness, as i believe was advised in a USDA pamphlet i once read] and by safe handling. that seems fine to me, but i also advise people to be as careful as they feel nessecary. it's your health afterall.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Well, I'm going to start walking around in a stupor. Zombies are sure to leave me alone if they think I'm sick.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Just tell the Zombies you have worms Rick, they will back away.

Well, I am from Kentucky. There is definitely something to this summer thing. There is something called "woolves" (not sure how it is spelled or if this is scientific name). It is a parasite they get that causes cysts under the skin. They always say around here that you don't hunt them in a month with an "r" in it (May, June, July and August). They are also susceptible to tularemia. I haven't been able to find out more about this but I would love to know the truth. Any vet's out there?

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Default Got That Right

Quote Originally Posted by gourdhead1997 View Post
    Well, I am from Kentucky. There is definitely something to this summer thing. There is something called "woolves" (not sure how it is spelled or if this is scientific name). It is a parasite they get that causes cysts under the skin. They always say around here that you don't hunt them in a month with an "r" in it (May, June, July and August). They are also susceptible to tularemia. I haven't been able to find out more about this but I would love to know the truth. Any vet's out there?
    I know what you are talking about. The first thing I ever saw them in was a squirrel. They look like a great big worm and I never flipped one out to take a good look. Seems like a lot more in Eastern KY and Southern WV in the last 10 yrs or so. Not that many people hunt anymore and lots more game than when I was a kid. I don't know anyone in KY that hunts them now. Way, Way back when I was always told to never shoot one sitting or didn't run like crazy from a dog. If you find out for sure PM me and let me know, I'm curious why they have been around over 100 yrs that I was told. I wouldn't even bother to clean them.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

i never thought of eating muskrat. i always trap them and just take there fur . and then feed the meat to the coyotes but mabye i will try to eat it. how do you recommend i cook it.

try stewing them, roasting them, etc.

basically i find you get the best texture out of anything that you cook whole and that has small appendages if you do it in a way that keeps them from drying out to much. this can be as simple as tying them before roasting, as you might do with fowl, to cooking them in their broth or a stew.

alternately, you could dress them out and butcher them and cook them like any other small cut or chopped meat.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

this "woolves" thing as i understand it are some kind of fly larvae, maybe blowfly? i have ate squirels that had them on them. i read a story one time about some native american hunters who took an elk and got into a fight over which one would get the "woolve" off its back as they considered them a delicasy.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

Down here, most people will not hunt small game b4 the first frost because they are full of the "wolves" parasites. I do not know exactly what it is but the first frost kills them and gets rid of most of them.

Can someone post a link on this parasite? I can't seem to find anything related on the web but would like to know specifically what it is. Perhaps it's a regional thing. Our squirrel season begins August 15, long before the first frost, and I've never encountered a problem.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick - I'm not familiar with the problem, but found this http://www.bio.net/bionet/mm/parasit...st/000948.html
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Bot flies!! Thanks! I suppose we have those in Indiana but I've never seen an animal infected with them.

good link crash. i saw where they are also called warbles.

Thumbs down Whatever they are

Quote Originally Posted by chiggersngrits View Post
    good link crash. i saw where they are also called warbles.
    I guess that's what they are. I just was told not to hunt or eat them if they had em. Must be more of a regional thing. I don't think I could handle eating one.

well i am not eating the worm just the squirrel that came with it. its been awhile but best i can remember when you skin the squirrel out the worm comes off with it with just a small dark spot on the meat were the "woolve" was. most often they were on the back of the squirrel just behind the front shoulders. i mostly just cooked up the front and hind quarters not much meat on the back and ribs.

Default woolves

Quote Originally Posted by chiggersngrits View Post
    well i am not eating the worm just the squirrel that came with it. its been awhile but best i can remember when you skin the squirrel out the worm comes off with it with just a small dark spot on the meat were the "woolve" was. most often they were on the back of the squirrel just behind the front shoulders. i mostly just cooked up the front and hind quarters not much meat on the back and ribs.
    The only place I've seen them is on the neck and a few on each side of the neck. They could have been attached the the front of the leg for all I remember. We just didn't mess with them. Can't remember them on their back but sounds like they could be anywhere. I learned something new for a change.

Thanks for the info, Crash. I am glad to finally know what these things were.

Glad it was useful. As I said, I'm not familiar with the problem but that's all I could find that made sense.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well I'm glad to finally find out what these things are. Here in NW Georgia I've seen them mostly in my farm cats, all my life. They get in the cats' necks where they can't lick, sometimes two at a time. So far the best medication I've found is "blue lotion ointment," a local antiseptic we use for animal wounds. Anyone with better ways to remove them from live animals? Dad always called them "wolfs" too.
    I never saw one in wild game but I've gone by that rule involving the months with r's in them.